Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rain based unhappy thoughts should be nerfed.  (Read 3848 times)

fuzzymonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rain based unhappy thoughts should be nerfed.
« on: December 22, 2014, 10:48:55 pm »

When my dwarfs have tons of happy thoughts -

Their stress level shouldnt be this massive

All because of one unhappy rain thought.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Rain based unhappy thoughts should be nerfed.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 10:51:34 pm »

I don't think rain causes much stress. I just let them complain and ignore them. :P
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

fuzzymonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 10:54:11 pm »

Well in that case rain is the only unhappy thought, and there are several happy thouhgts.... and there is 50k stress value

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 10:55:29 pm »

Yeah, that is strange. Maybe it is broken in the new version?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 11:39:27 pm »

In my experience I feel like there's an increasing pressure of unhappy rain thoughts, but only ever one unhappy thought. How long did that dwarf spend out in the rain?

The dwarves I've seen with it tend to start with annoyed or something mild then progress to more and more grouchy thoughts based on the rain.

Also that dwarf finds nature somewhat disturbing and is quick to form negative views on things so it really don't seem like she's one to take kindly to getting caught in the rain.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:41:20 pm by Slogo »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 11:58:33 pm »

It's the game's way of telling you, "Urist, you need to roof over the sky".

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 02:01:41 am »

Are positive numbers bad now?
Is it good now when everyone is coming up negatives?
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 08:28:16 am »

I know little about stress mechanics yet but shouldn't lower numbers mean more stress, and higher numbers mean little stress? It would also make sense if the number was red instead of green, to show that it's bad. Green probably means it's good.

Again I have absolutely no idea if this is true but based on all my common sense, it should.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 08:43:53 am »

I've got a stressed expedition leader (come on, it was one lousy kobold!  They barely even count as people!) and her stress level number is orange-yellow and like ten times that of her colleagues.

It would be nice to be able to make umbrellas or something for the dwarves, because you can't really cover the highest z-level with clear glass.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 10:47:03 am »

Can confirm that rain unhappy thoughts are annoying...I'm doing an above-ground megaproject in a rainy forest (everybody lives in the mess hall above ground while the [massive] tower is being built.) I'm four or five years in, and everybody has something to say about the rain. Half the fort is stressed because of rain and a kobold or two.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 11:03:29 am »

Actually "stressed", i.e. displaying the orange down arrow? I'd expect that to be more caused by kobolds and not just rain alone.

I'm pretty certain that dwarfs can get multiple negative thoughts from being caught in rain, the screen just tries to economise by not displaying multiple copies of the same thought (but apparently "interested near a fine bridge" thoughts triggered by different bridges are different enough that each can be listed). So in the above case, the dwarf probably got multiple caught-in-rain stressors and only displays the most recent (current) one. The dwarf is also "completely helpless in stressful situations" which i think is among the worst stress susceptibilities in the game. Regularly occurring minor stressors can be enough to wear a susceptible dwarf down.

And stress isn't a simple balancing system like the earlier mood - happy thoughts don't directly give happiness points that counteract a defined amount of unhappiness; stress probably builds while stressed and drains slowly while unstressed. And it's not presence of happy thoughts, but absence of unhappy ones that counts as unstressed.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 04:16:13 pm »

Actually "stressed", i.e. displaying the orange down arrow? I'd expect that to be more caused by kobolds and not just rain alone.

I'm pretty certain that dwarfs can get multiple negative thoughts from being caught in rain, the screen just tries to economise by not displaying multiple copies of the same thought (but apparently "interested near a fine bridge" thoughts triggered by different bridges are different enough that each can be listed). So in the above case, the dwarf probably got multiple caught-in-rain stressors and only displays the most recent (current) one. The dwarf is also "completely helpless in stressful situations" which i think is among the worst stress susceptibilities in the game. Regularly occurring minor stressors can be enough to wear a susceptible dwarf down.

For me, yeah, they're flashing red down arrows. They see a kobold and remain stressed for a looooong time, even after the kobold thought has faded, probably because of the rain. Thankfully they never get worse than stressed. So far. So I've been ignoring it, since practically half the fort is under-age anyway, and children seem to be more resilient (and will work, when they grow up, in a situation where roofs are actually common.)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 06:25:02 pm »

Can confirm that rain unhappy thoughts are annoying...I'm doing an above-ground megaproject in a rainy forest (everybody lives in the mess hall above ground while the [massive] tower is being built.) I'm four or five years in, and everybody has something to say about the rain. Half the fort is stressed because of rain and a kobold or two.

I don't see the problem though?

Why should dwarves be happy after being out in the rain for five years?

fuzzymonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 07:08:20 pm »

My dwarfs (and I believe his too) are outside, but almost always under a roof. I think there is clearly a glitch or imbalance in the system.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 09:06:57 pm »

My dwarfs (and I believe his too) are outside, but almost always under a roof. I think there is clearly a glitch or imbalance in the system.
"Augh! It's so loud! My little dwarven ears!"
Pages: [1] 2