Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 451468 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1305 on: August 01, 2016, 04:21:21 am »

The only bad thing about playing a Floran is that you get an awful purple snake pet (like I need another) instead of a SUPER CUTIE KITTEH KITTEH
Could be worse. My Novakid has an animated fart.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: August 01, 2016, 04:43:54 am »

The only bad thing about playing a Floran is that you get an awful purple snake pet (like I need another) instead of a SUPER CUTIE KITTEH KITTEH
Would that be classified as a fart golem, or a fart elemental? Fart sprite?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: August 01, 2016, 04:48:06 am »

"The world can be one together. Cosmos without hatred."

I like the snake-pet thing. It punts that red ball around the place as if it had legs.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1308 on: August 01, 2016, 04:50:59 am »

Can I use one of those pokeballs to catch my pet and move it somewhere else?

Also, how do you upgrade the ship? I don't see the option anywhere. I found a couple of "upgrade modules" somewhere but I'm not sure how to use them. My ship is itty bitty and I want a bigger one!

Also, I was pretty disappointed to realize that every single low-threat planet is identical. They are all actually starter planets, with the portal and everything. Such disappointment... I remember being able to explore and every planet was at least a little different. :( They totally nerfed all the variety, for sure.

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: August 01, 2016, 05:28:00 am »

To upgrade your ship you need a Licence, those can be obtained by recruiting a specific number of crew members (2 for your first one), or by spending absurd sums of pixels at the Penguin Bay (which opens sometime after the Florian Hunting Quest).

The Lush type planets always have the teleporter structure, and the mineshaft. For some reason -.- Also if you find a teleporter world in space, it is the same as the teleporters on lush planets aka useless by the time you're capable of finding them.

The non lush planets have a bit more variety, but all planets of the same type seem super similar. It really feels like a step down from previous versions.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: August 01, 2016, 07:35:38 am »

The Lush type planets always have the teleporter structure, and the mineshaft. For some reason
yeah the teleporter really stinks, because it's invulnerable and is surrounded by a no build area :P

Also, I don't understand barren planets. They're supposed to be places to build on. Why do hey have to have dire stone surface, instead of something more friendly to base builders :(
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 07:38:48 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: August 01, 2016, 08:02:08 am »

"The world can be one together. Cosmos without hatred."

I like the snake-pet thing. It punts that red ball around the place as if it had legs.

It does naught! Mine just ignores the ball like a prissy asshole plant-snake with no gratitude.
Love, scriver~

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: August 01, 2016, 08:17:32 am »

It does naught! Mine just ignores the ball like a prissy asshole plant-snake with no gratitude.

Maybe feed it? I have no idea what a plant-snake eats. I put popcorn and a steak into its food bowl and it ate both so it's apparently not picky. Don't need to find live mice at least.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: August 01, 2016, 08:20:41 am »

The game decides what your pet likes and doesn't like randomly.
Black lives matter.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: August 01, 2016, 08:35:39 am »

Y'know, I really want a larger amount of Codexes.
Also, some better separation of them between races, I doubt a report on the anatomy of the glitch from a seemingly space-faring perspective would be present in a glitch castle, especially a hostile one, and I also doubt that there would be two copies of a paper of a awakened glitch asking his brethren to remove their shackles and chase among the stars would be present in the same castle, same thing with third-person cultural dissections of the floran race in a hostile floran settlement, I don't know if those books would be something that wild florans would keep.

But, as unfulfilling, hand-wavy, short and dotted with grammatical mistakes as they are, I so desperately want more, maybe a more thorough codex about floran physiology? Even if I was thrown off by it being in a glitch castle, I really did like the whole codex about glitch behaviour and physiology, again, even if the whole part about the fact that they use salves, bandages and other medicinal concoctions and actually waste away if they don't is a touch hand-wavy, I wouldn't mind an expansion on that, or perhaps something that talks about the trouble that awakened glitch have integrating into space-faring society? Or what about something detailing the investigation of a floran trying to lead a normal life and finding itself in a situation where meat, something apparently non-sentient, is the majority? And while my position is screw the Hylotyl, the weeaboos, perhaps we could have some more detail on how their media and artistic society has developed from having such expanded senses?

Maybe I've been missing some better Codex entries, but I'm really so interested in the setting.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: August 01, 2016, 12:10:00 pm »

To upgrade your ship you need a Licence, those can be obtained by recruiting a specific number of crew members (2 for your first one), or by spending absurd sums of pixels at the Penguin Bay (which opens sometime after the Florian Hunting Quest).

The Lush type planets always have the teleporter structure, and the mineshaft. For some reason -.- Also if you find a teleporter world in space, it is the same as the teleporters on lush planets aka useless by the time you're capable of finding them.

The non lush planets have a bit more variety, but all planets of the same type seem super similar. It really feels like a step down from previous versions.

Is the purchased license actually working? Just do quests and hire crew. Then go back to the hub and mister pirate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: August 01, 2016, 12:15:58 pm »

Quests as super annoying as they are... is still faster then getting the money for licenses to my knowledge.

I still maintain that the game is somehow more fun on casual then it is on survival... Not because of its poorly implemented survival tactics but because your not punished for mining.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: August 01, 2016, 01:49:35 pm »

I really don't see the point. Why hunt/farm when you can just buy canned food at the Outpost?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:55:22 pm by Sordid »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: August 01, 2016, 01:51:09 pm »

Prepared food gives a variety of buffs that the canned stuff doesn't, so...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: August 01, 2016, 01:56:11 pm »

Sure, but you can get those buffs in casual too, can't you? You don't have to have a steadily decreasing hunger bar and a mandatory trip up your mineshaft back to the surface, both of which are pointless chores.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 130