Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rain based unhappy thoughts should be nerfed.  (Read 3844 times)

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rain based unhappy thoughts should be nerfed.
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 05:25:47 am »

Grouchy from rain? Mine just get annoyed.

1: "She becomes completely helpless in stressful situations."
2: "She is quick to form negative views about things."

#1 there will be a stress multiplier, and #2 means she gets the stress from rain very quickly with short exposures. Moving from roofed to rain repeatedly may be generating a lot of bad thoughts "what? It's still raining? There's no roof here either?". Meanwhile, she lacks the easy stress relievers by being humour deficient, a loner, and not forming friendships. She's also lacking booze, which can't help.

Also, she is impatient and likes a bit of strife, so maybe you can expect some in your future, That is, strife, and patients. Ba-dum-tish.

Turtle the poor wee girl before she goes mad. The new madness is mean, I've got a dwarf with a broken and infected finger, keeps snapping out of it, starting a fight, grabbing some food and booze, throwing some stuff, feeling bad about fighting and throwing stuff, and then dropping into melancholy again for a while. Forgot to turn his labours off, so he kept trying to work and got a bad thought from being unable to complete it with pain. Doh. Building him a nice room for some alone time, which will probably annoy his lover, but such is life.

Anyway: good does not cancel bad of a different category, Super-interested dwarves don't get boredom (or whatever it is) stress, but they get all the other types just fine. You need well-rounded happiness provision, not just an awesome dining room and nice entryway. Including keeping the rain off the grouches, it seems.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 08:33:19 am »

-snip for amazing-
Only in DF unit's personality has such a complex effect upon gameplay. This is simply amazing.
._.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 04:33:07 pm »

Can confirm that rain unhappy thoughts are annoying...I'm doing an above-ground megaproject in a rainy forest (everybody lives in the mess hall above ground while the [massive] tower is being built.) I'm four or five years in, and everybody has something to say about the rain. Half the fort is stressed because of rain and a kobold or two.

I don't see the problem though?

Why should dwarves be happy after being out in the rain for five years?

My dwarfs (and I believe his too) are outside, but almost always under a roof. I think there is clearly a glitch or imbalance in the system.

Yeah, the issue is that I'm building the fort aboveground. So I can't keep them under a roof while they're building, no matter what. Nor can I make them rain jackets, or umbrellas, or anything to keep the rain off of them (which is the realism problem, I guess - with good clothing, maybe full leather or something, they should be able to just get used to seeing rain all the time.)
Pages: 1 [2]