Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 445242 times)

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #780 on: February 06, 2016, 01:36:26 am »

(removed)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 01:53:54 pm by Toady One »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 06, 2016, 01:39:18 am »

Hey just saying, you guys should tone it down before Toad steps in.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 06, 2016, 03:41:03 am »

In my opinion Starbound is boring and garbage. I had fun with Terrarria because it brought new stuff to the table. Starbound brought a lot more of the same stuff to the table. It has unique mechanics and concepts but they're not interesting enough to me to outweigh the massive amounts of fluff. Maybe if I had a group of 10 friends all playing at the same time on the same server it'd be something, but that's just unrealistic. I don't want to be aware of the time I'm wasting while playing a video game. I want to be oblivious to it.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 06, 2016, 12:25:47 pm »

I'd hardly call a few hundred broken mods from versions of Starbound that are no longer playable "vibrant", especially considering most the good modders stopped when they realized Chucklebums would just use their mods in the base game, with their consent or not.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 06, 2016, 12:43:32 pm »

I'd hardly call a few hundred broken mods from versions of Starbound that are no longer playable "vibrant", especially considering most the good modders stopped when they realized Chucklebums would just use their mods in the base game, with their consent or not.

It is kind of why and I say this quite passionately.

One should not hope that mods "fix" a game.

There are a lot of games that went from ok or boring to great due to mods. Yet they still laid down a fun template to work with and weren't broken.

Now assuming Starbound is a great game and I am an idiot for not seeing it, it still isn't "up and running" quite yet. The physics need to be rehauled, armor needs to be rehauled, weapons need to be rehauled, enemies need to be rehauled, ships need to be rehauled, and so on. There is no solid base for a "great mod that will make it good again".

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #785 on: February 06, 2016, 01:55:40 pm »

Remove a few posts.  Keep things civil.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 06, 2016, 02:02:24 pm »

So I've been part of the initial Starbound hype train back in like, 2012 or whenever it was first announced, and I've played the very first or so alpha or whatever version it was, but I've been hard out of the loop (last played the game in December 2013 according to Steam), and I see there's been a lot of controversy since then, skimming through the posts in this thread at least.

Could someone give me a brief (or heck, go for detailed if you want) rundown of what's been happening since and whether or not the game is worth going back to?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 06, 2016, 02:14:03 pm »

So I've been part of the initial Starbound hype train back in like, 2012 or whenever it was first announced, and I've played the very first or so alpha or whatever version it was, but I've been hard out of the loop (last played the game in December 2013 according to Steam), and I see there's been a lot of controversy since then, skimming through the posts in this thread at least.

Could someone give me a brief (or heck, go for detailed if you want) rundown of what's been happening since and whether or not the game is worth going back to?

Let me see things that are different

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ok I am spoilering it because frankly I don't have anything nice to say about Starbound's current progress. Everything that is interesting is done in a very boring manner and everything else is just chaff that masks what the game is missing. In many ways the game is both better but also much worse then when it first came out.

I'll put it this way. When the game first came out it was about survival and exploration but where there was also a point to exploration. Now it is only exploration but there really isn't a point except to see different sights (but you will see them all pretty fast)

I know Starbound has too much negativity but goodness is it impossible to avoid it to answer that question.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 02:17:20 pm by Neonivek »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 06, 2016, 02:15:32 pm »

There's upgradeable ships in vanilla, a quest system, colony system, revamped farming system, revamped combat system (which is in some ways worse than before), tiered progression, mission dungeons, pets, new biomes, re-tooled galaxy map.

On the other hand, two of the head coders left and most of the original team has been replaced with more artists. There were multiple waves of the devs banning all complaints in every forum they controlled, with their site admins openly hostile to anyone who wasn't absurdly enthusiastic about any change they made. The roadmap is gone and disavowed along with any long-term appearance of planning, and there's been so many staff changes they now hide the roster because people were worried over it (which is either standard or disturbing, depending on who you ask).

I do plan on playing it again at some point, but I haven't actually played in so long I couldn't tell you the state of the game right now.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 06, 2016, 02:18:23 pm »

I do plan on playing it again at some point, but I haven't actually played in so long I couldn't tell you the state of the game right now.

Don't bother just yet. The game will still feel the same to you.

---

Mind you Maks if you love Chaff (and honestly some people do. Some people here have hundreds of hours just collecting chaff and building houses out of chaff)

Then the game is probably best for it.

Basically if you played Minecraft and went "Hey I like this... but I'd like it more if there were like 100 kinds of dirt blocks, 50 couches, 70 roofs" and so on. Starbound has you covered.

Treat Starbound as a collect-o-thon building game and your golden! Can you find Shakespear Robot Painting? Now build a Victorian room with golden floor tiles!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 02:23:44 pm by Neonivek »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 06, 2016, 03:05:07 pm »

What I'd like for the game to have is pretty much modable right now (except hunger/temperature/other survival elements, not sure how hard-coded those are. Probably the UI can't be changed). However, I don't really have the time/energy to do something like that myself, so I'm hoping someone has done something in roughly that direction already. The game, when I first played it, very nearly scratched an itch that Minecraft and Terraria couldn't, and I hoped that in time it'd be able to.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 08, 2016, 11:47:32 pm »

There's crafting in No man's sky. And weird unique lifeforms, a proper codex, and also a ship I actually get to fly. Not sure if there's building, but I never did a whole lot of it in Starbound to my dismay. Usually just felt like a waste of time and resources.

And mods don't mean a game is better. It means it has a community. Skyrim doesn't get to be called 'A fantastic game' just because it has mods that make it the game it should be.
Starbound's planets felt samey and, while I loved finding new creatures, they sort of blended together quickly. That and the grind to get out of your starting solar system was made too long in my opinion.

I never found Starbound unimpressive, I found it lacking. I feel like Starbound needs much more work before it'll be the game I wanted.

I would argue that No Man's Sky isn't a game at all, as it isn't released. At least Starbound can be played.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: February 09, 2016, 03:27:33 pm »

That's why I said I'm excited for No man's sky and that it'll likely fill the void Starbound gave me. It's not released yet, so obviously it's not a 'game' yet.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 03, 2016, 10:28:30 pm »

So... Now that Starbound is almost finished (yes really, we are on the final few pieces)

What do you think about it?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: March 03, 2016, 10:43:06 pm »

It is? I'll admit I haven't been keeping up with the dev blog.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 130