Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 445513 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1845 on: September 14, 2016, 12:26:58 pm »

Yeah, I'd love a colony-focused mod. Something that really gave a colony meaning and purpose. Especially some sort of colony/npc village trade system or the like.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: September 14, 2016, 12:37:59 pm »

some of the backgrounds seemed really incongruous.. like:

earth is destroyed, the colony report you find states that only a very small number of humans live off world on colonies, average colony size is like less than 10...

But every time you find a human military installation they are all Kill On Sight.  Same with the prisons.  Just makes no sense.  Even convicts would be trying to build productive new lives, plenty of real world examples for that.

If there was some sort of "bring this colony resources / tools / food / seed-stock / water" kind of stuff, and you could help it evolve and grow and become stable... That would be really cool.  Or sort out diplomatic issues between different settlements, or broker trade...

Lots of potential, but unfortunately it all boils down to "grind so you can craft a new gun to shoot more animals with"

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: September 14, 2016, 12:39:37 pm »

"Kill the villagers so you can steal their secret stashes."

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: September 14, 2016, 01:40:27 pm »

The Earthers in Starbound were clearly strongly inspired by the Krogan.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: September 14, 2016, 02:40:37 pm »

Were they in turn based upon The Kurgan?  I never actually played ME but, when I looked up that name, the articles about them seem similar enough.

...In the grim darkness of Starbound, all humans are Clancy Brown...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: September 14, 2016, 04:51:31 pm »

Were they in turn based upon The Kurgan?  I never actually played ME but, when I looked up that name, the articles about them seem similar enough.

...In the grim darkness of Starbound, all humans are Clancy Brown...

Krogan are more Proud Warrior Race with a vast lack of common sense. They live on a shithole and breed geometrically, so the sciencey race (salarians) uplifted them and used them as soldiers to fight a bug war. Once the war was over, the science guys slapped the whole race with a sterility plague to keep their numbers in check.

Not much relation to crazy highlanders.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: September 14, 2016, 07:09:04 pm »

Humans in Starbound are probably the weakest storywise. (Novakids don't count as they have zero story intentionally.)

Feels both just general bad story and conflict with the Protectorate stuff they added relatively recently. It really doesn't make too much sense that Earth is home to both a human military force and a (human-led?) galactic federation-type thing. At first it was pretty simple:
Earth was where everyone lived, but the USCM (I think that's the right name) put military bases and prisons offworld for some reason. They had standing orders to shoot intruders when they lost contact with Earth, and that's about it. It was awful then and it's even worse now. Why are both they and I slaughtering the last remnants of our species?
And this isn't even that compelling storywise either! Why is everyone on one planet? Why hasn't Humanity expanded? What possible gameplay reason is there for this?

Hell, Starbound's story is just straight-out awful. It's all laid out at the beginning, there's no actual satisfying conclusion or feeling of change, and more. I want to save Earth! It just feels like an intergalactic tour rather than an actual compelling story.

Honestly, I'd be happy if the devs just made various themed expansion packs for Starbound. Not like bits of DLC or paid updates, but like tons of actual content relating to a theme. Like ships with FTL style combat and stations. Or more advanced and immersive colonies with stuff like puke mentioned. I'd definitely pay for that kind of thing. Not that it'd be better free, though.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: September 15, 2016, 11:21:16 am »

I liked the original idea of each species having its own background reason for fleeing their home world and their own questline. Comparatively, just one for every single species is pretty sucky.

Yes. This. Chucklefish threw away a lot of potential for that. The replacement story is even that GOOD. Sure, everyone is some stupid "chosen one" that lived on Earth despite being a murderous plant/medieval robot/feesh/etc. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: October 02, 2016, 12:26:59 pm »

wooh, my favorite starbound RP server is finally catching back up
Galaxy Citizen

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: October 03, 2016, 07:31:20 am »

:3
Black lives matter.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: October 03, 2016, 12:07:29 pm »

wooh, my favorite starbound RP server is finally catching back up
Galaxy Citizen
I'd probably join that if it weren't vanilla :/
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: November 06, 2016, 01:20:29 am »

Pretty decent, you've got fairly good basic skills and the right 'eye' for aesthetics, keep practicing, try mixing up the background tiles a bit too, there are lots of blocks to use.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: November 06, 2016, 02:12:23 am »

Pretty decent, you've got fairly good basic skills and the right 'eye' for aesthetics, keep practicing, try mixing up the background tiles a bit too, there are lots of blocks to use.
I agree here :O
There's a nice sense of architecture and symmetry, balance with form and function (I would've put everything of one utility in one spot without bothering about space...but that's different because I stuff everything into my ship ._.). If it's a note about aesthetics, it looks well made, although you do lack doors in many areas, and there seems to be much space for improvement with the wooden buildings (people usually cover the outside with a 'harder' material to avoid any bad weather but if it's underground, most don't bother because it doesn't really matter and the outer covering won't show that much anyway)

I also like your creativity and innovation :P The buildings are seamless with the only notice of obvious cut and paste being the background. That's a note of detail! I do like that 'spiral' staircase though, and the many (two?) varieties of wood had me mistaken for a moment thinking that the lighter one was the 'hard' floor while the rest were more background...so that had me wondering if that door was floating and you'd just drop into the cavern :P

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: November 08, 2016, 02:25:54 pm »

passing by to say that the next update will bring Terraforming capabilities for planets.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: November 14, 2016, 12:51:54 pm »

*yawn* How about a make-more-interesting-forming capabilities for planets?
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 130