Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Militarized siege operating  (Read 3261 times)

Re: Militarized siege operating
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 10:44:00 pm »

Do you mean grappling hooks on ropes/chains? That would be really fun once we have the ability to lead player-controlled armies, and though it'd be really interesting for goblins to bring to your fort I suppose that getting them to use them intelligently would be difficult.

Or call elves for more FUN. They should be quite able to use some grappling techniques on your fortress.

If they can bring siege engines to a siege it would either mean that they have siege engineers that build them, case in which you just kill them, or they bring them in on wheels or disassemble them as C27 said, and the player would likely have that ability too, so it would be more fair than it looks. Especially that yours are protected by fortifications and i doubt they will build an entire wall on the spot so they cant just grapple your stuff out of your fort.

Also if they add wheels, pivots and other modifications, I hope we can make them into tanks!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:48:22 pm by AlexanderTheIncompetant »
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2014, 01:19:37 am »

Yes, but having invaders set up siege engines to shoot at dwarves sounds far less of an AI nightmare than having them throw/launch grappling cables to create efficiently climbable paths inside. Ladders for scaling walls -might- be easier, but still, they have to be able to tell what points they should target in order to actually get inside in an expedient manner, and I have a feeling that that would be a lot trickier to code than it sounds.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2014, 09:57:13 am »

The way I see I see grappling hooks is, well, to grapple. It would be much easier to code and would basically be like a swinging building destroyer arm, only spanning multiple tiles and getting lodged in stuff. So it would aim at a building, shoot, damage it, stay lodged in (or not) and the resulting rope would be a path that the AIs would detect (maybe adding a tightropewalk token) and cut if it has enemies on it (maybe with an understandmechanics token that allows them to identify threats on alterable or destroyable objects and dispose of them appropriately). So it would be more of a weapon that CAN be used as a path, rather than a weapon CONVERTED into a path.
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2014, 09:03:10 pm »

awful lot of suggestions your posting.
Are you just bored and thinking of things to suggest? I almost did that when I first joined.
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2014, 10:40:48 pm »

Not really. Just posting all the ideas I had in between first getting the game and now (about 2 years).

CrucibleofWords

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 07:25:24 am »

Never mind the squads etc, siege weapons need military operators. It never made any sense to me that those cranking out the weaponry ran in terror when the enemy got too close. Unless this has actually been addressed recently - I gave up actually using siege engines a few years back for this very reason (among others, admittedly...)
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2014, 02:10:40 pm »

What's wrong with the squad idea?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2014, 02:17:16 pm »

Seems like the best, cleanest solution to the problem. Siege engines as a whole have been neglected for years now, and their usefulness in normal play is pretty much nil. Having the operator not run away would be a good start.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2014, 02:29:25 pm »

And the taking less than 5 minutes to load an arrow would be nice, followed by more diversity and options, and then fonctionning in conjunction with the army.
Pages: 1 [2]