Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Two things you won't believe this forgotten beast did! (SHOCKING!)  (Read 2286 times)

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So one of my starting seven, a miner and mason of some skill was standing around by the shore of an underground lake, presumably having just finished his part on my new well when suddenly a giant one eyed scorpion, supposedly with a deadly bite came charging out of nowhere and shredded him before knocking his horribly mangled but still living body into the lake. Needless to say, I sent my entire military after the thing. After waiting around for half a minute or so real time the beast decided to strip away the last of my hope and dived in to finish the job, it was over quickly. My military, a squad of two veterans and four newbies who still didn't move to well in ther heavy iron armour was still nowhere to be seen. Soon a new dwarf walked in on the horror, a rather striking young animal dissector and mother of four, one of the forts latest useless migrants I hadn't really decided what to do with yet, probably there to save her late companion. She didn't even have time to panic before the beast was on her, sinking its mandibles into her chest before plunging its stinger into it. Well, at least that wasn't as much of a loss, I resoned, still cursing myself for not having stationed soldiers near the caverns. But the monster didn't finish her, it just stood there, grappling her with its mandibles until my militia commander (the one from yesterday's post, no less, saved by the latest patch) showed up and slashed its body apart. Strangely, other than the obvious issue of having giant gaping holes in her upper body now and quite understandibly feeling quite hopeless about the situation she has suffered no ill effects from the attack for months, if not seasons. Since she was pretty much useless as was and the attack promted me to finally get a hospital up and running I made her my chief medical dwarf and assigned her an assistant who promptly fixed up all of her lasting injuries. She now seems to have forgotten entirely about the worst of the attack, spending most of her time admiring various furniture.

So yeah, there are two thing I don't get here, first of all, what's up with the FB not finishing the second dwarf off? I've seen this behaviour once before, when a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
knocked a fisherdwarf into another undergound lake in a different fort, and then followed him  in, grabbed him, and just held him there until he drowned, not making any further attempts at attacking. Normally I'd assume it was the wrestling system screwing up, but that seems a lot less meandering than before, and there are no reports of them doing anything further wrestly. Secondly, what's up with her not keeling over from its supposedly deadly poison? Do they get a roll to resist FB syndromes now? I've seen dwarves be able to survive less lethal syndromes before, but I've never seen anyone completely unaffected by one. Checked her profile and her disease resistance seems to be bog standard can't-even-be-bothered-to-mention-it meh. I suppose the militia commander damn near bisecting a giant scorpion is up there too, but that's classic DF.

dillonsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Two things you won't believe this forgotten beast did! (SHOCKING!)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 02:32:35 am »

"sinking its mandibles into her chest"
So it raped her? :O

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 02:55:56 am »

Well... no, not unless my biology is way off. ???

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 03:29:47 am »

Rape does not usually involve mandibles as far as I'm aware.

Also, thread title is clickbait, but the post itself is actually interesting. I don't know how to feel about this.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 04:45:31 am »

Must ... not ... spoil ... looming ... fun.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 05:28:39 am »

Maybe water has an effect on combat ? This needs to be tested.

Or Toady has implemented drowning manoeuvers by innately swimming creatures on non-innately swimming...  :o

Forgotten beasts are non-sentient animals, so no.

Also let's not go there.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 07:44:30 am »

Only if biting now constitutes sexual assault...
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 08:24:53 am »

I think they're referring to the Alien facehuggers.

Also, I was expecting nudes.  This thread disappoints.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 08:29:01 am »

I just want to say, judging by your title:
"Cracked : America's only humor site"
In a time before time, I had a name.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 08:40:31 am »

I just want to say, judging by your title:
"Cracked : America's only humor site"

That was my immediate thoughts as well...

Though unlike them, the content actually sorta kinda maybe matches the title rather than being completely unrelated. Though it's still believable...

In regards to the actual topic, I have no idea what caused it. Maybe the Scorpion fell in love with your Dorfette and left its claws in the wound so she didn't bleed to death until help arrived. Maybe Toady secretly coded in poisons that don't affect females. Who knows?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 08:45:58 am »

Alternatively, its fangs might have just got stuck in her bones, and not really poisoned her because they went straight through her out the other side and blocked any bleeding.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 08:52:19 am »

Combat is still funny, and wrestling has always been odd in df.  I wouldnt recommend trying to station dwarves in water to fight FBs.

And it would be interesting if somebody were to mod in functioning Face Huggers . . . [off to his modhole]
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 01:25:58 pm »

Combat is still funny, and wrestling has always been odd in df.  I wouldnt recommend trying to station dwarves in water to fight FBs.

And it would be interesting if somebody were to mod in functioning Face Huggers . . . [off to his modhole]

Combat is still funny, hence my regular suggestions to improve it.

I have never tried stationing dwarves in water for anything, but I assume something stupid happens.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.
Pages: [1] 2