Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 451212 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Upbeat Giraffe/Rampaging Koala
« Reply #240 on: January 07, 2015, 10:08:54 am »

You have the emphasis wrong there Ult, it's not science-FICTION, it is SCIENCE-fiction.  Really, the reliance on the science portion is the reason it isn't just labeled as fantasy.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #241 on: January 07, 2015, 10:10:52 am »

Also, you can't mine steel in Starbound, I have no idea where you got that idea from.

Unless you're like, referring to harvesting various science bases and whatnot for the walls, which is technically mining steel.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 07, 2015, 10:13:59 am »

I believe I can offer a sufficient explanation: it's a fucking placeholder.

Cue collapse of the universe as the fourth wall is shattered.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 07, 2015, 10:16:04 am »

Eh, to me, it's about as science-fiction as Star Wars; emphasis on the Fiction, less on the Science, as Ultimuh said.  Soft science fiction has been a thing since the earliest days of science fiction, before it was even called that, or even before it was called scientific romance. 

By the bye, they aren't talking about actually mining steel; they're talking about how mining plutonium is *like* mining steel.  It does indeed occur naturally in concentrated uranium deposits, though, and I do not believe it would be entirely unreasonable to see larger such occurrences in uranium ore deposits outside of a protective atmosphere/magnetosphere, exposed to the more intense ambient solar radiation for extended periods.  That said, that's not how it works in Starbound, either. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:21:06 am by Culise »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 07, 2015, 10:23:01 am »

I see that attitude towards sci-fi floating around the internet these days a lot.  Ray Bradbury, Ben Bova, and Isaac Asimov would very strongly disagree with it, and Jules Verne would in all probability fly of the handle, accuse you of slandering his name, and take you to court over it.  The entire genre we describe as science fiction exist purely due to the belief that the focus of the storytelling be as close to scientificlly accurate as possible.  George Lucas' space-samurai-western can burn in the depths of hell for what it has done to the genre.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 07, 2015, 10:31:55 am »

You forgot Heinlein. Please post your address, and preference for buckshot or flechette.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 07, 2015, 10:40:03 am »

Heinlein switches between his morose sexual fantasies and really damn weird political intrigues, his science is used principly as a vehicle for those concepts, and his obsession with time travel hurts my head.  I tolerate his prescence within the Sci-fi genre, but I don't have to like it.  This is veering towards derail, so if you would like to discuss further, it would be best to create a new topic in general discussion (or dig up an old one).

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 07, 2015, 10:42:06 am »

What purpose is plutonium? It's not used in any armor tier.

You use it with titanium to make an alloy that ie used. The one that's called "something steel", iirc.

For the record, I was thinking of Uranium (and Durasteel) when I wrote this.
Love, scriver~

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 07, 2015, 10:43:58 am »

I see that attitude towards sci-fi floating around the internet these days a lot.  Ray Bradbury, Ben Bova, and Isaac Asimov would very strongly disagree with it, and Jules Verne would in all probability fly of the handle, accuse you of slandering his name, and take you to court over it.  The entire genre we describe as science fiction exist purely due to the belief that the focus of the storytelling be as close to scientificlly accurate as possible.  George Lucas' space-samurai-western can burn in the depths of hell for what it has done to the genre.
That's actually a really great coincidence that you should mention Jules Verne in particular, because I was actually looking for the big rant he apparently wrote about how H.G. Wells was a hack for not spelling out absolutely everything about his science fiction.  The existence of Burroughs or Heinlein in no way diminishes the works of Asimov or Clarke, no more than literary critics can claim something like Tolkien is high literature *instead* of fantasy or Atwood can say that her works are literary rather than sci-fi because she doesn't write about "talking squid in space."

EDIT: But yes, you're 100% correct that this is probably not the place to discuss over-compartmentalization of literature.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:50:12 am by Culise »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 07, 2015, 11:13:08 am »

I just made a thread in General Discussion expressedly for the purpose of discussing Sci-fi, if anyone wishes to continue with that line of thought.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 07, 2015, 11:16:39 am »

By the bye, they aren't talking about actually mining steel; they're talking about how mining plutonium is *like* mining steel.  It does indeed occur naturally in concentrated uranium deposits, though, and I do not believe it would be entirely unreasonable to see larger such occurrences in uranium ore deposits outside of a protective atmosphere/magnetosphere, exposed to the more intense ambient solar radiation for extended periods.  That said, that's not how it works in Starbound, either.
Higher ambient radiation doesn't facilitate the formation of heavier/radioactive elements. Those come from collapsing stars/nuclear reactors.

But, once one's accumuleted dozens of "plutonium ore", I think they should have enough to make a critical mass. We need a nukes/mini-nukes mod.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 07, 2015, 11:17:23 am »

Terraria (and minecraft) are magic-themed, so there's more leeway given to them.

Starbound is sci-fi themed, so you can't simply get away with that.

Uhhh no...

Starbound is Science Fantasy

It has outright magic in the game.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 07, 2015, 11:20:50 am »

Terraria (and minecraft) are magic-themed, so there's more leeway given to them.

Uhhh no...

Does it? I thought the staffs' fluff was they were kind of science sticks, sort of Mass Effect-like. Granted, that's still "sufficiently advanced technology" at a minimum. I haven't played for a while, so apologies if you're talking about something else.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 07, 2015, 11:26:33 am »

Uhhh no...

Sci-fi themed

Spacecraft focus result in sci-fi feeling of the game, which brings with it certain expectations. Like the fact that everything should be at least explained through vague scientific stuff.

If it had like, portals and different material planes instead of blatant space travel, then it would result in magic feeling of the game, which would bring a different set of expectations - like having to explain much less.
._.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 07, 2015, 11:37:17 am »

Relative value judgments being countered by the semantic of irrelevant value judgments. Starbound is what it is, and thus far, the Devs don't seem all that intent detailing the background of the universe in any meaningfully "scientific" way.

The expectations you associate with spaceships are ultimately your own.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 130