Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28

Author Topic: Galaxy Rise: More like Galaxy Fall, AMIRITE?  (Read 31074 times)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Rise
« Reply #315 on: January 06, 2015, 03:19:23 am »

Kinda risky though. No chance we could also have the Darts sweep in if things go badly?
+1
Or better, combined arms.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 06, 2015, 03:22:06 am »

True.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 06, 2015, 07:32:32 pm »

Let the fighters get within range of at least two AA turrets, then blow them out of the sky.  Nothing fancy here; lure close, broadside them, small chunks.
+3
Recruits.
+2
[H]ave the Darts sweep in if things go badly[.]
+2.5
Let's use the HQ's tracking equipment to find any Uark patrols
+1
Bring the prisoners to some kind of shed not connected to the rest of the pressure structure, then strip them from the EVA suits. No escaping that way.
+1
Let's have engineering fix up the base and build a jail. Equip our remaining recruit with decent weapons and armour and arm our officers with better weapons. Our uninjured marines will guard the prisoners, Hensen will continue training our recruits, Donnely will oversee the repairs to the base, and Lip will make sure the two transports get shot down.
+1

The defense grid interface on the Telemachus flares to life as Donnely activates it from its control center. A few moments later, the two blips disappear off the screen. You may want to check the crash site for survivors and the like, though.

You decide to make use of the speaker systems throughout the HMC, and start to broadcast a recruitment message set to loop every hour or so. An astounding 55 recruits show up at the control center to join you. You're sure Hensen is giddy with joy under that suit. In related news, Lip has finished an inventory of the armory. The armory can equip 26 soldiers in Uark light patrol gear, but with careful rationing, you can probably get 50 or so sidearms and the like for the rest. Hensen volunteers to train the old and new recruits, and you let him do so. By the end of the round, whatever that means, you have 38 out of the 55 trained to the same level as the first group of miners.
Acquired 38 recruits (miner equipment), and 17 miners.

While you have Donnely compile a report (and send the engineers to the control center) on the damage and possible repairs of the base, miners bring the prisoners over to a pressurized equipment shed and strip them of their suits. They don't seem to resist much, but definitely aren't fully cooperative.
Donnely opens up a link to the ship. "Captain, cursory examination of the damage we created is actually pretty good. The holes we blew into the building are small and had no impact on the structural integrity of the building. With 40 units or so of regular alloy we can make it as good as new. Of course, with better materials, we could try our hand at reinforcing the control center."

You briefly consider swapping out your officers' weapons, but that'd be stupid. An energy revolver is basically an expensive handcannon. It's a weapon issued only to officers, designed as a potent weapon both in defense and offense. You do equip the recruit from before with actual gear, though.
1 Recruit equipped with Uark gear.

Something unexpected happens. The control center's communication systems receive a video message from what appears to be the Uark governor of Troth.
"You've got quite a cute little revolution going on here. I'm sure you think that nobody cares because it's just a small outpost. You're quite wrong. I like to make examples out of revolutionaries. But to be fair, and give me a little bit of entertainment, I'll let you know a little secret - this uprising is going to be crushed horribly, thanks to a certain capital-sized ship on its way."
"I think they should train their governors in the art of bluffing. Thanks to his little ominous video feed that came with the message, it's pretty obvious that he's bluffing."
"Probably."
"Hopefully."

There is transponder tracking equipment at the base, but either you're locked out or there are no activated transponders within range. Most likely the latter.

Spoiler: Defense Grid (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Away Team Status (click to show/hide)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 06, 2015, 07:57:33 pm »

Arm and armour all our new recruits with rationing. Send out some trucks with a few recruits to check on the crash site to bring back any loot. While they're doing that, Hensen can train the remaining miners into recruits. Engineering will fix up the station while the rest of the recruits go to the HMS to get some alloys for our ship and some explosives. HMC will keep some of it because their workers need to get paid to eat.

After that, we'll need to head to Prime (the capital city of the moon we're on) with all our troops to take the big laser they have there. It's our only chance against the capital ship.

Information on the sector is on page 16 of this thread.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #319 on: January 06, 2015, 08:02:01 pm »

Arm and armour all our new recruits with rationing. Send out some trucks with a few recruits to check on the crash site to bring back any loot. While they're doing that, Hensen can train the remaining miners into recruits. Engineering will fix up the station while the rest of the recruits go to the HMS to get some alloys for our ship and some explosives. HMC will keep some of it because their workers need to get paid to eat.

After that, we'll need to head to Prime (the capital city of the moon we're on) with all our troops to take the big laser they have there. It's our only chance against the capital ship.

Information on the sector is on page 16 of this thread.
+1

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 06, 2015, 08:04:19 pm »

On the off chance that the capital ship isn't a bluff, we should look into the possibility of pressurising one of the larger mines to hide the civilians in.

The other option would be rapidly taking prime, to make use of their anti-orbital batteries. (I am right in thinking they have those?)

PPE: Andres' idea works too.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 07, 2015, 12:13:49 am »

Interrogate prisoner.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 12:17:28 am by Pencil_Art »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 07, 2015, 02:16:26 am »

Interrogate prisoner.
+1. Maybe our officers will know what to ask him. At the least we should ask if there's a capital ship on the way.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 07, 2015, 10:48:39 am »

+1 to Plan Andres and interrogations
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 07, 2015, 07:32:35 pm »

The other option would be rapidly taking prime, to make use of their anti-orbital batteries. (I am right in thinking they have those?)
Kind of. Prime has a single superhuge beam weapon system set up. It's housed in a huuge building and as a rule of thumb, if you can see that the city exists, it can shoot you. The only way to get past such a laser is A.) Really strong shields, B.) Lots of expendable ships, or C.) Landing soldiers somewhere else and taking it via ground forces.
Based on intelligence acquired during battles, the common Uark capital ship (keep in mind there are many different classes) can survive anywhere from zero to ten shots from a beam. Though generally a single beam station wins against a single capital ship.

Fun fact #1: U.E.F. Planetary Defense on more important planets works like this:
A planet is divided into sectors
Each sector worth protecting has a Planetary Defense Station, or a PDS. The PDS is the host to all the soldiers garrisoned to that region, interceptors, transport vehicles, a surface-orbit weapon (usually the beam, or missile array), and most importantly, a shield generator that can project across the sector.
Fun fact #2: Earth, at the time of the attack, was heavily fortified. Since it was basically a planetary city (think Coruscant) each sector had a PDS, and due to the density of the PD stations, the shield generators could be utilized to form a planetary shield, covering the entire planet in a shield.
This, combined with the rallied U.E.F. forces, desperation, orbiting defense stations, and more, made Earth what appeared to be an impenetrable stronghold.

Update soon.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 07, 2015, 11:35:31 pm »

Arm recruits w/ rationing, check crash site, train miners, fix station, get alloys+explosives
Support: +4
Interrogate prisoner.
Amendment: Ask about Capital Ship, use officer.
Support: +3
Look into possibility of pressurized mine
Support: +1
Prime suggestion removed due to redundant with higher support suggestion

You have all the recruits and miners arm themselves with gear while Hensen successfully trains the rest of the miners into recruits.
17 Miners now Recruits; 26 Recruits armed with Uark gear; 29 Recruits armed with Uark Sidearms

A squad of recruits is also sent out to the crash site. The video from the suits indicates nothing of real interest, but as you start to turn away, the comms uplink turns on.
"Sir! I think I may of found a secure communications link with the local Uark command. It doesn't seem to be working, though."
"Allow me to interject, Captain." says Donnel-Wait, how was she listening in?
"While the communications console is a lost cause, there's a chance that we may be able to recover an Uark security key. This is just a theory, but I may be able to physically hack restricted Uark consoles with a functional key. This could definitely come in handy if we find any consoles of Uark origin. We'd need to repair and crack the key first, though."
The recruits head back to the control center and drop off the key there. The rest of the wreckage was unsalvageable.
Broken Uark Security Key acquired.

Engineering exits the ship and hop on a truck to the control center, where they patch the holes up and restart life support, using 38u of regular alloy to do so.
38u Regular Alloy consumed; Control center repaired.

"And what of revolution 39-C?"
"They have gained total control of the mining colony as well as its defenses."
"Does the governor plan to do anything, or shall I intervene?"
"The local governor reports that his platoon is ready to start Procedure 61 very soon."
"Good, good. Do keep me updated - this one seems like it could become interesting."

"Sir? You there?"

You jolt up from your resting position in your seat. "Yes, Lip?" you state, attempting to act like nothing happened while wiping what appears to be sweat off your forehead.
"I got one to crack. Sort of. According to him, there's probably not going to be a capital ship any time soon, but there are contingency plans in place for a scenario like this. I was also able to gleam that one of the more important plans in place is to lock down the area surrounding the Uark occupation HQ, which is in Prime."

You read up on the reports that seem to accumulate like crazy whenever you aren't waiting for them. 14 units of explosives (14 bundles) have been brought to the Telemachus, along with 128 units of regular alloy. Apparently higher quality alloys aren't available here. You're also reaching the max storage capacity of any type of material in your ship: 200 units.
14u Mining Charges, 128u Regular Alloy acquired.

As for the pressurized mine idea, you could theoretically wall off a section of a mine and pressurize it. You'd need to nab life support equipment from somewhere, 100u of Regular Alloy, and a Portable Generator (Engineers say that any non-miniscule generator would work).

In unrelated news, the wounded Marine has healed quite nicely and should be ready for duty again. Hensen also left a message for you.
"Just finished a preliminary report on Prime. It has a border guard, sensors, the whole nine yards.
Though it's not like we have Uark prisoners, IDs, suits, and transponders or anything like that."

Spoiler: Defense Grid (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Storage (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Personnel (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 11:38:25 pm by Chiefwaffles »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 08, 2015, 12:01:34 am »

Remember to guard the prisoners.

Interrogate prisoners on the subject of the key.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 08, 2015, 12:02:40 am »

Interrogate prisoners on Procedure 61 and other procedures. Get checked in the medical bay for any microchips in our brain that could cause us to become a Manchurian agent or something. Fix the security key. Ask engineering about armouring the Telemachus with regular alloys.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 08, 2015, 12:11:14 am »

Interrogate prisoners on Procedure 61 and other procedures. Get checked in the medical bay for any microchips in our brain that could cause us to become a Manchurian agent or something. Fix the security key. Ask engineering about armouring the Telemachus with regular alloys.

+1

Nunzillor

« Reply #329 on: January 08, 2015, 12:49:08 am »

+1
Mostly +1, but um... microchips in our brain?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28