north south
- 0 (0%)
east west
- 2 (15.4%)
both
- 7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29

Author Topic: Dominions 4 game #13 Sub found  (Read 42074 times)

akirilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 game #13 Poll on Era time
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2014, 12:24:04 am »

I'd like to jump in if it's not too late for that.  I am currently in the round 12 game, but beyond that my MP experience consists of one friendly skirmish.  I am fine with whatever era you guys chose.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2014, 02:50:20 am »

Hum ...
I wouldn't mind playing, and I'm clearly a noob, even after playing some of the Bay12 games...

I'll play one of the water nations, but I don't know which one yet (just not Pelagia) Oceania ! :D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 05:17:55 am by tompliss »

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2014, 06:45:27 am »

Completely changing my choices. It'll be either Lanka or Tir. If I can't get an expansion strategy on Lanka that I'm comfortable with, I'll roll with Tir.

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 game #13 Early Planning. Thinking more new to multiplayer.
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2014, 08:17:51 pm »

the generator i use lets me fiddle with a lot, north south wrap, east west wrap, are both options. THe biggest thing is, well, hm..

That's the generator, so call out some setting you wanna try seeing a map for and i'll test them.
That's an older version, at least compared to the one I have. I would suggest getting the newest, because at the very least it gives you an "impassible mountains" checkbox that you can untick. I despise impassible mountains because it creates chokepoint-heavy random maps that are very slow (every adjoining province to an impassible mountain pass is going to be Border Mountains, so most armies will move across those at 1 province per turn).

If there's a way to disable Small and Large province tags during generation, that would also be a really good idea. An almost necessary balancing step after any random map is generated is to mark any province with less than 3 or 4 connections so players can't start there, though, so you can just untick some or all of those marks at that point as well.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2014, 08:34:45 pm »

ooh, will look for a newer version, didn't think of that. And sorry bout the lsit of nations, still havne't found much time, busy day

Hatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2014, 12:09:45 am »

Personally, I would like a rather high province-to-player ratio. This has nothing at all with signing on to play squishy humans in the era of assorted giant thugs, and thus having much to gain from forestalling interplayer wars for 20 turns or so, I assure you.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 12:15:04 am by Hatman »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2014, 06:35:00 am »

I won't entirely refute that, but it's good to keep in mind that the more indies there are, the easier it will be for nations that can easily crush indies (oh like say... all the high bless sacreds, giants included, that are fairly common in EA). Player wars will start a few turns later, but the early blooming nations will be even bigger.

On the flipside those few turns might be enough to research your early key research to fight back big blesses.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2014, 02:29:02 pm »

I would suggest getting the newest, because at the very least it gives you an "impassible mountains" checkbox that you can untick. I despise impassible mountains because it creates chokepoint-heavy random maps that are very slow (every adjoining province to an impassible mountain pass is going to be Border Mountains, so most armies will move across those at 1 province per turn).

Just as a point of clarification, unless you mean the adjacent provinces are non-border Mountain (and IIRC they're not), this is not accurate. Border Mountain provinces have Mountainesque resources coupled with unmodified movement - the mountains in the province are on its borders, so movement through the province is unobstructed.

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2014, 06:33:46 pm »

I would suggest getting the newest, because at the very least it gives you an "impassible mountains" checkbox that you can untick. I despise impassible mountains because it creates chokepoint-heavy random maps that are very slow (every adjoining province to an impassible mountain pass is going to be Border Mountains, so most armies will move across those at 1 province per turn).

Just as a point of clarification, unless you mean the adjacent provinces are non-border Mountain (and IIRC they're not), this is not accurate. Border Mountain provinces have Mountainesque resources coupled with unmodified movement - the mountains in the province are on its borders, so movement through the province is unobstructed.
Really? Had no idea about this, honestly. Then again, outside of my first game with Yomi the only EA nation I've ever played is Ulm, so there's no way I could have noticed with the nationwide Mountain Survival.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2014, 07:39:32 pm »

ok, i'ma start compiling nations on the op.

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2014, 08:29:02 pm »

I'm on there twice! It'll be Lanka or Tir. I'd like to try Caelum eventually maybe but I wouldn't be comfortable with that playstyle right now. EA Agartha is just way too hard to survive with even after the recent Agartha buffs.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2014, 08:52:49 am »

fixed. Also, you guys ready for some map gens? I'll downlaod the new one, and fiddle out a few maps to vote on, but first changing the poll for a day to world wrap

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 game #13 Poll world wrapping for genned map
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2014, 09:09:00 am »

I am thinking of buying the game since it's on sale on Steam right now. Are there enough spots left for an extra person?
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2014, 09:24:38 am »

yeah, you'd be player 10 i think? unless i lost count.. Either way, yeah, room for you, there are still nations left. might need to cap it soon, if someone better with hosting can weigh in on a good limit?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2014, 09:38:17 am »

It... depends. B12 games tend to cap around 12, and the higher you go the more stales/dropouts you'll tend to have, but ultimately it comes down to the players. Well, and the higher the map size the more of a slog the endgame can be. But 10 isn't bad, and I'd not start getting nervous until you cleared 12 (and even that's still feasible).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29