Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The gods have arrived!  (Read 5790 times)

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The gods have arrived!
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2008, 09:34:00 am »

Well hey Toady, if you want a nice resource for various religions (better than wikipedia, anyways) go to godchecker.com

They've got almost EVERYTHING.

Fenrir

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2008, 09:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keilden:
<STRONG>Oh holy carp. Just thougt if dwarfs will start declaring random objects as holy and if somthing happens to their holy object everyone will go tantrum.</STRONG>

Worse, your god tantrums!

TheSilverHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2008, 09:44:00 am »

I think it would be really cool if you could choose a god for your fort, and that religion might be more important to other civs then race is.   IE:  If you worship the same god as the goblins, they might like you (even trade), where as some Dwarf cities might hate you as a heretic.  It would be even more interesting that if your city was evil aligned and prospered that it would really boost other evil cities in the area, ie: goblin armies equipped with fine dwarven weapons and armor.

Regions can have a 'god influence' factor instead of just 'haunted' or 'calm'.  If the undead god has a strong hold then that might be what 'haunted' is now.   So when picking a fort location you have to take into consideration the deity influences (there can be more then one).   A strong fort of an opposing religion will lessen the opposing influence and improve the favorable one.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2008, 06:12:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Balathustrius:
<STRONG>

A world with demonstrable gods would probably be pretty short on atheists, and a world in which multiple gods made their presence known would probably be short on monotheists.  Right?

</STRONG>

You'd think that, right?

But I guess that would suggest that, in a world where no god made its presence explicity known, there wouldn't be any sort of religious presence.

Oops, did I just troll?

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2008, 06:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>
Worse, your god tantrums!</STRONG>

Or the local priest declare goblins to be holy right befor a invasion.

Arak Nazzhug Cancels Fight Goblin: Kneeling.

The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2008, 10:50:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tahin:
<STRONG>I'd like to see it where gods are nothing more than a belief system, and make no appearance. They may or may not exist, but some people believe in them and others don't.

EDIT/ADDITION: The only place where it would have any affect is in people's culture and philosophy. A being that believes he will go to heaven when he dies is more likely to fight and die valiantly than an atheist, for instance.

[ January 03, 2008: Message edited by: Tahin ]</STRONG>

There are several things I like about this.  A lot of games (especially roguelikes) treat gods and religion as just a source of spells and stat bonuses.  I would like to see the gods and their worship be an aspect woven into the cultures of the DF world.  What religions the dwarves or elves or ratmen or whatever should say something about their culture.

(Just so people know, I'm not an atheist.  Just saying so people know my biases incase something comes up later.)

myd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

Excellent! Maybe artifacts from your fortress will feature images of your deity and become the center of wars and worship. The possibilities are making me shiver in anticipation.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »

No matter how 'real' the gods turn out to be in DF, I think I'll be happy.  There aren't enough low-power games in the world, and all high-power games seem to do things in a different and interesting way.  The only real important bit is how the gods all interact, IMO, the game mechanics are kinda just frosting really.  Looking forwards to it!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2008, 09:11:00 am »

hmm, I wonder how we are going to construct the sacrificial altars now? I'm almost done on the one at my ice palace too, just gotta rig up the altar to drop victims into a small pit filled with blade traps  :D
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2008, 06:59:00 pm »

quote:
A being that believes he will go to heaven when he dies is more likely to fight and die valiantly than an atheist, for instance.

Right, because we all know that there are no atheists in foxholes  :roll:

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2008, 07:14:00 pm »

It'd be cool if you could engrave images of gods into items for diffrent effects based on the god and what he is the patron of. For example engraving the symbol of beer god onto a barrel will allow it to hold twice as much beer ? :P Engraving the god of protection onto a piece of armor could make it more protective ect.
"And call a dog a cow-that don't change the way the thing'll taste!" Bruenor Battlehammer

http://railickstonemane.wordpress.com/
http://stonemane.hostei.com/

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2008, 08:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tahin:
<STRONG>A being that believes he will go to heaven when he dies is more likely to fight and die valiantly than an atheist, for instance.
</STRONG>

I'm offended. As an atheist, I can quite truthfully say that there are quite a number of things I would be willing to die for.

ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2008, 10:36:00 pm »

Why can't anyone discuss religion in a computer game without people trying to fag it up with an anti/pro-religion flamewar?

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2008, 11:02:00 pm »

Because we can't have nice things.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2008, 11:12:00 am »

"Fag it up?"  Now I am really offended!

Kidding.  =)  Say, are there going to be gay dwarves at some point?

You have struck Microcline!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5