Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 450284 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1800 on: September 10, 2016, 09:39:23 am »

Playing Starbound. I dont know how much they ripped off that was supposed to be in, but overall the game does not seem that bad.

If I had paid a premium expecting more features  I might have been frustrated. As it is I dont know about those features, got the game as a gift, and is an entertaining terraria clone.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: September 10, 2016, 10:36:23 am »

It's not bad per se, it's just brimming with unfulfilled potential.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: September 10, 2016, 11:33:25 am »

It's technically not bad. Quite frankly its good.

The problem is they promised the moon and the stars but all we got was a planetarium which they tore down anyways and build an observatory.

They promised one thing, built another thing and tore it down to the roots and gave us something else entirely. There was also forum drama involved at some point as well.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: September 10, 2016, 11:39:42 am »

Game has been patched. Novakids have live in places now and the tier 10 moon cheese farm no longer works.
Moon cheese? What's that about?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: September 10, 2016, 11:56:25 am »

Game has been patched. Novakids have live in places now and the tier 10 moon cheese farm no longer works.
Moon cheese? What's that about?
Moons briefly had a threat rating of 10, in spite of having no actual threats beyond the Ghost.  Since rent (basically, items you received from villagers at irregular intervals such as weapons, pixels, shields, costumes, and the like) was directly proportional to the planet's threat rating, this meant that you could build a village on the moon and get ridiculously powerful weapons and loads of pixels more or less from the moment you have your ship's thrusters functioning. 

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: September 10, 2016, 12:44:09 pm »

I'm disappointed they've fixed that. If I want to "cheat" a singleplayer game to get decent weapons, why do they feel the need to stop me?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: September 10, 2016, 01:01:56 pm »

Remember, there is no 'single player' in Starbound anymore.  As for why?  Re-read the thread, it becomes pretty apparent that the Chuckleheads have no clue what they are doing.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: September 10, 2016, 01:23:59 pm »

Well I mean.
Minecraft does it too. The only real difference is that it pauses.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: September 10, 2016, 01:57:29 pm »

Well I mean.

last I checked Minecraft (and Terraia for that matter) do not devour your bandwidth when in singleplayer, and can be played offline. Or rather, both of them actually HAVE singleplayer to begin with.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: September 10, 2016, 05:54:00 pm »

I'm disappointed they've fixed that. If I want to "cheat" a singleplayer game to get decent weapons, why do they feel the need to stop me?

If you want to cheat, you can just spawn the weapons in with console commands. That's what I did. I couldn't be bothered waiting for the random rent reward to roll a gun with the properties I wanted, so I just kept spawning them in until I got one I liked. (I couldn't be bothered to learn the proper commands to spawn items with specific properties either.)

Well I mean.

last I checked Minecraft (and Terraia for that matter) do not devour your bandwidth when in singleplayer, and can be played offline. Or rather, both of them actually HAVE singleplayer to begin with.

Wait, what? SB can't be played offline? And don't even get me started on the pause. That is inexcusable, IMO.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 05:57:20 pm by Sordid »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: September 10, 2016, 06:31:58 pm »

Because Starbound uses fake singleplayer that hosts a listen server.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: September 10, 2016, 06:51:10 pm »

So does Minecraft.
Though Minecraft definitely does it better.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: September 10, 2016, 07:03:57 pm »

Strange, as I have played Minecraft offline without issue. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: September 10, 2016, 07:07:46 pm »

Strange, as I have played Minecraft offline without issue. :V
Like Starbound (?), Minecraft creates a "fake" server when you play single-player. Ping isn't an issue, since the client and server are the same computer.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: September 10, 2016, 07:32:08 pm »

...welp, there goes another game I now fear will eat up bandwidth. >.<
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 130