Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone else find themselves constantly re-embarking?  (Read 2844 times)

towersquid

• Bay Watcher
  • All of my migrants are farmers. . . dirty farmers.
    • View Profile
Anyone else find themselves constantly re-embarking?
« on: December 23, 2014, 10:33:20 pm »

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone else has this ordeal.

I consistently will start a new fortress, get about a couple months to a year in, decide I've messed up in some way, then abandon and re-embark. I have really no idea what triggers this, I guess it's some slight organization issues that constantly bother me till I get fed up and leave. As of right now, I'm guessing that I just get bored, so my solution to that is to embark in a difficult biome hoping for some fun. If anyone has anything that might have helped them with this, feel free to post.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else find themselves constantly re-embarking?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 10:40:34 pm »

Too peaceful -- bored -- abandone
Overrun by undead -- abandone
Played for too long -- fps death -- abandone

I don't play without cheating, so when I mess up for some obviously stupid reason, I usually reload the save...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:46:50 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 11:38:38 pm »

Too peaceful -- bored -- abandone
Overrun by undead -- abandone
Played for too long -- fps death -- abandone

I don't play without cheating, so when I mess up for some obviously stupid reason, I usually reload the save...
Don't forget "Almost overrun by undead -- retire -- get super stressed dwarves immigrating to next fortress"

As for actually quitting after short term problems, I usually don't unless I think the embark is terrible, and I usually play until I think the fortress is doomed or bores me (which takes several years, I'm not too impatient)... also I might reclaim one of my previous fortresses at some point, so I guess I'm not a very good example for this...

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 12:21:22 am »

For me it's usually "No wait I want a volcano. No wait I want sedimentary flux layers. No wait, I want more trees. No wait, I want to be on the shore of a lake. No wait, I want a bigger river." And so on.

towersquid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 10:51:11 pm »

That's exactly what happens to me. I'm always searching for a perfect embark.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 04:42:16 am »

I just get bored of my fort's.

Not found one in which i thought "Yes, this is the fort for me!"
I might make myself a rule that if i get bored i must attack the HFS, for at least then i shall have !!FUN!! before finishing.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 07:03:49 am »

I just make sure to get what I roughly want to expect before I've embarked and from then on desperately try to cling onto all life.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 08:57:42 am »

I usually abandon and restart 4 or 5 years into the fort. Usually because I have a new idea to try and it keeps distracting me from my current fort, which in turn was an idea that distracted me from my previous fort itself.

Goes something like that:
"Hey, lets try to literally channel out an aboveground fort out of a mountain."
few years in
"Now that I think about it, I didn't have a evil glacier embark in quite a while..."
re-genning worlds to get one with an evil polar area.
"Now that this seems to be somewhat running... haven't built a constructed aboveground tower fort in quite a while."
yet a few years into the fort
"Reverse towers would be awesome too, same design as this tower but digging it into the ground instead of skywards..."
some time later
"Hmmm. I could gen a world with huge caverns and build a cavern city."
And so on, and so on.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 09:09:37 am »

I usually abandon and restart 4 or 5 years into the fort. Usually because I have a new idea to try and it keeps distracting me from my current fort, which in turn was an idea that distracted me from my previous fort itself.

Goes something like that:
"Hey, lets try to literally channel out an aboveground fort out of a mountain."
few years in
"Now that I think about it, I didn't have a evil glacier embark in quite a while..."
re-genning worlds to get one with an evil polar area.
"Now that this seems to be somewhat running... haven't built a constructed aboveground tower fort in quite a while."
yet a few years into the fort
"Reverse towers would be awesome too, same design as this tower but digging it into the ground instead of skywards..."
some time later
"Hmmm. I could gen a world with huge caverns and build a cavern city."
And so on, and so on.
You could have avoided the last regen by simply deciding to expand the caverns manually and make it a megaproject.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 09:54:35 am »

Part of your problem might be feeling overwhelmed by the free-form nature of setting up your fortress.  There is no one "right" way to do things- especially considering every embark site is different.  Instead of searching for the "perfect embark site," try setting a single clear goal ahead of time.  What industry should I work on? What defenses do I get up and when? What projects will I be doing? Is this a surface fort or a cavern fort? Etc.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 11:30:59 am »

Recently I kept trying to find a fun evil map.
But unfortunately, I always ended up turtled safely underground forever(boring) or died right away after poking the undead.  :P
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 12:08:29 pm »

Generate world -> Start fort -> Find bug in my mod -> Fix bug -> Goto start

It gets really old in a hurry, but there is no help for it.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

towersquid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 03:05:46 pm »

Part of your problem might be feeling overwhelmed by the free-form nature of setting up your fortress.  There is no one "right" way to do things- especially considering every embark site is different.  Instead of searching for the "perfect embark site," try setting a single clear goal ahead of time.  What industry should I work on? What defenses do I get up and when? What projects will I be doing? Is this a surface fort or a cavern fort? Etc.

My main problem is that I get excited when air find something interesting and don't plan ahead. So you are right, a little forward thinking would help. Thanks for the help.

Recently I kept trying to find a fun evil map.
But unfortunately, I always ended up turtled safely underground forever(boring) or died right away after poking the undead.  :P

That's exactly what happened to me. I got bored and even when I let my doors open, the undead outside barely did anything.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 03:09:39 pm by towersquid »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 03:12:48 pm »

I wonder if my habit of never abandoning until all Dwarves are dead is the opposite of this problem, or not a problem at all...

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 05:25:44 pm »

I wonder if my habit of never abandoning until all Dwarves are dead is the opposite of this problem, or not a problem at all...

To me it sounds like you're playing it as it should be played. Unless you're not having fun whilst doing so ;)
Shouldn't really give up for any other reason.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.
Pages: [1] 2