Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 445245 times)

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1875 on: February 12, 2017, 08:41:14 am »

But this does look pretty cool. Not to be negative, but wasn't something like this planned early on as the final interface where the current once was supposed to be a placeholder?

That sounds plausible? But I don't feel like digging back through their blogs to find the one where they first started talking about nav.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: February 12, 2017, 10:01:25 am »

Isn't there a way to cheese your way through the storyline at all via console commands? I do think that after you have beaten the game once there should be a button that unlocks during character creation to unlock endgame from the start, much like you can skip the tutorial.
It doesn't help at all that you can't skip the cutscenes.

I just beat the story last week. It was a bit underwhelming...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: February 12, 2017, 01:18:33 pm »

Started playing this again recently, fairly impressed with many of the editions (some of the later MQ missions are even kinda cool now). However, is it no longer possible for satellites of terrestrial planets to have anything but the "moon" biome now?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: February 15, 2017, 04:40:39 pm »

unstable had another update today no sign of the 1.3 beta content yet

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: March 16, 2017, 12:08:40 am »

another devblog came this week.

from what i gather, ships will still work the same as before, you will be able to navigate to sites with it but not use it for other things. mechs however, will be the main focus for space exploration. you can customize their weaponry as shown in the article, along with their parts. it seems there will be space enemies too, and different locations.

all in all it seems like it will be a interesting experience. the main question i have is if players will be able to use mechs on planets. but im not sure. there's also the idea of building in space, like, outside of asteroid belts and the like. as it seems there's a gravity generator in the new update.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: March 16, 2017, 02:33:18 am »

I wonder how much of that stuff is post-story content. I really can't take doing the main quest again. Ever.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: March 16, 2017, 02:36:12 am »

Plot that makes choice of species matter again when? 3:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: March 16, 2017, 02:39:26 pm »

I really can't take doing the first 1/4 of the main quest again. Ever.

Ugh. Couldn't bother to even finish it.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: March 16, 2017, 02:41:48 pm »

Not exactly a huge fan of the mechs being used for space combat.
They're mechs. Using it for space combat makes so little sense. I've always disliked the trope of mechs being anywhere other than the ground.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: March 16, 2017, 03:41:16 pm »

I find mechs to be a silly idea in the first place, more of a 'rule of cool' vehicle, but whatever. Vehicles don't seem to work too well in these sidescrolling type games anyways unless the game is designed around them. Has anyone even tried using the hoverbike or boats? I've never bought one, didn't seem worth the pixels.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: March 16, 2017, 03:43:17 pm »

@Chiefwaffles: You should check out the Subjugation series by Fel.  Just look it up on google, it's free.  Good sci-fi.

Mech to Mech combat in space is stupid, yes.  However, as a vehicle for boarding action or by using ships as a platform and thus using mechs as anti-fighter support during space combat is all good.  It just depends upon how you use 'em.

That said, I haven't completed the main quest yet.  Too busy roaming around and building stuff.  Heh.  Love the mods as well.  I am kinda excited with the upcoming update, although I have no idea when it'll be out.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: March 16, 2017, 08:43:27 pm »

well, using the spaceships would have been a better idea. but it would have taken more time to implement because they would have to rework spaceships as a whole (which would have been cool, but oh well).

mechs are taken down as the game advanced to release i think, it was like getting 2 raw poultry with 1 hunting lance i guess. the game gets a much better space environment (until disproved) and players get mechs in the game again, this time with more customization options.

its not like it cant be done in a sidescrolling game, its that for the stage the game is in, it would mean tearing down what they have right now and build it from scratch.

another game can do that. i think it was one of the goals of Planet Centauri, but i see that veeeeeery far in the the future.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: March 17, 2017, 04:25:28 pm »

Starbound has never really prided itself on realism of a particularly strong Scifi theme, so I'm surprised that people are taken aback by a classic giant robots in space trope.

It was, inevitable.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: March 17, 2017, 07:20:08 pm »

Starbound has never really prided itself on realism of a particularly strong Scifi theme, so I'm surprised that people are taken aback by a classic giant robots in space trope.

It was, inevitable.

pretty much, its space opera, or space fantasy to be closer. the term "Terraria but in space" its not a bit far but its not correct either.

so yeah, seeing mechs in space fighting asteroid or ufo-like enemies doesnt seem too far of the them. i kinda like it, im fine with spaceships as they are right now. could it be improved? yeah, but they cant do it right now, too heavy, more than the vaults and terraformers.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: March 17, 2017, 10:58:22 pm »

Chucklefish obviously doesn't take the game too seriously so it's probably in everyone's best interest not too either.

The game has poop monsters, space mechs is the least offending when it comes to the unintelligent and silly design.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 130