Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Final Frontier: Spaceships and Six Guns: Western RPG Interest Check and OOC  (Read 4806 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

They say space is the final frontier. Frontiers are filled with danger, from the outlaw after your purse to the bear after lunch to the cold winters after nothin' but your soul. Going by that definition, you are in a frontier alright. And with all the problems a frontier has, it will no doubt be final, for you at least...

Final Frontier! Is going to be a Space Western RPG in the most literal since, modeled after gems like "Cowboy Bedop" and "Outlaw Star", among other fine examples of the Western being brought to the Stars. Beyond that, I would like the potential players to help me outline what will happen! The only thing I can promise is that there will be guns. Lots of guns.

So I need feedback to go forward! Some general questions:

How "hard" should the science fiction be? Should it be realistic to a fault-so long as it doesn't hurt the story- or so soft that it might as well be magic (and might actually be magic, in some cases?). Of course, it ain't likely most characters will know everything about how everything works. You can run your car just fine, if somehow it turned out the engines where being turned over by goblins it would change nothing.

On a more important note-should this be a game of Lone Rangers, everyone getting their own posts and own stories, or should everyone work together in a party?

Should the play be realistic, or cinematic? This is, of course, completely different from the hardness of the sci-fi. More-cinematic games means dodging bullets left and right, blasting away with a huge revolver in each hand as the bad guys before you fall like rain, the occasional bullet scratching by you only to make you momentarily cringe before continuing your onslaught? Or should the game be more realistic- ducking from cover to cover occasionally popping out to pop the enemy, who reacts to the wound but doesn't immediately die, as his buddies try to tactically surround you while providing suppressive fire?

Should the game be a sandbox, exploring wherever your restless heart takes you, or linear with an over lining plot with a clear path you must walk to achieve it?

There are more questions-of course, but we should probably see if there is any interest in the game before I go any further. These arn't either or questions-they are more like a scale. If you want to, if you don't want to allaberate, you can rate what you want on a scale of 1 to 10. For example, if you want the world to be somewhat realistic science fiction but not hyper realstic, you might say you want it to be 7/10 with 10 being hard.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

Realistic / Sci-Fi:  13 8/10. Personally, I prefer "I hop into my cruiser and set a course to IB-X12" to "I climb into my shuttle seat and the technicians count down from ten as I check all the readings". But that's just me.

"I work alone." / Final Fantasy (Bay)12: 5/10. I play a lot of forum games where people are free to go off on their own, in a sense, and do what they'd like, but everyone has met/meets and tends to stay within that group when interacting socially/going on missions/eating lunch, to name a few examples.

ARMA Combat / Call of Duty Combat: 3/10. I.g., "Bob shoots at (enemy 1)!" "Bob hits (enemy 1) in the arm, the bullet crashing through (enemy 1)'s flesh and pinging against the far wall", with the accuracy of the shot, damage (or what have you) of the shot, and anything else like that calculated by yourself (or us, if you'd like) according to rules for such things.

The Elders Scrolls 23: Space / Pokemon Space Edition: 3/10. Most of the games I tend to play have had some sort of goal or story behind them (i.g. trying to go to school and learn to use magical abilities they all came across), but the players were free to do other things when there wasn't bad guys to punch out or the like.

Black lives matter.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile

Realistic / Sci-Fi:  13 8/10. Personally, I prefer "I hop into my cruiser and set a course to IB-X12" to "I climb into my shuttle seat and the technicians count down from ten as I check all the readings". But that's just me.

"I work alone." / Final Fantasy (Bay)12: 5/10. I play a lot of forum games where people are free to go off on their own, in a sense, and do what they'd like, but everyone has met/meets and tends to stay within that group when interacting socially/going on missions/eating lunch, to name a few examples.

ARMA Combat / Call of Duty Combat: 3/10. I.g., "Bob shoots at (enemy 1)!" "Bob hits (enemy 1) in the arm, the bullet crashing through (enemy 1)'s flesh and pinging against the far wall", with the accuracy of the shot, damage (or what have you) of the shot, and anything else like that calculated by yourself (or us, if you'd like) according to rules for such things.

The Elders Scrolls 23: Space / Pokemon Space Edition: 3/10. Most of the games I tend to play have had some sort of goal or story behind them (i.g. trying to go to school and learn to use magical abilities they all came across), but the players were free to do other things when there wasn't bad guys to punch out or the like.
+1
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile

+1
+1
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile

Midas Well, + 1

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

Alright, this seems pretty clear and pretty popular. I would have gotten to it earlier, but I have a great habit of sleeping until 3:00pm in the last few days, makes getting to things in a timely manner difficult -_-.

Any additional comments/questions while I think up the next wave of questions? Does everyone who posted so far want to play?

Actually, I thought of one to distract you as I update my other game!

Would you prefer near-Earth, as in in our solar system, with all the planets being settled by humans? Or would you prefer deep-space, exotic planets in far-off locations with the potential for alien life?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 06:00:19 pm by Stirk »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't think of a clever name for this side / Spore: Space Age: 10/10.
Black lives matter.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

Alright! Thought of more questions! These will likely be in list format, feel free to x/10 each of them rather than either/or.

What should the focus of this game be?
Ground combat?
Space Combat?
Ground exploration?
Space exploration?
Social interaction?
World building?
Other? I just put some ideas on the top of my head. The general idea of the question is what do you want to spend the time playing in this game doing?

How difficult do you want this game to be?

How detail-oriented to you want this to be? (Ex; Do you want to have to track hunger and thirst and such, or ignore food and water all together?)

And more to come.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Overall Focus: All of them. No, really.
With a larger focus on exploration and a smaller focus on world building. Again, just me.

Difficulty: Do you know Dark Souls? Not like Dark Souls.
I'd prefer a difficulty around every fight is a possible win or lose, but there are also some fights that are absolutely loses, 100%.

Detail: Sort of mid-level. Like, we need food and such, but it's more "I feel pretty hungry, so I eat a sandwich" than "I feel pretty hungry, so I eat a Zygortian Goat Cheese Sandwich (Restores 50 Hunger and 15 Thirst. Adds 10 to Bladder.) Quality: [###OOOOOOO])".
Black lives matter.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile

With a larger focus on exploration and a smaller focus on world building. Again, just me.

I'd prefer a difficulty around every fight is a possible win or lose, but there are also some fights that are absolutely loses, 100%.

Detail: Sort of mid-level. Like, we need food and such, but it's more "I feel pretty hungry, so I eat a sandwich" than "I feel pretty hungry, so I eat a Zygortian Goat Cheese Sandwich (Restores 50 Hunger and 15 Thirst. Adds 10 to Bladder.) Quality: [###OOOOOOO])".
+1, especially since I have no idea why a sandwich would fill one's bladder. Then again, it is Zygortian, and you never know with those tricky Zygortians...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Final Frontier: Spaceships and Six Guns: Western RPG Interest Check and OOC
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 10:01:37 pm »

Bladder as in The Sims' Bladder need, a.k.a. bathroom need.
Black lives matter.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 10:45:27 pm »

Hmmm. What do you mean by that? Do you mean like you don't want to be able to take down a tank with a .22 revolver, or that you want the bad guys to be able to roll you sometimes?

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 10:52:17 pm »

+1, especially since I have no idea why a sandwich would fill one's bladder. Then again, it is Zygortian, and you never know with those tricky Zygortians...
+1.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 11:00:12 pm »

Focus: (What ShadowHammer said)

Realism Level: Firefly.

Difficulty: Arma level
 (Which in my opinion is fairly brutal... And realistic enough)

Detail: DayZ level
 Food, drink, meds easily applied.
 Also, standalone levels, not mod levels...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 11:00:46 pm »

Hmmm. What do you mean by that? Do you mean like you don't want to be able to take down a tank with a .22 revolver, or that you want the bad guys to be able to roll you sometimes?
The second one.
Well, I mean, both that and the fact that there are some enemies (that may or may not exist, if you feel like it) that we just don't fight. I.e., galactic police forces, some sort of bandit league, the Big Bad, etc.
Black lives matter.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5