Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 450393 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1560 on: August 10, 2016, 07:46:28 am »

Proximity scanners are simply not cheap to make.
The price on scanning items for circuitry is very unreasonable. People who like making logical contraptions will need to farm for RL weeks before they can start working on their calculator / tetris machines.
Or just edit their save to get the items, or cheat in some other way because they just want to make cool wired contraptions. I do that a lot when I just want to focus on a silly goal, like digging out an entire 7x7 embark in DF after turning off hunger/drink and sleep needs for the dorfs just because

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: August 10, 2016, 09:29:12 am »

Doesn't the mine boss drop like 10 shards?

the adult poptop?, yeah it does. however, the other 10 have to be found on the containers scattered all around the place. and sometimes the procedurals dont generate a mine big enough or with enough filled containers for the 20 shards.

reducing the number to 15 would suffice IMO.

however. the real deal would have been to make the underground more interesting. it would give a meaning to reach the magma layer and get the shards.

but you cant do much with them outside of activating gateways and making explosives, and upgrading the forge.

the underground of every planet is practically full of biomes that dont have many interesting stuff aside of a few chests. no interesting resource to extract from them most of the time.

and metals are very lacking most of the time, you would expect that as you get deeper the ore clusters become massive. but doesnt always happen. they look as scarce as in near the surface.

i dont know if its due to getting used to the Terraria way of having each planet biome extending to the underground and each one having its own unique features.

then having minibiomes that help to cover the big layer of dirt and stone.

Terrarian worlds are choked full on granite and marble biomes, with underground cabins, then mushroom biomes, mossification, large clusters of metal reaching the underworld and aquifers that challenge you to to either get breathing equipment or mine your way around them.

in Starbound the starting planet has a big layer of ground, then usually a desert layer under it. and then caverns. yeah there is the usual mineshaft or sandstone location but they barely have stuff.

there's almost no water down there, and ores are from scarce to mediocre amounts of it. (unless you reach Tier 4 planets which have to have much more larger deposits. but even then).

and each minibiome just adds unnecesary amounts of material to take care of because its useless for your basic needs. they only serve for building stuff which isnt your main priority right now.

and of course. each underground layer in Terraria adds crafting stuff that you dont find on the surface. on the starting planet the most you get is hardened carapace, venom sample and living root.

sometimes the desert spawns "mechanical" type mobs which give static cells or the like.

but most of the time if its not an RNG monster, its a unique mob that you can find on the surface.

i know the game encourages you to explore other worlds instead of staying in one

but right now there's not enough content to get you hooked on underground exploration. you only go down for the ores which are always a dire need, unless you're playing survival which in that case you easily get food on any planet.

i would be more hooked on getting those core fragments if getting to the magma layer was an interesting endeavor.

much like searching for Adamantine Spires in DF or reaching the Underworld in Terraria for the hellstone ore.

you dont see that in Starbound (yet)...and its a shame.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: August 10, 2016, 09:46:00 am »

They are expecting a certain kind of gamer, someone who is looking for more of the same kind of generic survival crafting game that there is already a giant flood of, where you craft tools with sticks and strings. 

They are expecting nobody new into the ecosystem. No new buyers. Just people that have been playing Starbound since alpha/beta. They don't want to explain really basic things. Just throw you in and expect you to float. They expect you to read the minds of the devs.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: August 10, 2016, 09:51:40 am »

i would be more hooked on getting those core fragments if getting to the magma layer was an interesting endeavor.

Not to mention if they were actually useful. They only have two uses, activating gates and making volatile powder. There's no reason to activate any gates other than the tutorial one, for which you're practically given the necessary fragments, and volatile powder is only used to craft bombs, flares, and fireworks. Fireworks are pointless and bombs and flares I find tons of everywhere I go. So why exactly should I bother digging all the way down to the planet's core? There's nothing valuable or interesting down there aside from these pretty but useless glowing rocks.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: August 10, 2016, 09:54:25 am »

Well, or at least to read the wiki to learn everything. Which seems to be their solution to documenting anything at all.

Farming is particularly bad, since there is zero information in game to tell you how to grow some of the more unusual plants. Like the coral one, which specifically needs to be planted on tilled ground under 4 tiles worth of water. That's not the sort of thing that players are just going to magically know how to do properly. Even having figured out the tilled ground under a layer of water, the amount of water you need isn't obvious so the player is left wondering what they're doing wrong.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: August 10, 2016, 10:38:36 am »

I didn't have any trouble figuring out standard farming, personally, but perhaps mods had something to do with that.

Before I did that, I survived on wild potatoes, corn, and pearlpeas. Never figured out how to get flowers to grow, though.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: August 10, 2016, 11:19:39 am »

So finally played a character to the point that the scanner function is unlocked.  I feel like the game would have been more fun if that was available from the start.

I also wish there was a proper sandbox mode, where I could create a new character with the ship already repaired - basically after the Mines are done.

with regard to the farming and crafting tropes:  I have a matter manipulator that can rip out regolith and store it masslessly, and then redeposit it in an arbitrary configuration.  Yet I need to invent a spinning wheel to make string to craft a hoe to till soil.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: August 10, 2016, 12:12:03 pm »

You do have the scanning ability from the beginning. It's just replaced by a magnifying glass and you don't get the light.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1568 on: August 10, 2016, 12:17:08 pm »

Finished the final boss.... that was fast.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: August 10, 2016, 12:18:15 pm »

You do have the scanning ability from the beginning. It's just replaced by a magnifying glass and you don't get the light.
but does it add stuff to your pixel printer menu at that point already?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: August 10, 2016, 12:21:31 pm »

I don't have access to the pixel printer yet, so I can't say.

Do you not have to destroy items to print more of them anymore?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: August 10, 2016, 12:23:08 pm »

No, you just scan them.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: August 10, 2016, 12:27:06 pm »

No, you just scan them.
Well, there's a much-needed change.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: August 10, 2016, 12:27:41 pm »

Well, there's a much-needed change.

It's a mircale. :V
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: August 10, 2016, 01:14:32 pm »

Farming is particularly bad, since there is zero information in game to tell you how to grow some of the more unusual plants. Like the coral one, which specifically needs to be planted on tilled ground under 4 tiles worth of water.

they are called reefpod and coralcreep. and they are found in the ocean, someone would have to be really dumb for not growing them underwater.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 130