Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 450331 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1695 on: August 14, 2016, 10:59:47 pm »

I just took inspiration from the linked video for mine: a row of cubicles with hatches for roofs, with the colony deed thing and a single light inside each.

I ended up having to place platforms above the hatches for (my) quality of life, though that didn't solve all the issues.

Or, use doors, attached to biometric sensors or w/e so you can just run through and hit the things to dispense your rent. (Also, putting them up in the air helps, because then folks can't stand in front of them and block you from using them)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: August 15, 2016, 12:08:50 am »

I get the Novakid are meant to be nomadic, but Chucklefish specifically stated that all races would have villages. And Novakid don't, as far as I can tell. They're just not there at all, and it's kind of annoying.

Totally off-topic, but can someone please explain to me how to build a podtown or whatever it is that people build on moons and stuff? The really compact village, where everyone lives in-guess what-a pod.
There's supposedly something for Novakids coming with the next big update. Not really sure what, but people who been datamining have been fairly excited.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: August 15, 2016, 02:11:03 am »

There's new Novakid stuff in the next big update? Sweet. Hopefully, it'll be some awesome space cowboy stuff :P
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: August 15, 2016, 11:43:25 am »

I came, I played, I finished.

I kinda wish after finishing the main quest it opened up a final tier of stars that could be any planet type, but at the max tier.  The hot star planets are kinda hideous and I don't really like spending a lot of time on them.   :P

I sort of neglected the Pets and Housing parts of the game though, I suppose if I played through again I'd have to try to focus on those somehow.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:45:16 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: August 15, 2016, 12:28:58 pm »

Pets don't do anything interesting; they'll get one-shotted as soon as you move up a difficulty form where you caught them.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: August 15, 2016, 12:40:56 pm »

Pets don't do anything interesting; they'll get one-shotted as soon as you move up a difficulty form where you caught them.

They don't level up or anything? 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: August 15, 2016, 01:17:17 pm »

They should increase with your armor; so if you catch a pet on your starting planet, and save it until you have tier 6 armor, it should be overpowered on that same planet, and the next tier or two. Not sure if that's still how it works, but that's what's supposed to happen. Oh, and get a pet healing station, ffs. It makes pets a lot more useful.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: August 15, 2016, 02:18:37 pm »

You can put collars on them to make them do abysmally piss-poor damage when they die. Then uh. Then you can take them back to your pet healing station, teleport back down and let them get 1-shot again.

OH and you can tether them to another station and let them wander back and forth on your ship.

That's about it. They don't level apart from whatever the one collar gets them, and that ain't much.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: August 15, 2016, 06:06:41 pm »

You can put collars on them to make them do abysmally piss-poor damage when they die. Then uh. Then you can take them back to your pet healing station, teleport back down and let them get 1-shot again.

OH and you can tether them to another station and let them wander back and forth on your ship.

That's about it. They don't level apart from whatever the one collar gets them, and that ain't much.

...No, I'm pretty sure pet level is tiered to your armor set.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: August 15, 2016, 08:20:30 pm »

I saw no difference whatsoever, and I was in the.. whatever... the solarium-boosted endgame sets.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: August 15, 2016, 09:11:53 pm »

It's a definite difference, but they're still not the most impressive things, I will admit. My favorite part of the whole things is having a room full of friendly robots or whatever else. I literally just make a zoo, and that's it. If I want someone to fight with me, and my friends aren't on, I've got a crew for that.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: August 16, 2016, 12:24:47 am »

Are monsters still randomly generated?  I see a lot that seem random but there's also a lot that don't, obviously the poptops aren't random, and there's some others with weird abilities that seem premade.

Also, I'm making a secret base.  I can't decide if I want to do an asteroid or a barren planet.  Are barren planets completely solid and empty from top to bottom?  No caves or anything?  If you create a sealed area in an asteroid and replace the back wall and everything can you breathe in there or will it always require the EPP?
Shoes...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: August 16, 2016, 12:36:56 am »

They stripped most of the random content. Most of the monsters, structures, and weapons are either designed or draw from a much more limited pool of resources.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: August 16, 2016, 12:45:26 am »

That's kind of dumb, why did they do that?

I'm using the game as my replacement for No Man's Sky, being essentially the same thing but with building stuff.  So far there's still enough variety to keep me interested but I've already seen two abandoned hylotl palaces with the same set of monsters so I'm a little :T
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: August 16, 2016, 12:47:49 am »

That's kind of dumb, why did they do that?
Best optimistic guess? So that they can add it back later and have everyone praise their "quick work on adding new content". Everyone who hasn't been with the game since Early Access, that is.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 130