Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 451153 times)

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Upbeat Giraffe - WE STABLE NOW - Two and counting
« Reply #450 on: February 11, 2015, 11:22:00 pm »

Finally beat the first boss.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There are no hitboxes in stage 3, are there? I thought it was just, "Go out of the 2 safe areas and you die".
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 11, 2015, 11:35:16 pm »

The hitboxes in stage 3 are reaally fucked up. If you're playing singleplayer you can kinda use the light and shadows to judge where the beams are but that's still wonky.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 12, 2015, 12:34:32 am »

Well, since Starbound is now apparently in a decent state, I suppose I'll PtW and get on a server when I have the chance.

Is it at a decent state, by the way? I played it a long time ago, and frankly it was endless grind to do nothing but unlock more endless grind. While I understand they're going to need to get the basic gameplay infrastructure in place at some point, when that's your entire game, it's probably a bit too early to start giving out Alpha access.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 12, 2015, 09:05:32 am »

Still massively grindy, with some okay platformer missions and some really stupid bosses.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 12, 2015, 12:16:58 pm »

Really just one stupid boss. It just so happens to be the very first one, and it you absolutely need to kill it, unless you want to be stranded in the starting system.

The rest of the bosses were fine, though.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 13, 2015, 03:16:04 am »

So, I found this handy dandy banner just lying around... as you can see, things have been booming lately. ::)

Well, at least you'll know when someone else is on!

Mind adding this to the original post when you find the time?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 13, 2015, 03:17:58 am »

Hah, I think those last two dots are me, logging on to see if anybody's on, and then beaming down to the planet, and then crashing (got a message about okea stuff not being found, I THOUGHT I installed the mods correctly...)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 13, 2015, 03:27:13 am »

Hah, I think those last two dots are me, logging on to see if anybody's on, and then beaming down to the planet, and then crashing (got a message about okea stuff not being found, I THOUGHT I installed the mods correctly...)

Sorry to hear that. If the message is something about "Okea," it's the Pixel Goods Store mod. Would you mind helping me trouble-shoot by double-checking to make sure you have that one installed?

IMPORTANT! The primary download on that page is extremely dated- apparently, the author is having trouble getting the link to update. The version of the mod for the current build Starbound can be found here.

I hope that helps!
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 13, 2015, 03:36:35 am »

Yeah, I have pgs.modpack, which I assume is the pixel goods one. However, I'm also pretty sure that I grabbed the out-of-date version, since I had no idea about that pitfall.

So, now I've replaced the pgs.modpack from the Milky Bay Modpack folder with the one from your new link, and it still crashes when I beam down.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 13, 2015, 04:11:37 am »

Yeah, I have pgs.modpack, which I assume is the pixel goods one. However, I'm also pretty sure that I grabbed the out-of-date version, since I had no idea about that pitfall.

So, now I've replaced the pgs.modpack from the Milky Bay Modpack folder with the one from your new link, and it still crashes when I beam down.

Rest assured, I willl not rest until I've solved this. Did you make certain to grab yourself The Game Hunter mod as well? There should be a total of seven (the pgs mudpack and six folders). If you like, we can continue this in PMs.

EDIT: Problem solved!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 05:22:02 am by Ibid Straydrink »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 13, 2015, 09:30:54 am »

Yeah, I added it.

The downturn is probably because most of us burned through our initial enthusiasm on Ty's server and don't want to repeat all of the grind again or start over on projects. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 13, 2015, 09:45:03 am »

Yeah, I added it.

The downturn is probably because most of us burned through our initial enthusiasm on Ty's server and don't want to repeat all of the grind again or start over on projects. :|

Grind, sir? We have block replicators. There are no restrictions or prerequisites on character progression. Insofar as Starbound has something that you enjoy beyond the grind and plotline quests, you've nothing to lose by paying the Bay a visit. There's plenty of building and exploration to be done. If anything is lacking, it's the survival element of Terraria (and for that matter, King Arthur's Gold!). What we really need, are invasions, pvp events, end-of-the-world scenarios, and other pot-stirrings.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 14, 2015, 12:28:29 am »

Yeah, I never got into endgame Terraria, but my initial impression is that there's a lot less content to see and less enemies to fight in Starbound. When I'm looking for quest items it's also pure luck of picking a planet that has what I want on it, whereas in Terraria you usually knew how to get to some biome or dungeon where you needed to go, and actually getting there alive was the hard part. On the upside, Starbound has digital logic and skyrails and stuff, but there's doesn't seem to be any task that justifies using those, just making pretty megaprojects.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 14, 2015, 12:57:05 am »

Yeah, the "living world" is perhaps the only reason I keep Terraria installed alongside Starbound. That and the nifty decoration options. The half-blocks make for a surprising amount of interesting designs. And the placeable material bars.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 14, 2015, 01:01:29 am »

Yeah, I added it.

Grind, sir? We have block replicators. There are no restrictions or prerequisites on character progression. Insofar as Starbound has something that you enjoy beyond the grind and plotline quests, you've nothing to lose by paying the Bay a visit. There's plenty of building and exploration to be done. If anything is lacking, it's the survival element of Terraria (and for that matter, King Arthur's Gold!). What we really need, are invasions, pvp events, end-of-the-world scenarios, and other pot-stirrings.

Ah, you aren't asking for fresh characters? Much better.  :)

Starbound still doesn't have shit on KAG, though. I've never found anything quite like being that son-of-a-bitch archer who spends 40 minutes hitting trick shots anywhere else.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 130