Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 445228 times)

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Adjective Animal - All sorts of random things
« Reply #615 on: July 17, 2015, 01:11:25 am »

Bonus points that the only low gravity food actually poisons you!
Alien fruit jam has low gravity and an energy regeneration boost, but does not poison. Still lasts about a sixth of the cooldown time, as I remember it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 17, 2015, 01:21:15 am »

Bonus points that the only low gravity food actually poisons you!
Alien fruit jam has low gravity and an energy regeneration boost, but does not poison. Still lasts about a sixth of the cooldown time, as I remember it.

whoops :P

Though at least the other points stick.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #617 on: July 17, 2015, 09:12:23 am »

Hey, is there a way to use two ships & visit one from another?

Like ravenvalentine said here:
i made a very modded server for roleplay and we have had a moon base but it is nothing like this... i made a hosted player and a race that looks like a small bot to keep this ship going and we can warp to it as our home it will be super awesome to make it in to some thing we can deploy in space or some thing like that i already gave it a 5 and i'd give it more for the amazing art work

I'd really like to have these two.

--Also, will UG mods work in SG?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 10:54:50 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 17, 2015, 11:18:18 am »

Right now it is hard for me to point to what they still need to work on because frankly the correct response is everything.

Terraria is honestly the sort of baseline game I use to judge Starbound right now... which is funny because Terraria is a very flawed game. Actually at this point Starbound is catching up to where Terraria was already starting to get into version 1.2.

Starbound still has issues with... well... just being fun. And not in the eye candy or lego block way (500 hour people can just ignore the post)

I needs to fix up its boss designs and make them less reliant on staying off screen, doing screen wide attacks, or where you need specific items to combat them effectively.

Guns need to be reworked flat out, magic needs to be redone, melee is currently being reworked so I can't say anything about that, tech needs to be redone ontop of what they are already doing, items need to be redone... They need to make built equipment to be more worthwhile.

Hopefully we will get some good additions this year.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 17, 2015, 02:07:06 pm »

Starbound is definitely improving over time, but the question is how much they improve the core components, if at all, before development on the game eventually ends in the (probably) far future.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 19, 2015, 10:53:44 am »

Big update incoming, 'unstable' build available.

patch notes

who's hosting the server to test this bad boy out?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 19, 2015, 11:13:08 am »

Don't worry, the update is nothing worth caring about.

No need to start up servers again.

Sure it has a lot of "stuff" but not a lot of "good stuff"... just more typical grinding.

I COULD say "Ohh but people who like to build stuff will like it" but those are the same people who already played 500 hours and don't care about the colony system... if anything the colony system is a imposition on their creativity because it tells them what they can and cannot build.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 11:15:00 am by Neonivek »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 19, 2015, 11:15:11 am »

Neo's extreme negativity aside, I think a lot of Bay12ers are burned out by the Chuckleheads, I know I haven't even touched the game for months.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 19, 2015, 11:20:53 am »

Neo's extreme negativity aside

Extreme? Ok then let me unpack this... Let me see these new features!

Now I won't be just throwing every single feature to make it seem much more fruitful then it actually is... so let me see
1) You can now put an object inside a enclose area which spawns a NPC, this NPC occasionally gives you cosmetic items or sometimes something better (but probably an upgrade chip at best)
2) Minidungeons now appear underground.
3) New Tech cards
4) Gardening is now even more tedious!

Done...

I mean I could talk about the one new boss, rebalances, and added noise... but those are the big four.

This is hardly "Well fire up the old servers! We have a new universe to explore!" features.

I am just the only negative person left who even cares about Starbound anymore... the rest jumped ship. Even my old friends who liked Starbound can't stand it anymore. So no, this isn't "EXTREME!!! OMG HOW DO YOU NOT LIKE THIS MASTERPEICE!!!" Negativity. The abnormal thing is how I don't write the game off as a irredeemable pile of garbage and call it a day like the majority of people.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 11:24:49 am by Neonivek »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 19, 2015, 11:26:19 am »

I wanted to care about it, but it really has turned into a mess of unfinished everything.  I wasn't trying to belittle your point either Neo, just provide a bit of clarity.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 19, 2015, 11:28:43 am »

I'm still just waiting to see what happens.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 19, 2015, 11:32:16 am »

nah let's not stop there, let's unpack this all the way!

all video games are simply flashing lights used to trick your brain into releasing endorphins.

done.

you can burn down your computer now.

Snark aside, I'm not suggesting anything other than checking out some new content with other people whom you can discuss the shared experience with. I am not attempting to instigate some romantic renaissance :P

Romance from Nancy Reagan? Please, no.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 11:48:22 am by evilnancyreagan »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 19, 2015, 11:41:12 am »

Romance from Nancy Reagan? Please, no.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 19, 2015, 11:48:47 am »

Eh.

Tbh, starbound got too repetitive too fast. The only fun thing was exploring and even then it was kinda hard to really enjoy that because you're usually you didn't really get that many spawns for unique locations. And the environments started to feel same-y after a while.

Still have it incase I feel a huge urge to play. Might find that mod that added nagas if I do. I liked that one.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 19, 2015, 11:50:20 am »

I still believe Starbound can, in fact, turn itself around.

Heck the colony system could have been good except they kind of... butchered it from its original incarnation to the point of pointlessness.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 130