Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 445536 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #810 on: March 04, 2016, 03:47:12 pm »

Yeah, a proper modding community would really do this game some good.

The issue is that a lot of modders are scared because the developers will outright steal the modder work. Not to mention how easy it is to get banned from their forums.

Which might be a nasty rumor... but unfortunately this is Chucklefish, the boob horse YOU BETTER LAUGH!, people... so it is impossible to tell.

Edit: apparently in all likeliness the crew aspect was taken from mods... and they definitely do use other people's mods for their game.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 03:59:13 pm by Neonivek »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: March 04, 2016, 04:00:33 pm »

That's true. I have no knowledge or information about the crew thing, but when I used mods the crew mod dev seemed to be abandoning the project, seemed to be because of rumors of that becoming a vanilla feature, and the mod would completely break on every update too.
If Chucklefish trolls/steals from modders it would surpass my dislike for Keen Software House. So I better not google that.  :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 04, 2016, 04:29:45 pm »

Squad does a lot of the same things with KSP. They're just more open about hiring modders outright. But they rarely ever shied away from picking up on some mod's popularity and tossing the functionality into the vanilla game.

(I suppose it helps that for the most part, the "game as it should be" in the eyes of modders and Squad is basically the same, which can't really be said for Starbound. On the other hand, it's also the exact reason why only modding will ever make Starbound the "right game" for any given number of people - it's plain impossible to make it a game everybody will like at this point, so mods will have to be used to convert the game to suit a given set of expectations.)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 04, 2016, 04:51:52 pm »

I can't agree on the KSP thing. Squad has a lot more connection and proximity with the modders, and I've never seen anyone abandon a mod in a negative way and saying "Devs just announced they'll make my features vanilla, so I'm dropping this project". I could be wrong, but..I honestly only saw enthusiasm when mods where integrated and modders were hired.
Not trying to be a crusader against Chucklefish or trying to be boring, but I don't think Squad and KSP deserves that comparison.  ::)
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: March 04, 2016, 07:37:35 pm »

Just wondering here; but when did Chucklefish actually straight out steal a mod? I know that they do implement mods, but that was without the modders' approval?

Chucklefuck
..really?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 04, 2016, 07:43:08 pm »

I can't recall them stealing anything either, they did officially integrate a couple of mods into the game tho'.

As for 'Chucklefuck' I've been calling them that for months now.  It fits their attitude and behavior very nicely.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 04, 2016, 08:24:02 pm »

It's just that it seems like a pretty immature and petty insult. I haven't seen it because I usually filter things like that out, I guess?
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 04, 2016, 08:44:57 pm »

-snip- Information based on old clues currently unrelated.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 04, 2016, 08:45:57 pm »

Chucklefuck
..really?
'1) A bumbling, stupid, inept person.
2) A confusing mess; a conundrum; any chaotic situation
3) A person of low intelligence who gets himself into a comical quandary. '

The launch stream for Starbound was nothing but number 1... and number 2.... and yes number 3. Every definition fit.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 04, 2016, 09:05:25 pm »

Chucklefuck
..really?

The launch stream for Starbound was nothing but number 1... and number 2.... and yes number 3. Every definition fit.

My favorite was when something didn't work so the two commenters just started talking about random bullshit for a while. Yes, during the debut of Starbound they took a few minutes to talk about what they had for breakfast or something. It was mind-blowing.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 04, 2016, 10:06:24 pm »

Chucklefuck
..really?

My favorite was when something didn't work so the two commenters just started talking about random bullshit for a while. Yes, during the debut of Starbound they took a few minutes to talk about what they had for breakfast or something. It was mind-blowing.
The entire thing devolved into doge and hitler ascii VERY quickly. It was painfully stupid.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 04, 2016, 10:12:32 pm »

Just throwing in my two cents! Starbound is such a massive disappointment... which is only made worse by how well its release and early development went.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 05, 2016, 12:11:57 am »

My biggest issue with Starbound is the lack of direction it has ultimately taken, and I attribute the bulk of the problem to this: the devs don't seem to have a concrete idea of what the game ought to be, and move back and forth on the whims of their players. They started off with an interesting but incomplete concept, but do not seem to have a clear, defined notion of what THEY want the experience to be, and so the whole project is as a chicken with its head cut off.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 05, 2016, 12:39:11 am »

My biggest issue with Starbound is the lack of direction it has ultimately taken, and I attribute the bulk of the problem to this: the devs don't seem to have a concrete idea of what the game ought to be, and move back and forth on the whims of their players. They started off with an interesting but incomplete concept, but do not seem to have a clear, defined notion of what THEY want the experience to be, and so the whole project is as a chicken with its head cut off.

It's not really catering to the fans as much as utterly incompetent management. There has never been a single design document that actually lays out what should be in the game and how it should work, and as far back in the project as I can remember no feature was actually completed in a timely, coherent manner. When there were development updates, each developer would work on something completely different from one day to the next, and nothing would ever be written off as finished.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 05, 2016, 12:45:21 am »

There was actually a roadmap at some point.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 130