Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32

Author Topic: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]  (Read 165828 times)

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
Re: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2015, 01:38:38 pm »

This amuses me. yes.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2015, 01:58:06 pm »

This amuses me. yes.

Suddenly beer covered my screen.
Nice pun.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2015, 02:20:59 pm »

That is a min and max.
All it means is there is a guaranteed 1 million and 1 demons to hack through before hell can really be called "cleansed".
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2015, 02:30:03 pm »

That is a min and max.
All it means is there is a guaranteed 1 million and 1 demons to hack through before hell can really be called "cleansed".

Now here is someone who thinks like a dwarf.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2015, 02:52:03 pm »

All you really need to kill all of hell's demon population is a ridiculously good computer and large amounts of adamantine. Build some adamantine weapon traps (artifact weapons don't jam, right?) and block off all other routes to your fort, including aerial ones. Make sure to add a u-turn in the route to keep fire-breathers from setting dwarves or other stuff you have at the end of that route on fire. Continue on for a long time, sending tame animals to attract the attention of demons who don't want to path to your fort. Assuming that you manage to kill twenty demons per month, you need to continue for four thousand, one hundred and sixty-six years. Tough, but with a great computer, it should be doable in theory as long as you stay pre-DF2014. In practice, save corruption would cause issues long before you'd reach your first millennium, so you'd need to save backups each month.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2015, 03:58:06 pm »

Demons are trap-immune. However, the same can be accomplished with repeating spikes, which is what I used to kill the demon rush in Bastiongate.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2015, 04:08:14 pm »

Shame about the siege. With unlimited migrants you could just devote 1/2 of the dwarves to marksdwarf demon patrol and take each one down by means of MORE DAKKA!
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2015, 09:14:21 pm »

That is a min and max.

I think it means that until you seal off the edges the region will continue to load more of them off screen which can then wander over to your fort.

As an example I've got a world I generated back before I started adventuring a lot which has goblins still using trolls (I removed them to cut lag in gob sites since they just stand around passively) and several of the goblin civs were exterminated by my military and their neighbors but those sites still have trolls. When ambushes come out of their sites they are always composed of trolls or occasionally goblins that wandered in from another site.

If I go in and kill every troll down there they will respawn the instant I'm off screen.

If I set the minimum to 1 and the maximum to 1000001 there might not be a thousand every time I zone in but they will respawn still. If I set the maximum to 100 and kill them all when I come back they will respawn.

If it was just a matter of killing them I'd be ok with setting a lower cap for the troll pops but they always come back.

As an example:
Code: [Select]
        10388227 acorn flies
        201897 moghoppers
        966328 fireflies
        8142234 flies
        466676 jumping spiders
        11435909 mosquitos
        [...snip...]
        34152 fire imps
        34573 fire men
        61338 magma crabs
        Unnumbered stegosaurid devils
        Unnumbered wraiths of shadow
        Unnumbered jay monsters
        Unnumbered theropod devils
        Unnumbered porcupine monsters
        [..snip..]
        756637 creepy crawlers
        562723 cave spiders
        352923 purring maggots

Know what that says to me? You'll run out of cave spiders and creepy crawlers before you run out of demons.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2015, 04:31:49 am »

Too bad. Hmmm, does this apply to DF2014? !!SCIENCE!! may be required (if you set the maximum number of demons to 120, and kill the clown car plus 20 more, will demons stop entering your map? Do you need to kill 220?). I think my plan could still work if you added a GCS to web the traps, then turned the fortifications required for the webbing into walls and then removed a wall blocking off outside access to the corridor.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2015, 05:33:13 am »

That's from 2014, I assume the pops were mostly the same in 2012 but imma newb, circa 40.06~ or so.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2015, 06:51:54 am »

But some things about the way army populations and similar work changed in later versions of DF2014, right?

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2015, 08:05:11 am »

It's less dramatic, but couldn't you still wall off all map edges below like you can wall off the caverns?  I've never actually explored much down there. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2015, 08:20:39 am »

It's less dramatic, but couldn't you still wall off all map edges below like you can wall off the caverns?  I've never actually explored much down there.
That's what I'm doing.

Cholek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2015, 10:46:17 am »

Perhaps the funniest thing of all, at least to me, is the idea that I intended for Silentthunders to be a disposable Fort. I wanted the Fort to dig deep quickly, create masterwork adamantine armour sets and then wait for the goblins and undead to come. From there I fully expected my 100% military recruitment Fort to die a noble death, I even willed it so; with its defences overrun and its last Dwarves ambushing goblin squads in brutal room to room fighting. Then an adventurer would make a pilgrimage to this hallowed Fort, find a full armour set and escape the hordes of undead left behind to explore the world, which I had modded to include cities for Dwarves, Humans, Goblins, Elves and Kobolds (as this was before they had individual cities and Fortresses). It looked to be promising at first, with goblin ambushes testing the Fort's defences... But then the Fort entered a new era. The "temporary" workshops in the grassy core of the Fort became the permanent hub of tradesdwarfship, the isolated bunkers became interloping fields of death-dealing citadels, the forests were cut down in full to fuel the booming forgeworks and were paved over to prevent them growing back and the heroic Dwarves I expected to die became heroic Dwarves who refused to die.

This looks like strange mood to me.

"I will build disposable fort to make candy armor for my adventurer."
Loud Whispers is taken by a fey mood!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2015, 02:57:07 pm »

^Seems legit.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32