Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I can't tell if I'm very unlucky or very lucky... (Spoilers)  (Read 984 times)

Atrushan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I can't tell if I'm very unlucky or very lucky... (Spoilers)
« on: December 24, 2014, 12:22:28 pm »

So I just accidentally dug a staircase into a candy tube while trying to circumvent all the magma around it. Now the clowns want my blood. That's the unlucky bit.
On the other hand, the vast majority of said clowns are made of snow, ash, and salt, with a few slugs and crows here and there. I was absolutely unprepared for this. I know that FBs made of things like that break apart if a dwarf so much as looks at them funny, so I'm hoping that 10 legendary swordsdwarves and 10 middling speardwarves are enough to rout the initial assault, even if they are only clad in iron. Might lose a miner, though...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: I can't tell if I'm very unlucky or very lucky... (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 12:47:28 pm »

10 legendary swordsdwarves should be more than enough.

Unless one of the demons secretes something sufficiently deadly, or there is a demon with deadly dust or a web-spinner in there.

Atrushan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 12:58:57 pm »

Unless one of the demons secretes something sufficiently deadly, or there is a demon with deadly dust or a web-spinner in there.

Frozen clouds and webs ahoy! My dwarves didn't stand a chance. Neither did my framerate. And all the (mostly) tame dragon I released did was burn some dwarves and animals before getting its head kicked in.

Well. That was !!fun!!.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 04:40:54 pm »

Just goes to show that in Dwarf Fortress, even something that seems harmless can end a fort if it has certain very specific qualities.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 04:48:17 pm »

Generally if you ever see a web-spinner demon (or forgotten beast, for that matter) you should just NOT engage in melee and hide between fortifications and get some marksdwarves on the job.

They're like a giant cave spider, but with instakill attacks, and immune to magma.

Did I mention than every spider-shaped FB/demon has webs built-in by default ?

At least there were no steel blobs with deadly dust.