Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Starting a new 40.19 fortress on an evil land (retired)  (Read 2298 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Starting a new 40.19 fortress on an evil land (retired)
« on: December 22, 2014, 10:54:53 am »

Edit*
I retired the fortress before the 3rd year.

Well my previous fortress is becoming boring so I created a new world.
To be honest, I never successfully started a fortress on an evil land before.

The world (The Cyclopean Domain) was created using an elevation map of Earth just for fun.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

America -- The Continent of Oranges
Afro-Eurasia -- The Land of Busts
Australia -- The Land of Bleeding
Antarctica -- The Fatal Continents
Japan -- The Delightful Island
Madagascar -- The Murky Island
New zealand -- The Island of Honesty
Oceans -- The Spattered Water

I searched and found a location with a river and no aqufiers, near the western shore of The Continent of Oranges, between Los Angeles and Las Vegas in real life I guess.

This time I still use a poulation cap of 7 and default embark settings. The place is called Likotnelas "Inkflickered". Let me try my luck...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 07:30:54 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Guvnah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a new 40.19 fortress on an evil land
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 11:06:54 am »

I like where this is going.  :P

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 11:11:39 am »

Ah, all my dorfs were caught in a loathsome ooze rain. They got blistered all over their bodies.
But fortunately they recovered in time and burrowed them underground to avoid further bad weathers...for now.

----------------
Some of them took a bath in the river and felt better. The worst animals in the river are some alligator snapping turtles, nothing they can't handle.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:14:39 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 03:47:52 pm »

Sounds pretty awesome. PTW.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 04:18:06 pm »

I wonder how long it will be before a chicken dies, raises as a zombie and starts a zombie jamboree that ends your fortress...

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 07:41:16 pm »

I wonder how long it will be before a chicken dies, raises as a zombie and starts a zombie jamboree that ends your fortress...

Is a haunted land a raising land as well?

I didn't make much progress before I had to go to bed.

Last time I checked my livestocks and found the cows were hungry so I pastured them under a newly built roof. My fisherdwarf went out to wash in the river and was cought in another ooze rain. He was unconscious and fell into the river. Fortunately he was smart enough to use the lower end of the river so he didn't drown himself. Will use a well next time.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 08:00:19 pm »

Is a haunted land a raising land as well?

I didn't make much progress before I had to go to bed.

Last time I checked my livestocks and found the cows were hungry so I pastured them under a newly built roof. My fisherdwarf went out to wash in the river and was cought in another ooze rain. He was unconscious and fell into the river. Fortunately he was smart enough to use the lower end of the river so he didn't drown himself. Will use a well next time.
It was last time I embarked in a haunted land, but that doesn't necessarily mean every haunted land will cause zombies... just make sure you have a macedwarf squad before you start testing your death traps...

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 09:35:40 pm »

Australia -- The Land of Bleeding
Seems legit
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 10:35:59 pm »

I checked the deceased list and combat logs.

A tiercel peregrine just fell from the sky and died. What happened?

Anyway, it didn't turn into a zombie, so guess I can butcher my livestocks safely.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 02:05:08 am »

I didn't complete the under ground trade depot in time.. now the caravan from mountainhome has come.

Helgraf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 05:12:31 am »

PTW. by the way whats the seed so i can use this world?
The long shafts of pulling. origional post by asehujiko.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 06:39:26 am »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 09:28:27 am »

Finally, I managed to dig a tunnel that linked to the edge of the map so the caravan could move in.
I missed their wagons though.

The ooze rain is annoying.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 01:19:23 pm »

It actually PREFERRED to use butchers in evil lands- butchering a corpse/limb prevents it from resurrecting.  I have heard of zombie hairs though, but haven't run into one myself.  For hte most part, just don't use axelords.  They tend to triple your zombie chances.  Also, don't use macedorfs: Warhammers are superior to maces in every way.  In fact, a silver warhammer is superior to an adamantium axe... except against bronze colossi and other large beasts.  Silver is triple the density of steel and warhammers have a very narrow impact zone.  Combine the two and all that weight gets concentrated in one spot for maximum carnage.  Silver warhammers will often kill a humanoid target in one hit by crushing their skull in.  Silver will mostly bounce off a bronze colossus/ bronze+ forgotten beasts though.  Larger creatures (hydra's/dragons) benefit more from spears (since a warhammer won't reach the organs of such a large creature). 

About your depot- that is a good idea, but it won't force your caravans to arrive next to its opening.  Your caravan could spawn on the opposite side of hte map and die from acid rain (then reanimate) before it reaches your tunnel.  Reanimation isn't immediate, but it is a feature of ALL evil biomes.  In a way, this is fun for training your military.  Military smashes zombie... zombie reanimates! Military smashes zombie (again).  etc. 

Also, that acid rain will actually coat your dorfs.  You need to set up a (cleanable) bath at the entrance to your fort.  A simple pool of shallow water that they are forced to walk through will suffice.  You'll want to set up a pair of pumps (powered by a windmill aboveground) to clean the water asap.  It'll also create mist to make your dorfs happy.  Just don't set that as a water source! The next thing you do is secure a reservoir to set up a well.  Just make sure it is 2 levels deep, as a 1 level deep reservoir will be "muddy" water instead of "clean" water. 

You are already rather fortunate, btw.  That rain could have including a thrall-inducing syndrome (thrall's resurrect with all equipment), or you could have been immediately set upon by a pack of zombie animals.  I don't you embarked with a military either... My very first evil embark died within the first month.. hell first few days, when a flock of zombie ravens decided to go all Hitchcock on my dorfs. 

Absolute first hting to do with an evil biome is start with a pair of military-trained dorfs and immediately burrow underground.  Once all your supplies are carried below ground- seal off the entrance.  Then you forge your weapons, get your farm set up, and build that reservoir/cleaning room.  Avoid using your military squad as hunters too.  Kills tend to reanimate before making it to the butchers.  However, a butchers right next to fort entrance(s) can help with this.

Oh, never embark on the shore of a terrifying ocean though! Zombie sperm whales are no joke (absolute largest creature in the game).

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 01:40:24 pm »

Maces are better against undead because they pulp more often, and I have had hair monsters (they are terrible, they terrify all your dwarves and some parts will make hair zombies too small to be hit so they're effectively invincible)
Pages: [1] 2