Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf mode armies  (Read 1245 times)

Augster999

• Bay Watcher
  • You have discovered an eerie post.
    • View Profile
Dwarf mode armies
« on: December 22, 2014, 08:53:29 pm »

So, I understand that there are armies moving around as you play in fortress mode. However, you never get to see them move; the game just has them move in the background. So, my question is: Should there be a way to see their current locations when you get news?  Also, what are the purposes of having them move in the backround?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Dwarf mode armies
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 08:58:40 pm »

1. I reckon that will be in the game in some future version. It'll have to be once you can start sending out your own armies. It should be especially fun when the game gets to the point where you can see (or not) sieges in advance or maybe get misleading/false information.
2. So the world progresses. Adventurers get to take advantage of it I guess too.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 09:01:23 pm »

Well, the larger point is that invaders aren't abstractions anymore. They actually come from a place and have to move to your place. No miracle-goblins born of soil in front of your gates!

Also, in order for us to know their locations in fortress mode in future versions they need to actually be moving around. Baby steps.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 09:28:50 pm »

My error log:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:D

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 11:45:54 am »

My error log:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:D

Fixed for 40.23! I've been bitching about that error all December, I feel your pain.
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 12:06:17 pm »

Maybe that's why armies never came?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 01:11:54 pm »

Maybe that's why armies never came?

See that's what I thought, but the dev log says:
Quote from: Toady
It doesn't directly affect invaders camping between marches, but armies lost to the bug (on their way home, for instance, or attacking villages) wouldn't be available for invasions later.

So it's partly responsible? I guess it would depend on how many of these armies you lost this way. If you entered a world of turmoil and murder and there were a lot of armies moving, yeah, a lot less soldiers that could go your way. My answer is basically a nod and a quizzical shrug.