north south
- 0 (0%)
east west
- 2 (15.4%)
both
- 7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29

Author Topic: Dominions 4 game #13 Sub found  (Read 42083 times)

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 game #13 # test genned maps, see page 5 or op
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2015, 06:28:59 pm »

Or you can just link to the map file and one of us with more experience can take a look at it and edit it accordingly. Since I have some experience with maps, just to get things rolling I've generated several myself. I tinkered a little with the settings but they're generally default since we have a nation that wants Wastes (Berytos) and one that wants Swamps (Ur). I've made some adjustments to get more long bands of plains than normal, but it's not excessive.

At least we'll get more choices, anyway. Tompliss knows how to edit starting positions and he understands firsthand the issues with bands of terrible terrain and Small Province tags, so that helps too.

(All maps wrap both ways, if that wasn't clear)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 06:31:03 pm by Hellheart »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2015, 06:30:15 pm »

Then we'll use one of yours, edited by myself if you want :)

Between those, I vote for n°3 : In the 2 others, the ocean is continuous, and it usually means that land nations can too easily feel like they're cornered.

Hatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2015, 07:52:25 pm »

The sandbar in 3 connects the two oceans - there is no land province between them. But I also vote 3.

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2015, 10:37:17 pm »

Yeah, that's just a little graphical noise added by the game. I could change 119 into a land province, but that just gives an amazing chokepoint for a player. I'd have to make two or preferably even 3 land provinces, but to be honest I don't think that's necessary. Interestingly enough, that sandbar DOES prevent those two water provinces from having a connection, which is kind of neat.

EDIT: Actually, it's really obvious that I should just connect the land provinces on the ends of the sandbar. There will still be a chokepoint of sorts, but it'll probably be a major point of contention and will solve a lot of problems with vertical movement on this map. Also, it's practically a given that one of those provinces will be under the control of R'lyeh because it's the easiest way to hop to the other side.

Under the assumption that it's probably going to be Map 3, I've gone ahead and started doing the edits. There's a cluster of 4 farms; 2 of them will be turned into Plains instead. All Large and Small province tags have been removed. The remaining Impassible connections have been changed to Mountain Pass or removed entirely; Normal connections and Mountain Pass connections were changed to reflect what the map actually looks like. The ugly long connections when provinces barely touch have been removed. And any provinces with 3 or fewer normal land connections are flagged as no-start. Places that should actually be Mountains (instead of Border Mountains, which is what the random map gen flags everything involving mountains) were flagged as such. Anything I'm missing?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 01:37:57 am by Hellheart »

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2015, 12:44:00 am »

Apologies for the delay, I didn't realize that white pixels marked provinces so obviously painting over the farms completely ruined all the connections, and I didn't figure it out until I was halfway through re-doing all the neighbors. On the plus side, that let me catch 3 Small Province tags and 1 Large Province tag that I had previously missed.

I'm done with my edits and the map is here

If anybody looks at it and catches anything odd, let me know. The OP should start Pretender submission with this map because you can always switch maps before you start it (assuming the map file doesn't get corrupted enroute), so if I need to edit anything in it should be an easy switch.

Ran it 6 times as R'lyeh with 9 random land nations and turn 1 Eyes of Debug. There were usually one or two pairs of caps that were two provinces away from each other but in all but one situation the other side was wide open. The water nation always starts on the eastern body of water and the three water provinces there with only two water connections were set to "No Start."

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2015, 06:38:36 am »

... seems cool ? :p

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2015, 10:53:01 am »

shall i edit the poll?
Idk, i jsut got up and am not sure what to do next

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2015, 12:04:36 pm »

Nobody's said anything against the map in...three days I think. Unless you have an objection I'd say just roll with it.

OUTDATED Directions for how to start a new game and NOT OUTDATED Directions for how to admin it using Llamaserver are here

To create a Dominions 4 game, just go to llamaserver.net and click the "Create a Dominions 4 game" link and follow the directions.

As far as settings go, I usually see the following (anything not listed below is left at the default):
  • Score Graphs: Off
  • Research: Standard
  • Hall of Fame Entries: 15
  • Story Events: Off
  • Master Password: (This will be your admin password. Make it something unique because you may need to give this to another player if you need to stop admin'ing for whatever reason)
  • Thrones of Ascension:
    • Level 1 Thrones only.
    • Number of thrones is usually somewhere between 1.5 * (# of players) and 2 * (# of players) for games with 8+ players.
    • Somewhere between 50% and 75% of the total ascension points should be required to win.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:15:01 pm by Hellheart »

Hatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2015, 09:59:59 pm »

I would say more than 50% of the ascension points should be needed to win - at 50% or lower, we would run a small risk of two players claiming their final throne on the same turn.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:34:44 pm by Hatman »

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2015, 04:07:08 pm »

ok, so, went to make the game, and yeah, we need to pick throne settings. that standard hellheart posted good?

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2015, 04:11:25 pm »

I'd say somewhere between 15 and 17 thrones, 9-11 needed to win.

Hatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2015, 05:05:48 pm »

sounds fine to me at least.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2015, 05:33:26 pm »

The map is not that big, so we may end up with thrones neighbouring capital provinces if we have 15+ thrones. I'd vote for something like 12 lvl1 thrones, 7 points needed.

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2015, 06:41:48 pm »

I was thinking of suggesting 13-15 but wasn't sure how that would play out. That plains region in the middle is friggin' huge and you have to figure that at least two thrones probably end up in the water. But yeah, in terms of capitols that may be too much.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2015, 02:06:00 am »

It's normal to be concerned about thrones being in the water, but for the same king of reasons, you should be concerned about thrones in swamps or caves or neighbouring capitals of the other nations :
Yes, as the only water nation, I would have an advantage when it comes to taking and holding those. But any nation, with a barrel of air and/or a few summons can (try to) conquer those provinces, but a disadvantage that can also be found on land ;)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29