Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Final Frontier: Spaceships and Six Guns: Western RPG Interest Check and OOC  (Read 4803 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Final Frontier: Spaceships and Six Guns: Western RPG Interest Check and OOC
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2014, 07:02:24 pm »

Oh, two questions:
 This is for more than one char, right?
 What is a skill and what is a stat, in the giant list that is...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2014, 07:05:18 pm »

This is for more than one char, right?

Yes, every player gets their own character. It is an RPG, not a suggestion game.

What is a skill and what is a stat, in the giant list that is...

I forgot to make that more clear, sorry! The Stats are the ones (in the edited version) that are above the skills. The outline goes like this:
Stat
  Skill
  Skill
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2014, 07:06:50 pm »

Allrighty, and we each get our own ship? Or are we voting on the ship we all share?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2014, 07:10:51 pm »

Allrighty, and we each get our own ship? Or are we voting on the ship we all share?

You each get your own ship. As it was voted "I work alone." / Final Fantasy (Bay)12: 5/10.", roughly half the time you will be working alone. (Well, given that it is your choice who you work with, you will essentially be working alone or with a party as much as you want). There is nothing stopping you and another player from sharing a ship temporarily, or even permanently, but you each start with your own. Otherwise, going on solo missions would either be impossible or annoy everyone else.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2014, 07:15:16 pm »

Ah, heck. Time to make one then...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2014, 07:57:38 pm »

Hey do we get 20 or 30 for stats?

I have 20 and Aseaheru has 30 currently and you said both sheets were ok.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2014, 08:03:57 pm »

Hey do we get 20 or 30 for stats?

I have 20 and Aseaheru has 30 currently and you said both sheets were ok.

20, you are right. He used too many points. In all honesty, I usually trust my players with their own math unless I have some extra time before the game. Ill ask him to correct it.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2014, 08:04:20 pm »

Shit, I had 30? Im gonna fix that now...

-Dang ninja of a GM-

-edit adressing things found while looking over IC thread again-
Also, to comment on the below quote, some nations still use lee enfields for their armies, china used crossbows in their police forces up into the 1950s (or was it 60s? It may have been 80s...), and thats governmental institutions. Hell, there are people out hunting with blackpower rifles modeled on ones dating from the 1800s.
First is the nit-picky: Aseaheru, are you sure you want a Pulse Rifle as a weapon? I had originally intended the weaponry to be more in line with things like Cowboy Bedop and Outlaw Star, thus the "Six Guns" in the title. Of course if everyone finds this more fun/interesting, it wouldn't be hard to make the Standard Sci-Fi guns fit the Space Western setting.
-edit after fixing things-
Fixed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:09:17 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2014, 08:06:34 pm »

I only noticed because going up and down the page to check details was more work then just using your sheet as a template :P. I'm lazy like that.

You missed out Maneuvering on your ship as well btw.
Unless your gonna get out and push your ship? It's listed beneath armor in the OP but the 2 were clumped into 1 paragraph so you may have missed it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:16:06 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2014, 08:30:31 pm »

Shit, I had 30? Im gonna fix that now...

-Dang ninja of a GM-

-edit adressing things found while looking over IC thread again-
Also, to comment on the below quote, some nations still use lee enfields for their armies, china used crossbows in their police forces up into the 1950s (or was it 60s? It may have been 80s...), and thats governmental institutions. Hell, there are people out hunting with blackpower rifles modeled on ones dating from the 1800s.

Yep, but I am a bit confused at your point. OOC, I just like the themes. Revolvers are cool. Spacships are also cool. Putting them together must be double cool, right? I like shows like Trigun, Outlaw star, and Cowboy Bedop where people pull out ancient firearm to fight cyborgs in a shootout that would make John Wayn proud. I'm not even sure what a pulse rifle is, in comparison. So I wanted to make a game like that. If everyone thinks that using pulse rifles and plasma pistols would be more fun, then I will do that.

In character, pulse rifles are no doubt much more complicated than real modern weapons. The HR drive involves a complicated process to go faster than light, the first step of which is to remove all/most the mass from the ship. Objects have to be put into special containers to avoid destroying the ship as it jumps. When everything is "rematerialized", small machinery and complicated equipment is pretty much destroyed. You would have to, essentially, make massive amounts of repairs every time you went through jump to get it to function half normally. Really expensive repairs, too. Depending on what the pulse rifle is, it might not even exist in the setting as it is. Wikipedia says that there are essentially dozens of completely different weapons that the term "pulse rifle" has been used for. As realism was voted 8/10, many of the sillier/less realistic ones (such as direct energy or plasma weapons) where never developed in the setting as it currently is.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2014, 08:32:28 pm »

I'm going for a big ass magnum no matter what.
Caine's law.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2014, 08:58:02 pm »

I was thinking of pulse rifle as pulsed laser, and considering lasers have comparatively less moving parts than most firearms... And wouldn't have recoil (something which normally needs lots of moving parts to fix). The main factor prohibiting them at the moment is getting a small enough power source powerful enough so you can do enough damage beyond blinding sensors/perhaps burning things if in space (the soviets developed a laser pistol for that purpose), so it makes sense for a space-based combat force to have developed one.
As for pat's point about maneuvering, I think that was mostly talking about in combat, something I would not really be doing. otherwise, why have spaceship piloting as a skill(which I have points in)?

As for my point about the guns, weapons are normally used for a while after they are developed, albeit not always by the same groups.

Also, I agree that revolvers are cool, and that so are spaceships. My char is probally going to be picking up a revolver at some point anyways, since lasers are shit in an atmosphere.

Oh, I fixed the thing again... Sorry about the errors.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:02:40 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2014, 09:21:22 pm »

I was thinking of pulse rifle as pulsed laser, and considering lasers have comparatively less moving parts than most firearms... And wouldn't have recoil (something which normally needs lots of moving parts to fix). The main factor prohibiting them at the moment is getting a small enough power source powerful enough so you can do enough damage beyond blinding sensors/perhaps burning things if in space (the soviets developed a laser pistol for that purpose), so it makes sense for a space-based combat force to have developed one.

The HR drive messes with all small mechanisms, not just moving parts. It is just that on guns, the smaller parts tend to be moving ones. Things like screws and pins are generally fine, while more finicky things like microchip wires are irreversibly messed up by travel. I don't see any real recoil-absorbing parts on any of the revolver schematics I have, aside from just "general design".

The thing about laser weapons, especially hand held laser weapons, is that they will never really hold a candle to kinetic weapons for most purposes. For hand held guns like your pulse rifle, they are really bad at injuring humans. Humans are mostly made of water, which makes heat a pretty bad thing to try to kill them with, and even if it does manage to injure them it cauterizes the wound. In Real Life, bleeding to death is essentially the #1 death directly relating to combat (IE not diseases), which is almost impossible with laser weaponry. The fact that wikipedia tells me the Soviets invented a Laser Revolver is in itself cool, but that was never intended as an anti-personnel weapon. In the end, with all the technology it would take to get laser weapons even up to the standard of modern day weapons, kenetic weapons would be made even more efficient.

Even for space flights, kinetic weapons are still preferable. Considering how well metallic/ceramic armor would absorb the energy from lasers, it makes little since to use them when bullets will utterly mess it up.

Oh, I fixed the thing again... Sorry about the errors.

Its fine, I probably wouldn't have even noticed if it hadn't been pointed out  :-[.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2014, 09:23:05 pm »

I'm gonna scrap my ship come morning I have a better idea for it I think.
Caine's law.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2014, 09:27:41 pm »

I'm gonna scrap my ship come morning I have a better idea for it I think.

It is fine, I am probably not going to start until at least the people who showed interest in the interest check gets a chance to see it.

Also, I am an idiot for releasing this on New Years Day  :-[

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5