Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The gods have arrived!  (Read 5788 times)

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
Re: The gods have arrived!
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2008, 09:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>There are parent-child relationships, to avoid silly things like being a god of all animals... and fish.</STRONG>

On the other hand, a god of fish and carp would be perfectly reasonable since carps are clearly hell spawns and not fish.

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2008, 09:40:00 pm »

quote:
I look forward to when Dwarf Fortress is flexible enough to encompass atheism, monotheism, polytheism, and animism in all different cultures all coexisting at once.

A world with demonstrable gods would probably be pretty short on atheists, and a world in which multiple gods made their presence known would probably be short on monotheists.  Right?

If such heathens do exist, I hope the dwarves can sacrifice them.

You have struck Microcline!

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2008, 09:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Balathustrius:
<STRONG>A world with demonstrable gods would probably be pretty short on atheists, and a world in which multiple gods made their presence known would probably be short on monotheists.</STRONG>
They may still exist in some fashion, all it takes is creativity...

1. group declares their patron as the supreme god and all others as false or subordinate
2. group standing in defiance of the gods, beholden to none
3. etc.

Pretty sure I know a few posters here would be interested in #1..

[ January 02, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2008, 09:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zemat:
<STRONG>Hey Toady,

at least hardcode Armok into the game. Otherwise the game title will make no sense. You could turn Armok into some sort of father god who gave birth to the universe and all other gods just to see blood spilled. It would make for an interesting personality reversal of fantasy's typical Creator God who is all goodness and perfection.</STRONG>

I read somewhere on this site that Armok created an infinite number of worlds (hence the random world generation) each with their own sub-deities to watch over them. Or something like that. One of Three-Toe's stories or something. Then again, I may just be imagining this, but that's how I understand it.

Fenrir

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2008, 10:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tahin:
<STRONG>

I read somewhere on this site that Armok created an infinite number of worlds (hence the random world generation) each with their own sub-deities to watch over them. Or something like that. One of Three-Toe's stories or something. Then again, I may just be imagining this, but that's how I understand it.</STRONG>

True or not, I like it!

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2008, 10:02:00 pm »

I'm hoping for such elements to have as little hardcoding as possible... it would be more interesting to come across very different worlds than similar ones. One  where subjects toil under the tyrannical rule of the blood god, another (more primitive) dominated by various speaking animal/nature spirits, and so forth.

Same thing for races, cultures, settings, preferred climates, time, etc. Ideally these should be options in worldgen - set to DEFAULT, RANDOM, or (SPECIFIC).

My dwarves should not be identical to everyone's dwarves....

[ January 02, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2008, 12:20:00 am »

quote:
A world with demonstrable gods would probably be pretty short on atheists, and a world in which multiple gods made their presence known would probably be short on monotheists. Right?

I would think that the gods only have dominion where people believe in them. Therefore, gods would have little power where atheists dominate.

I generally believe that "gods" are created by people, rather than gods pre-existing and people coming to believe in them. Perhaps, though, Dwarf Fortress can have both pre-existing gods and those born in the hearts and minds of people.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2008, 12:25:00 am »

I'd like to see it where gods are nothing more than a belief system, and make no appearance. They may or may not exist, but some people believe in them and others don't.

EDIT/ADDITION: The only place where it would have any affect is in people's culture and philosophy. A being that believes he will go to heaven when he dies is more likely to fight and die valiantly than an atheist, for instance.

[ January 03, 2008: Message edited by: Tahin ]

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2008, 12:38:00 am »

See, all these could be possible selections for worldgen.

As mentioned in the magic thread, GURPS would be good inspiration for creating these varied realms.

[ January 03, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2008, 01:03:00 am »

Well, the athiest could in fact simply beleive that all the gods were in fact frauds, powerful magic users that claimed to be gods. The role world probably be filled by people who didn't worship anygods, though accepted their existance.
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2008, 01:44:00 am »

A few things have popped into my head after reading this thread for a bit.

"Necoho", the god of atheism (according to Warhammer40K mythos), is one of them.  Another would be the gods of "Black and White", wherein a god is born when the people pray for one.  

And, finally, will these gods actually have anything to do with fortress mode?  Will we be able to build shrines and conduct ceremonies and such?

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2008, 01:48:00 am »

Oh holy carp. Just thougt if dwarfs will start declaring random objects as holy and if somthing happens to their holy object everyone will go tantrum.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2008, 01:51:00 am »

Oh dear.  He's right.

Atheist fortresses will join nudist fortresses for efficiency and safety.  This game really is astonishingly realistic.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2008, 02:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tahin:
<STRONG>

I read somewhere on this site that Armok created an infinite number of worlds (hence the random world generation) each with their own sub-deities to watch over them. Or something like that. One of Three-Toe's stories or something. Then again, I may just be imagining this, but that's how I understand it.</STRONG>

I think that was a post I made in the "Planes" thread.   It wasn't very thought out, but it kinda works as an 'overarching' thing without actually effecting in-world things.   It also gives Armok a firm place in the cosmology of the game.   I'm glad people seem to like it, though.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2008, 09:10:00 am »

A good system to make religion actualy do something more beneficial then setting alot of "kill on sight" flags for foreigners would be to give each civ it's own pantheon, possibly sharing it with a few others. Each pantheon contains several deities. Each deity has a sacred object related to it's specialty(for the god of farming this could be a millstone), a sacred day(for the above god of farming, this could be 1st day of spring), a blessing it can give if you worship it enough(randomly adding a beneficial tag or removing a negative tag to something relevant, our god of farming could make wild strawberries grow underground) and a curse if you don't worship it enough(tampering with the soil quality in your farms for example)

At the start, your fortress only worships the general pantheon and it's generic atributes(mostly related to the upper deity).
-You can keep it that way to maintain friendly relations to everybody but no specific benefits(jack of all trades, master of none)
-You can go atheist, stepping on alot of divine and priestly toes but gaining full independance otherwise.
-Specialize in a cult of a specific deity, gaining the bonus of that god but also the disadvantages.

Once more detailed politics are in, these could all have additional effects(worshipping Frillypaddles, goddess of forestfires won't make you alot of elven friends) but for mow i eagerly await the Army Arc.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5