Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 451462 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1275 on: July 31, 2016, 10:20:33 am »

The only bad thing about playing a Floran is that you get an awful purple snake pet (like I need another) instead of a SUPER CUTIE KITTEH KITTEH
Theres a mod to replace it with whatever pet you want.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: July 31, 2016, 11:38:12 am »

Also using the number keys isn't practical since that uses the same hand that is needed to dodge enemies.
Yep. Major reason why I used to keep my secondary heavy weapons on 6 and 7 - better to let go of the mouse to quickly jab a key with the right hand, than let go of the movement controls for the same time. Same reason why the magic mirror always goes to 0 when I find it in Terraria. The 1-5 half of the old hotbar typically had my exploration gear - flashlight, grapple, torches, platforms. The main weapons in the center slots, it was all so... handy.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: July 31, 2016, 12:09:03 pm »

I stopped playing after fully decking out my ship. I only got to the Avian boss and I really can't be bothered any more.

It's still pretty lackluster, even if I completely ignore how shit it was at first. Even as just a game judged by its own merits it's pretty frigging boring.

Hell, in some ways I prefer it at launch because at least the loot was meaningful and we don't have so much useless crap like these dumbass techs. I don't understand how a game can come out of early access three years later and be LESS feature rich. What a bunch of wankers.

But meh, I wrote this game off years ago so whatever.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: July 31, 2016, 01:07:37 pm »

Man, is the new hotbar that bad? I really find it alright, not perfect, maybe, but I'm not a connoisseur of hotbars, two blocks for every section, which correspond to the left and right mouse buttons, what made the original hotbar better?

1: You could ALWAYS have your shield or preferred offhand item available for right-click.
2. Torches, blocks, and way too many other things take up both halves of a hotbar slot.
2a: This makes your effective number of slots less than 12 in practice, compared to the no-bullshit, guaranteed 10 you used to have.
3: Matter manipulator and misc. placed in the middle. The old system was actually more annoying to me because I'm used to placing torches on the end and scrolling UP to get them quickly, but I can see this new system being annoying to others.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: July 31, 2016, 02:03:53 pm »

I guess everyone already gave their opinions and all that. I've played around 2 days and been trying to hold off until later in the game in order to judge it..but damn.
I've played for hours and it seems they try to delay you fixing your ship now, because that could mean the player ignoring the main quest or something.
I think my opinion on the game is the same as my opinion on its Hoverbikes. It looks good and stylish, lots of art, but that's one of the most stupid things I've ever seen in videogames.

At least my friends who are more casually-inclined say they are satisfied with the game. But I can't help but be dissapointed when I think the amount of time and money they had, and they deliver a game filled with boring stuff. Like the procedurally generated quests. Maybe I don't get it, but it made me run around a planet 5 times just so I could get a Reward Bag that gave me like 10 iron ore.
Am I missing something? Otherwise I'm pretty sure this feature was half-assed just so they could put a check on their roadmap or something.
Even the story made me facepalm. "Get the 5 items to open this door" right from the get-go? Really? Couldn't you hold the cliches for maybe a few hours?  ::)

In any case, I don't mean to start any sort of tantrum spiral on the thread. I'm glad this Starbound soap opera is over.  :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1280 on: July 31, 2016, 02:14:52 pm »

I had my ship fixed within the first hour or so. Grabbed 40 core shards from boxes in the mineshaft area then got the mining facility dungeon quest, finished it. It wasn't exactly a lengthy process. Again I think this is one of those differences in perspective from those who played the unfinished alphas and now see things have changed.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: July 31, 2016, 02:40:12 pm »

I'm running out of steam on it. Lots of stuff is pretty neat in concept with mediocre execution. The colony system is pretty cool, but the rent from it is abysmal (i.e. there's tables for each threat level, so you KNOW if I'm on a dangerous planet I have shitall use for hunting spears. Stop it.). Three native biomes per threat level? Comon. Where's the eyeball planets? At least some biomes should be planet-wide across multiple threat levels.

And for all the dungeons and stuff they said they were adopting to fill in, I haven't seen much if any of them. USMC prisons, avian towns, avian crypts, avian temples, and apex labs over and over and over. Maybe two planets with glitch. One Floran village (on a volcanic world). Zero apex apartments, no USMC bunkers, there's only one Hylotl city that I've seen three times. The same set of ruins on forests, jungles, savannahs, and mutants.

Why can't you sort containers?
Why in the holy hell isn't there a quick-stack button for containers?
Further, it was said they had finished (not were working on, finished!) a system that scanned the contents of containers. Why can't we quick-stack into containers in a radius?
Why won't the placement of windows save when you close them? Further, whoever decided the best place for the inventory to open is OVER your character should be fired, if they haven't quit already.

I'm not even going to ask about the walking mechs we were shown. The hoverbikes prove that implementation just escapes them.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: July 31, 2016, 03:09:27 pm »

They have a wonderful tendency to think up clever ideas, fuck them up initially, polish it up...and then scrap it all in favor of something less interesting, right at the last minute.

I could've sworn they HAD mechs and hoverbikes actually. And they apparently removed them?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: July 31, 2016, 03:19:04 pm »

They did have mechs as a tech. They were nearly useless because they constantly drained energy at a rapid rate, so you'd wind up in it for all of 10 seconds.

I remember that, yes. Seemed like a good panic-button tech though, if they'd just balanced it instead of scrapping it. ._.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: July 31, 2016, 03:22:14 pm »

The hoverbikes are still in, but unless you're using them to skim an ocean floor (which works, btw), they handle worse than the Mako from Mass Effect. Stuck on everything, laggy as hell in multiplayer, take damage a lot, and extremely awkward to maneuver unless you're just on flat ground.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: July 31, 2016, 04:25:23 pm »

I have a hoverbike and haven't been having any problems with it. Sure, damage is inavoidable, but it's cheap to repair and the hoverbike has enough health to not instantly get destroyed. Manuevering is really easy as well. I've been able to easily scale cliffs going straight up thanks to my hoverbike.

What kind of things do they even get stuck on, anyways?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: July 31, 2016, 04:26:26 pm »

So I went spelunking and found, deep, deep down below the surface, a bunch of old sandstone tombs.

With people living inside of them.

One of them gave me a quest to fetch her date.

Not sure if bug.
Love, scriver~

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: July 31, 2016, 05:47:39 pm »

I've found some human scientists in those underground ice biome mini-outposts, although they had lines that suggested they were supposed to be there.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: July 31, 2016, 06:03:19 pm »

Does anyone know if there's a limit to how many colonists you can stick on a planet? I found a desert world with two solid places to plunk down large communities. One is a half-ruined desert town - built on, surrounded by, and partially flooded by dozens of pools of healing water. If I rebuild and furnish the buildings, I can have a sprawling township where no one should be badly hurt or sick.

The other is a massive, nearly-abandoned hylotl mansion. I cleared it of ghosts and monsters, and just about every one of its many rooms is well-furnished and lit. I should be able to easily stick an entire extended family in there, with guard outposts near the entrances, while providing nearly no furniture of my own.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: July 31, 2016, 06:38:04 pm »

I've found some human scientists in those underground ice biome mini-outposts, although they had lines that suggested they were supposed to be there.

Yeah people are just kind of scattered randomly for no reason in Starbound now :P
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 130