Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice Cave In  (Read 590 times)

Catharsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ice Cave In
« on: December 22, 2014, 02:29:32 pm »

I'm trying to figure out ice cave ins on a glacier map, and having a hard time understanding what I'm doing wrong exactly. I'm planning on using the muddy tiles left over to farm, but something unexpected is happening. Basically, on embark, I dig a 3x3 straight down to the stone layer directly below ice. Then I dig out a room, let's say 11x11, due north of the stairwell. Now, I go up a level to do an ice cave in, only problem is when I dig this room out, it leaves a stone floor. So, I dig out the whole room and channel out the edges, dropping one stone floor on top of the other. This worked fine (except for a strange bug where "A pile of stone" appeared around my fort entrace a few z-levels up from where I did the cave in, which I guess is in the wrong place.) So, now I have the stone floor out of the way and I dig out the ice above that (2 z-levels up from main floor) then channel the edges and drop the 9x9 ice floor into the 11x11 room. Now this is where things get kind of weird. Water appears as it should, pretty much filling up the whole room at about 1/7. However, the only place that is muddy is the outer ring of the room (essentially where the ice did not directly contact the floor.) Now, where the ice did hit, it somehow destroyed the floor but not the wall underneath. So there is merely an open space where there should be a floor. Now, this inner ring has two things. Piles of clay, and piles of stone, instead of any mud (actually, these two appear randomly throughout the room, I'm guessing one is due to the floor and the other is due to the stones left when I dug it out.)

Anyway, the point is, how can I do an ice cave in that doesn't destroy the floor so I can use the water to get farm plots going?

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Cave In
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 02:55:05 pm »

Before you do the cave-in, you can channel out 1 layer lower and build constructed walls in its place to catch the ice so it doesn't destroy the floor. Or you can dig out a tunnel to the side with a foodgate/door/etc that leads into another room to muddy where the floor isn't destroyed.

Catharsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 03:11:03 pm »

So replace the original stone floor/wall with one that is constructed? Also, can it work with just the floor or no?

Catharsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 03:31:43 pm »

Went ahead and tried it like you said, it worked, almost, missed one square with water though (random, I guess, but I dropped a 3x3 into a 5x5 so that's probably why.) However, it left some very strange ice behind on a z-level above in a strange pattern... I'm guessing Toady skimped over this since this is all extremely buggy.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 04:00:29 pm by Catharsis »