Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28

Author Topic: Galaxy Rise: More like Galaxy Fall, AMIRITE?  (Read 31102 times)

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Rise
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2014, 04:26:09 pm »

Can't we drop our landing team from beyond sensor range and have them drift to the station? If we send them drifting at ~6m/s (equivalent to falling from 2 meters up on Earth), they could do over 20km in one hour.
That could work if they have the right equipment! I like that idea. Even if passive sensors pick them up, which is doubtful, they'd just seem like debris. Hopefully GM can tell us a bit more about what we know about the sensors.
Yes yes!!!

Then we could have them use a surge causing device to shut down their power then attack them with both our fighter and our main ship

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2014, 04:48:27 pm »

Now, if only we had a surge causing device, or any evidence that such a thing even exists.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2014, 07:46:35 pm »

*stabs an outlet with a fork*

E:
Our fighter should be capable of handling vacuum.

Okay, so for some reason automation and fire control is stuck in the twentieth century, but I'm not going to complain about that.
Uh, it's a space vessel, so yeah that's obvious (and completely beside the point I was trying to make), but you forget that it'd be inside the hangar when we blow it up. >_>

Sounds like the turrets can identify targets, acquire solutions and shoot all on their own, it's just that people need to tell them what among the things they detect that they're allowed to fire at, which sounds totally reasonable. :v
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:13:25 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2014, 11:29:17 pm »

Ok let me clarify
First we have our engineers complete the heatsink the have them create a device like the the one described by shadowhammer   
Here...

The engineers could make a fuse-breaking device for the marines to use a diversion -- it would have to be physically hacked onto some wires, and then it would dump a massive overload of current into them, causing widespread electrical failures

Then carry out the plan detailed by sheb

Can't we drop our landing team from beyond sensor range and have them drift to the station? If we send them drifting at ~6m/s (equivalent to falling from 2 meters up on Earth), they could do over 20km in one hour.

And when the boarding crew breaches the hull they disable the power with the surge causing device disable ing them long enough to fire our main ships guns several times our fighter would fire upon them several times then head for a prespecified hanger and pick up our troops and then do as much damage as we can before they fix the problem then flee unless they are heavily damaged

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2014, 12:46:00 am »

Not really a good enough consensus to do an update, so more information!

The engineering officer theorizes that if somehow the reactor core of the Telemachus was hooked straight up to the Station's systems, the extreme amount of raw energy coming from the reactor core could fry a decent amount of electronic systems hooked up to the reactor.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2014, 03:11:54 am »

Yeah, but we don't really want to hook the Telemachus to the station for extended periods of time. Could we maybe rig old heat sink/heat clips as makeshift incendiary ammo? They're full of very hot handwavium gel after all.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2014, 05:53:43 am »

The gel is not hot of itself, but because it absorbed energy from wherever it came from.

Besides, we have neither a heat sink nor a heat clip, so ...

Anyway, according to the GM, IIRC, the amount of people they have on that station is low compared to it's size. Thus, I suppose we could send in a stealth mission, provided that there aren't any sensible measures such as cameras or locked doors.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2014, 08:14:52 am »

I thought we were just out of fresh heatclips, not any at all.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2014, 08:26:05 am »

Heatclips are ejected after they're used. They're mini-disposable heatsinks, after all. First you dump the heat in them, then throw them away before the heat destroys them.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2014, 10:23:51 am »

I'd personally keep them so you could vent the heat from them outside of combat, but oh well.

Anyway, the suggestion I think has the majority so far is to stick our marines in vac-suits and let them slowly drift towards the station. They should be mis-identified as debris, and they'll be able to force their way in once they arrive. What to do meanwhile still seems to be up for debate.

I personally like the idea of rushing a hanger and then fortifying it.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2014, 01:59:53 pm »

I vote for drifting the marines, taking the hangar and forting up.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2014, 02:03:33 pm »

Question : Then what?

Assume that we can take a hangar, activate the blastdoors or something and shut it off from the rest of the station. What do we do then?

We have our marines locked inside a hangar, a space station on  full alert, and presumable other forces coming in to aid them as well.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2014, 02:18:43 pm »

What about a spin on your idea? They take the hangar, secure it and lock it down from the rest of the station, then they depressurize the hangar and open the bay doors. They jump away and we put one good shot right in the unprotected guts of the station. Surely that'd take care of most everyone onboard, then we go from there. The marines can reboard and finish off the survivors.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2014, 02:21:38 pm »

Why depressurize the hangar if we're are the only people in it?
On another note, leaving a station (via space suit) that is now on full alert does not seem very beneficient to your life expectancy.

So that reduces the plan to shooting the station in the vulnerable bits.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2014, 03:07:57 pm »

Or we could not assault the Space station, and come back later when we are more stuff. We should stay in ambush around the space station, they must have supply ships of some kinds, we can raid them.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28