Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32

Author Topic: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]  (Read 165723 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #195 on: May 27, 2015, 12:10:59 pm »

'Oh heavens no, that isn't all from the blood rain.'
"Oh good, I was worried for a second."
'Yeah, it's still winter so most of that is blood snow.'
Remember, every blood snowflake is as unique as the dwarf dragged down to the HFS and strapped into the bleeding machines to make it. 

I had an image in my head of dwarven children all bundled up and throwing blood snowballs... then I remembered that snowballs fracture ribs in this game, so I would presume blood snowball fights would have to be children against zombies.
Bloodball fight!

I'm pretty sure covering EVERY single exposed tile on the map in blood is a win condition of DF. You're getting close.
It all melts away when the ice thaws, there'd have to be some really impressive time management and corpse dropping to bloody the whole map. Would also have to destroy the brook... It's possible. I'm aiming for another win condition: Raise a dwarf from birth till death from old age, or at least maxage.

It took Sazir Razorbelts 9 years to discover the secrets of life and death from the Fence of Dying. In the 10th year he became commander of the Bells of Amusement. 6 years after discovering the secrets, he taught them to the dwarf Etur Palacecircle. He would spend the next centuries writing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He had one son called Kubuk Neutrallashes, who did not inherit the throne when his father became a Necromancer. Presumably these sort of things hurt your claim to the throne. Kubuk Neutrallashes killed a giant, died of old age, married yet childless. Interestingly all of Sazir's books are written in a style most tender, touching, so much so that they could only have been written by a merciful spirit. All things considered he seems like a jolly fellow, ignoring the whole necromancy stuff.

The Necromancers worship a spooky skeleton goddess of death, war, fortresses and disease. No one worshiped Kurik until Sazir did.

Also I've just found out that Mongrelflinched the Crab of Clams and Iru the lidless titansnake corpse are one and the same. Iru/Mongrelflinched broke the stalemate that had settled in the spire corpse factory.

The Savage War continues, with the latest attack 'the assault of murders' having been repulsed. I do like the idea of scholars around the world trying to figure out why the Dwarves of Silentthunders and the Necromancers of the Bells of Amusement waged war.

A brand new arena is being built, right underneath the epicenter of genocidal flooding. I figured, why install plumbing into my already-existing Colosseum when I can install a brand new Colosseum into my already-existing plumbing? Round one will be war boars vs wild rutherers. Round two will be war eagles vs raven corpses, since we've now had dozens of eaglets hatch. The final round will be special; one of the human guests of Silentthunders, a lasher (the only one I didn't fully disarm, a fortunate oversight) has been trained for the fight. He is now a master-lasher. He'll be going up against the 5 elf corpses captured in the latest siege. Later on, I might also be able to get some were-creature science done in there, I still haven't worked out just what the hell interrupted Asmel's transformation.

The Fort has managed to move its first demon into secure containment. A sleet demon composed of snow, it has two narrow tails and it squirms and fidgets. It's been placed in solitary confinement with little room to move so it can't get up to any funny business. The prison itself is being constructed just over a dozen zlvls above ground level, atop the citadel, resting on a bulky 4x4 pillar. One of the more harmless ones, catching it was nevertheless extremely difficult... We have to catch many more before we can continue hell works.

Gojira1000

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands a glass bed? Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 27, 2015, 01:12:02 pm »

This saga one of the most dwarf-y things ever.
"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." - Oscar Wilde

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 27, 2015, 05:54:45 pm »

Daemon prison? I like.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 27, 2015, 08:19:04 pm »

If at all possible, try to have a caged demon in your dining hall or as a standalone zoo.  (Just not a syndrome one, of course...)

I remember building a zoo out of every megabeast that came to my biggest 40d fort, (before it had a permanent siege bug that prevented more from coming...) and I put up mist generators right next to them so that I could create a full "King Kong" vibe.  I've never gotten quite as many since that first major fortress.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 28, 2015, 11:38:58 am »

You can thank me - indirectly - for what happened to you.  A long time ago Toady had a fund-raising drive to add new animal species to the RAWs.  I chipped in a few bucks and sponsored the raven because I'm from Baltimore. 

...you're welcome?
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 28, 2015, 05:01:51 pm »

You can thank me - indirectly - for what happened to you.  A long time ago Toady had a fund-raising drive to add new animal species to the RAWs.  I chipped in a few bucks and sponsored the raven because I'm from Baltimore. 

...you're welcome?

Hey, LW, someone just volunteered to be "thanked" by becoming another member of your eternal zombie hoard to fight demons until killed, reraised, and killed again until the end of your patience with this epic fort!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 28, 2015, 05:43:56 pm »

Hail Jurph: father of the dæmonscourge!
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #202 on: May 28, 2015, 06:50:24 pm »

...you're welcome?
Hey, LW, someone just volunteered to be "thanked" by becoming another member of your eternal zombie hoard to fight demons until killed, reraised, and killed again until the end of your patience with this epic fort!

I could write so much, but all the words in all the languages of the world would only convey how I feel all the more inaccurately.

To take one of my quotes out of context, this is what you helped to put me through:
FILL THE SKY WITH STEEL BOLTS OR ELSE WE'LL ALL BE KILLED BY THE FLYING DEATH OH GOD THEY GOT MY EYEBALL ARRRRR
Thanks Jurph, now I've learned to stop worrying and love the raven. It eats my enemies.

I got really confused when my FPS suddenly bricked. I figured, hey, I'm refilling the reservoir so there's a lot of flowing liquids, that must be it. Then the reservoir was full and my FPS remained bricked. Looked for the culprit, found that most of the doors in the quarry had been smashed down, and two FBs were climbing their way up to the Overworld through the Quarry Ramp. One was a three-eyed buffalo and the other a great big quadraped composed of water. I considered letting them climb up the ramp for a fair fight, up until I saw that they were both webbers. A fight in the corridor to the surface world would be a massacre. If you don't want a fair fight, don't expect a fair fight in return.
The Dwarves waited patiently for the FBs to arrive within firing range. Sure enough, they did. Stuck in quite possibly the worst place for a creature the size of several blue whales to be, the water beast was killed when its head was severed clean off by a steel bolt fired by Baron Muthkat. The three-eyed water buffalo clumsily fell off the ramp into the magma below, amazingly managing to climb up the ramp a short bit before dying from being horrendously burnt.
Its body came back to life and destroyed more doors, making it past the quarry ramp through one of the prison-side entrances, where it was put down by a large assembly of Dwarves, not before it could damage a masterwork door sadly. I had hoped to be able to recover its body, as besides its scorching wounds its corpse was still in good condition. After the encounter in the hallway... Not so much. It was only good for cooking, and as it was a giant slab of roast buffalo, I'd say this was no loss for the Dwarves of Silentthunders (providing they liked their meat well done).
One Dwarf also turned some of the Buffalo's bones into an artifact buckler, which has been given to Captain Ingish Bobrukurel as one of the Fort's most dangerous melee Dwarves to use in battle.
Construction work is progressing smoothly, with one hiccup. It took 25 years, but I'm finally all out of limestone. Marble stocks ran out a few years prior. About over 6,000 went to roads, 1000 to stone traps, 8,000 to mechanisms, 8,000 to furniture and 27,000 to constructions, give or take several thousand boulders. A few hundred might've also ended up as gem cabochons, and a modest amount would have gone to refining iron. No more than a hundred or so will have been lost to cave ins or magma. I believe I'm close to crossing the line where I've used more than half the limestone that can be dug up, but there's still large regions that have gone undug because I didn't want to spoil the landscape.
So I guess it's time to spoil the landscape. I'm thinking, maybe dig up some marble first for the arena, while limestone continues to be used on the upper Fortress works. The arena is one of the simplest buildings around, and at the very least it could do with  some vibrant white marble to paint red.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 28, 2015, 11:22:48 pm »

Have you put up images of this fortress anytime recently? I'd really like to get a sense of its layout in its totality, especially since this fortress's story is In Medias Res at the start of this thread, (and the older images thread,) and the early days of this fort can only be inferenced by the story of the original zombie raven swarm.

Also, just what do you have for limestone and against sand, anyway?  (Although I'm one to talk... My current fortress is quartzite and granite all the way down...)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 29, 2015, 12:22:06 am »

Stone blocks are your friend, use them and your stocks will last far longer :)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 29, 2015, 01:56:56 am »

He just talked about using 50k of just two types of layer stone.  I think his tower is 100 z-levels tall, according to the other thread, and it's all marble or limestone.  (Fun fact: Marble is limestone that has been partially melted by magma, then cooled into that more interesting swirly striation texture.)

I don't think he could make all that without blocks...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #206 on: May 29, 2015, 12:23:55 pm »

He just talked about using 50k of just two types of layer stone.  I think his tower is 100 z-levels tall, according to the other thread, and it's all marble or limestone.  (Fun fact: Marble is limestone that has been partially melted by magma, then cooled into that more interesting swirly striation texture.)
I don't think he could make all that without blocks...
Yep, been using blocks from the beginning; constructed walls made out of raw stone makes rough walls instead of regular walls as well. A few thousand also got turned into pots and hatches as well, and another few thousand for statues... Quite a bit.

Have you put up images of this fortress anytime recently? I'd really like to get a sense of its layout in its totality, especially since this fortress's story is In Medias Res at the start of this thread, (and the older images thread,) and the early days of this fort can only be inferenced by the story of the original zombie raven swarm.
Also, just what do you have for limestone and against sand, anyway?  (Although I'm one to talk... My current fortress is quartzite and granite all the way down...)
Sure, I could get some images. Stonesense has stopped working for me, but I've managed to get Overseer back up.
I particularly like limestone because it's one of my favourite stones in real life (being used in the construction of St. Paul's Cathedral) and in DF; it's a valuable flux stone, a nice bright colour and was the first stone layer dug into (so it became the primary building material, with marble being the second because it too was the second stone dug into). Hatred for soil walls and all that, it just doesn't look nice in my opinion. I wouldn't want dirt walls in real life, and logically I built this Fort as I would build one to withstand a real siege - dirt walls are easier to undermine than stone walls.

[Click on the images to view them at full size]
Spoiler: Unannotated (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: At night (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Godzilla for scale (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: From another angle (click to show/hide)
Overseer's great for getting the big picture, but not so much on finer details like Stonesense. The walls are 3z levels above ground level by standard, though most will end at around 4z levels. The walls also extend 1zlvl below ground level into the moat, just so there's no dirt exterior and the wall is complete on all levels. The tallest complete tower is 23zlvls high (from ground level), the largest of the two finger towers. The tallest unfinished tower is Tower Likot, at 31zlvls high (and rising, though it nears completion) whilst the tallest building is the Memorial Broke, standing at 32zlvls high if you include the steel pickaxe on the roof. The tallest structure is the stairway to heaven, which extends 100zlvls into the sky, but it's for the most part still mostly just a fortified stairway.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:33:03 pm by Loud Whispers »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 29, 2015, 01:21:26 pm »

Truly awe-inspiring... I don't think I'll stick around my current fort for that long (as it has no goblins or undead, and is therefore pretty boring until I get some FBs, and was mostly just built to play with the new crops...) but my next fort may have to be built with this in mind.

What parts of your fortress lie in what biomes? (For that matter, what's your embark size?)  I know only part of your fortress is in an evil biome from what you said before...

The fact that you're still talking about how this will look for an adventurer...

Are there any succession games where you just pass around a save of abandoned/retired fortresses just so adventurers can go through them?  (There should be, now that I think of it...)

I am starting with a ton of quartzite in my recent fort, myself, but if I were doing some truly serious megaprojects, I'd probably be forced to use Gabbro.  Quartzite is only 10 z levels of half my embark (5 in the other half), and I have marble for only about 10 zs as well.  I have about 70s of either diorite or gabbro, depending on which biome I mine.  (And my favorite igneous intrusive is granite, which only comes in some 5 zs or so...  Gabbro's at least mafic, so it has being iron-rich to go for it, but it's softer than granite.  Diorite is just the wishy-washy middle stone.)

Also, for what it's worth, due to my particular vertical-centric design philosophy, I'm personally obsessed with hatches, as well as doors.  Given a chance, I will hatch every ramp in my fortress. (I'm using ramps instead of stairs now.)

(Also, how, exactly, does your DOWDING ravendar actually work?)

(Also, also, you mentioned wall spikes before.  Where/what are those?)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:31:33 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #208 on: May 29, 2015, 01:28:48 pm »

What parts of your fortress lie in what biomes? (For that matter, what's your embark size?)  I know only part of your fortress is in an evil biome from what you said before...
The Citadel, Hospital, Farms and Memorial Broke are all entirely on the non-evil side, with other buildings straddling both biomes. Everything the blood rain falls on is evil.

The fact that you're still talking about how this will look for an adventurer...
Are there any succession games where you just pass around a save of abandoned/retired fortresses just so adventurers can go through them?  (There should be, now that I think of it...)
I haven't thought about it. I do recall there was an earlier effort to build a world full of custom Forts built entirely for adventurers, but it died out and was forgotten when the new DF version came out. It'd be interesting to see such a thing revived, definitely.

I am starting with a ton of quartzite in my recent fort, myself, but if I were doing some truly serious megaprojects, I'd probably be forced to use Gabbro.  Quartzite is only 10 z levels of half my embark (5 in the other half), and I have marble for only about 10 zs as well.  I have about 70s of either diorite or gabbro, depending on which biome I mine.  (And my favorite igneous intrusive is granite, which only comes in some 5 zs or so...  Gabbro's at least mafic, so it has being iron-rich to go for it, but it's softer than granite.  Diorite is just the wishy-washy middle stone.)
I'm lucky in that a weird quirk multiplied the amount of blocks I should've been able to make relative to how much digging I did. I started this Fort in the version of DF where the amount of stone yielded was relative to the skill of the miner, so there was a near 100% efficiency to limestone/marble yields. The caveat was that it cost 1 boulder to make 1 block... That is until the update, where miner efficiency was set at a flat rate of 25% but 1 stone boulder would yield 4 blocks. When I updated my game mode, it effectively quadrupled my block reserve.

Also, for what it's worth, due to my particular vertical-centric design philosophy, I'm personally obsessed with hatches, as well as doors.  Given a chance, I will hatch every ramp in my fortress. (I'm using ramps instead of stairs now.)
(Also, how, exactly, does your DOWDING ravendar actually work?)
I can't believe I missed the opportunity to call it Ravendar

*EDIT
It's also heartwarming to see the surviving 6 of the starting 7 all partying in the wells together.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:40:24 pm by Loud Whispers »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 29, 2015, 01:42:16 pm »

Harvest = lycanthropy thing, right? I remembered that you had a couple, though at first I thought it was Bloodborne. :(

Which somebody who's good at megaprojects should totally do as a fort theme!

EDIT: Hint hint.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32