Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 451133 times)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Upbeat Giraffe/Rampaging Koala
« Reply #210 on: January 05, 2015, 09:12:01 pm »

To be pedantic, they did say "dull," not "taking too long." Exciting interruptions would be a cure for boredom, if not for taking too long. Also chests/rewards to cut into generic mining time requirements.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2015, 09:24:48 pm »

To be pedantic, they did say "dull," not "taking too long." Exciting interruptions would be a cure for boredom, if not for taking too long. Also chests/rewards to cut into generic mining time requirements.

Well see.

My general rule of features is always assume it will be in the most boring and mundane form as possible.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2015, 10:23:41 pm »

Now, the real question is whether they'll stick to it, unlike all their other roadmaps/predictions/outlines.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 05, 2015, 10:29:44 pm »

Now, the real question is whether they'll stick to it, unlike all their other roadmaps/predictions/outlines.

I don't see why not... it is a simple enough problem to fix.

Just increase the spawn rates while digging and increase the amount of stuff in the underground.

As for Hunger and Warmth it... doesn't matter... "You can chose to turn on detrimental elements" is just an "extra mode" to me. It still means it was removed.

Gun Damage being fixed is absolutely necessary but I expect it to be low since "Magic" and "Melee" weapons are two specialties.

And "No need to build on planet" is honestly... The only thing in the announcement I think is a bad thing. It is artificially making some objects only work... on planets.

Don't get me wrong, I want a reason to build on planets too. But I don't want the game to say "Sorry, the Forge is too dangerous for the ship".

For example perhaps you can construct cities that people live in and pay... rent... and sell objects... And what they have available on planet is different (or superior) to what you have on your ship.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:35:41 pm by Neonivek »

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2015, 10:35:52 pm »

I'm not sure just throwing in more monsters and more stuff would do it though.

I'm in favor of more difficult/eventful mining for the same reason that mining was interesting in Minecraft and Terraria - It's an obstacle between you and progression, and it's a chance to explore and discover something interesting. Outside of dungeons it's currently possible to progress through all of the tiers without fighting so long as you just dig down and avoid caves and the surface. I'd love to see some specialized subterranean enemies, like the tunnel worms in Terraria, or large clusters of minerals guarded by hostiles. The current enemies are just too easy to foil and don't really stand between you and progression.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 05, 2015, 10:47:07 pm »

I personally think one of the problems is the cave generator. In Terraria and Minecraft the caves are designed so that you enter the cave at the surface and explore the labyrinth cave network, usually going down to the minimum level. This ends up in exploring a single cave becoming a focus. In Starbound, caves are just small holes peppered into the terrain. Therefore you have to do regular boring mining unless you get really lucky with a cave.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 05, 2015, 10:50:30 pm »

The other is just the methods of mining.

Terraria could be just as monotonous but your picks pretty much mined everything out quickly and sometimes instantly.

I remember in one Minecraft Mod you could set up this quarry machine where it would automatically mine out that square.

You don't have to make everything an adventure, but perhaps technology should improve.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 05, 2015, 11:01:28 pm »

To be honest, I miss the days of finding vast cavities full of loose sand and knocking out the bottom to collect a rain of minerals, unrealistic as chunks of ore in loose sand is.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 05, 2015, 11:20:51 pm »

To be honest, I miss the days of finding vast cavities full of loose sand and knocking out the bottom to collect a rain of minerals, unrealistic as chunks of ore in loose sand is.

No that was quite enjoyable (other then, it sometimes killing you)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 06, 2015, 12:10:20 am »

Anyone know where to look to find Uranium? I'm guessing radioactive stars but I can't survive on their planets at the moment.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 06, 2015, 05:35:09 am »

And "No need to build on planet" is honestly... The only thing in the announcement I think is a bad thing. It is artificially making some objects only work... on planets.

Don't get me wrong, I want a reason to build on planets too. But I don't want the game to say "Sorry, the Forge is too dangerous for the ship".

For example perhaps you can construct cities that people live in and pay... rent... and sell objects... And what they have available on planet is different (or superior) to what you have on your ship.

Well, the building path is supposed to be based on renting to NPCs in the first place, isn't it? (I only vaguely know based on what's been mentioned in the past here and in the old thread.) So it could make sense that this path wouldn't be viable on a ship, since NPCs probably won't want to live on your ship, no matter how fancy you make it (meaning, gameplay-wise, they'll simply never spawn in your ship or, despite the space available, the ship is still too small for a viable NPC outpost).

Likewise with farming which, despite hydroponics, could also be said to require an actual planet for plant growth - perhaps even require specific star types (for the EM spectrum) or planet type (for the atmosphere/light filter), or just to say that various fertilizers don't exist and the ship simply can't support the necessary complex ecosystem to provide all the necessary nutrients for plant growth.

So it should be possible to prevent the paths from being ship-capable without necessarily completely forbidding the placement or functionality of certain buildings on the ship.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 06, 2015, 05:44:13 am »

The ship takes a while before it reaches full size.

The simple limitation is that... Well, even at max size you don't have THAT much space and the NPCs might not look too kindly at you using objects in their room.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 06, 2015, 09:56:52 am »

I think the last version of NPC Outpost feature I can remember hearing was that NPCs would stock better items (and generate better procedural missions? /speculation) based on the quality of their "rooms". Given the player gets enough information to effectively manage those rooms, that seems like it could be a good system.

It's good that they're aware of, and acknowledging, the problems with the current build, but it's early to judge since this is only acknowledging the problem and not proposing concrete solutions yet. In principle I think they're right that mining/the underground needs more interesting features. But I also 10000% agree with Chiefwaffles that the cave generator is a big part of the problem. Hopefully we'll see some changes to that to encourage exploration, and these underground detours are more interesting than a 10x10 room with an (space) orc guarding a chest.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 06, 2015, 11:33:58 am »

Anyone know where to look to find Uranium? I'm guessing radioactive stars but I can't survive on their planets at the moment.
Radioactive planets. I found a load on a jungle world.
But how do I survive down there? Presumably some tech I don't have yet?

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 06, 2015, 11:57:47 am »

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. 
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 130