Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about nobles  (Read 686 times)

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about nobles
« on: October 11, 2006, 08:07:00 pm »

Can the unhappy thought about the quarters of an "inferior" dwarf being too good be triggered by other nobles? Do nobles have sub ranks? EG: Does the Mayor consider the Captain of the Gaurd to be an inferior?

All of the non-nobles have rooms consisting of a door and a 1x3 area with a bed, coffer and cabinet. None have any engraving. All the nobles I have thus far have 3 rooms (bedroom, dining, study) each of which is 3x3 with double engraving on every square. They have all the furniture requested and some have a little extra (an extra cabinet or coffer or two). Several of the nobles consistently get unhappy thoughts about the quarters of their inferiors being too good.

Do I just need to bite the bullet and carve out a new set of rooms at 5x5 each? Or is it that the Mayor is actually unhappy about the House Ber (or some such) and not a peasant?

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
Re: Question about nobles
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 10:46:00 pm »

Not House Ber (as they have similar requirements), but maybe the Bookkeeper or the Broker are. You carved a set of carbon-copy rooms for all your nobles so each and every one of them has roughly the same "goodness" as the other.

Now since the Bookkeeper and the Broker have requirements that are just a cut above an average dwarf (Modest rooms), they can be considered as inferiors to say the Mayor or the representative of House Ber. And since they have rooms much more opulent than they require, the Mayor is grumbling because they're just mere paper pushers and he's the guy running your Fortress (at the moment, I'm assuming).

So if you don't want unhappy thoughts, build just to a noble's requirements and then stop. Anything extra will have to be given to all the nobles above that one or they might suffer thoughts of jealousy.

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 10:58:00 pm »

I know nobles reat like that to non-nobles, I just wasn't sure if nobles reacted like that to other nobles. If that is the case anyone know for sure what the pecking order is? Several have exactly the same requirements.

4VAlien

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 06:59:00 pm »

My question is also concerning nobles, however it is in a slightly different area. I made 4 5x5 chambers for each of my first nobles (manager, broker, sherrif). I put a weapon and armor stand in a separate room and assign those to each. However the game keeps saying that they dont have a weapon or armor stand. Are there special room requirements or something? Im lost so i hope you can help.

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 07:05:00 pm »

I am pretty sure they want the weapon, armor stand, coffer and cabinet in their bedroom. At least I put them there and it worked.

Also: Does anyone (hint: Toady) know for sure if Nobles get unhappy thoughts about the quarters of other nobles?

4VAlien

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 07:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Riemann:
[QB]I am pretty sure they want the weapon, armor stand, coffer and cabinet in their bedroom. At least I put them there and it worked.

....[QB]

I got it, you need them to be in the bedroom and not create armory or whatever. Thanks for the advice

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 08:54:00 pm »

Not nessasarily the bedroom -- just any room assigned to them. Since I have a tendancy to give my nobles offices that are larger than both their dinign room and bedroom combined, I've taken to putting them (and their chest and cabinet) in there.
lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!