Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28

Author Topic: Galaxy Rise: More like Galaxy Fall, AMIRITE?  (Read 31151 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Rise
« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2014, 07:53:08 am »

We won't be able to throw the suit inside before the entire room is depressurized.

And remember, he only has 14 seconds of consciousness.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2014, 08:10:59 am »

So from here I got a formula giving the time it takes for a spaceship's internal airpressure to drop from pi to pf when exposed to vacuum (assuming 293K as temperature, and a couple other stuff.)

t = 0.005 (V/A) Ln[pi/pf]

Where V is the room's volume, A the hole's surface area.
Assuming initial pressure of 1 atm, and final pressure of 0.2 (Which should survivable until he/she gets into the EVA suit, that the hole will be a 5cm*2m opening as we open the door a bit and that the control is 4*4*2.5m, we have 32 seconds. Not nearly enough I'd say. If we had some kind of gas canister we could open and throw in with the suit...

Altenatively, finding a better way to open the door. If it's a raising door a meter wide, we'd get a minute for a small opening. If we could tape some of the opening...

Tap on the window, and use morse code and sign language - or the intercom, if we can get it to work- to ask the survivor if he knows if this ship has a utillity cutter.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:13:03 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2014, 12:18:32 pm »

It's a good idea but at some point you need to give him his helmet, which would require you to open the door even more. The average human head is 15cm wide and the helmet would be wider. Still, it could buy him just enough time to get it on.

Tap on the window, and use morse code and sign language - or the intercom, if we can get it to work- to ask the survivor if he knows if this ship has a utillity cutter.
Write a note and press it up against the window. Surely he's noticed us by now if he's conscious.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:28:38 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 30, 2014, 03:19:44 pm »

Surely this would be made harder by the air rushing the other way through the gap, as we try and post the thing through?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 30, 2014, 06:43:02 pm »

Using their uplink, the marines type a note on it asking about the possibility of a Utility Slicer on board.
Soon, they get another note back on the other side of the window.
"Cargo Room - C19"
"He most likely means that they have an Utility Slicer in compartment 19." observes Security Officer Hensen. "We didn't have a code for it, th-"
Hensen stops when he sees another note on the bridge monitor.
"9810"
"Alright. That'd be the code."
"Captain, I reviewed the blueprint of the ship and the video footage, and there should be a pressurized room here." says Engineering Officer Donnely as she points to a room on the map. "It doesn't have a functioning airlock, but the marines should be able to enter before it loses all of its air, and the remaining air should be enough to sustain life when the team cuts into the control room."

Spoiler: Away Team Status (click to show/hide)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 30, 2014, 08:58:27 pm »

Make it so, Number One.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2014, 09:43:10 pm »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2014, 11:05:28 pm »

The team, after grabbing the EVA suit, heads to the cargo bay, hooks up the generator, and opens up the compartment.
Utility Slicer acquired.
Arriving at the pressurized room's door, they quickly open it, go through, and close it. A marine steps forward and starts to get to work on slowly cutting open the thin wall separating the two rooms. About an hour later, with the new human-sized hole in the wall, they approach the survivor.
"Thank you! I don't know how long I would of lasted!" he says as he starts to stand up. "Pilot Smith. My fighter was assigned to the F.S. Argos, which is, well, was the ship you're standing in right now. Do you require anything of me?"

Spoiler: Away Team Status (click to show/hide)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2014, 11:29:19 pm »

Come with us if you want to live

"We're [ship name, information, command] and under [orders].  What happened here?  Is there anything else of use on the ship?  We could really use another pilot because [plans]."

(PS: Off topic, but for some reason the name "Galaxy Rise" resonates with me really well.  No idea why, but it does.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2014, 11:36:58 pm »

Let's get him in an EVA suit and then we can start taking the two fighters and placing them in the Telemachus. We should also install the heat sinks and the heat clips. We could probably use the Argos by tractoring it. Then, all we'd have to do is show up to the space station with the Argos in tow and it'll look like we're two ships prepared to destroy them unless they surrender.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2014, 11:42:25 pm »

The Argos has no power and several hull breaches; I think they may notice something is up.  Additionally, I'm unconvinced two fully loaded and pristine of our ships could even win that fight, considering the station has docking space for twenty fighters in addition to its main guns.  Hell, even chucking the Argos at it may not work; they could blow chunks off it before it impacted unless we really got it zipping.

I say we strip it for parts (and wiring; remember ours is patchwork) and fix what we can of our ship with it.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2014, 11:53:20 pm »

We could throw the Argos at the ship while our fighters move in to blast their guns up without fear of being shot themselves. Defenceless, they'd have no choice but to surrender. If they choose to hold out, we'll slowly start firing on them (possibly taking out the heat clips because we'll be firing slowly anyway and we don't want to waste them) until they surrender. If it means destroying the station then so be it. As a form of surrender, they must board the nearest shuttle and fly to our ship. There, we will scan it to see if they're all in there. We should keep them held as hostages for later.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28