Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The gods have arrived!  (Read 5793 times)

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
Re: The gods have arrived!
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »

Hey Toady,

at least hardcode Armok into the game. Otherwise the game title will make no sense. You could turn Armok into some sort of father god who gave birth to the universe and all other gods just to see blood spilled. It would make for an interesting personality reversal of fantasy's typical Creator God who is all goodness and perfection.

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zemat:
<STRONG>Hey Toady,

at least hardcode Armok into the game. Otherwise the game title will make no sense. You could turn Armok into some sort of father god who gave birth to the universe and all other gods just to see blood spilled. It would make for an interesting personality reversal of fantasy's typical Creator God who is all goodness and perfection.</STRONG>

Hardcode? Neveeer!!! But Armok really must be included...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 04:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheSilverHammer:
<STRONG>What will the gods do?  Will they have an active role in dwarven society, as in make a real difference or will the be an empty religion where worship doesn't grant any special favors?</STRONG>

If you'd read, he says there's a lot that religion can do in the future, but for now he's leaving it very basic, with perhaps minimal or no effect.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 05:30:00 pm »

He he, yeah, salt was kind of a particular one...  I went through wikipedia and added a sphere for any god in any pantheon they had in their lists, then I added a few additional ones that are fairly commonplace but didn't come up.  There were also things like gods of the "winter sun" and particular circumstance (like leaving the home for the first time) that I didn't add.  I also didn't include gods of particular plants/animals/booze and so on, since that info is in the raws.  Later on, it'll have to dip into the raws and create custom spheres from that.

As far as raws/modding goes, right now they are all purely randomly generated, and the spheres aren't really raw-worthy (like the personality traits, most of them correspond to more or less universal concepts), though custom spheres of some kind might be a possibility later.  Modding in specific deities is more along the lings of the Editors arc when you'd be able to add specific historical figures/items/etc. of any kind, and that's not going to happen for a while.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 06:01:00 pm »

Me (Armok):

DEITY:
blood
irony
knowledge
experiments
cruelty
arrogance
creation

(based of myself)
(THIS POST IS RP)

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

I look forward to when Dwarf Fortress is flexible enough to encompass atheism, monotheism, polytheism, and animism in all different cultures all coexisting at once.

I also look forward to when random objects are sacred, like drums and anvils, or even floodgates. It would be stunning to see animals being declared sacred and rocks being worshipped.

Unib Gotunk, god of darkness and carp, blesses the carp with magical breathing!
"Good hunting."

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 06:52:00 pm »

Armok your posts are always perfectly RP  :)

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>Me (Armok):

DEITY:
blood
irony
knowledge
experiments
cruelty
arrogance
creation

(based of myself)
(THIS POST IS RP)</STRONG>

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 08:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>As far as raws/modding goes, right now they are all purely randomly generated, and the spheres aren't really raw-worthy (like the personality traits, most of them correspond to more or less universal concepts), though custom spheres of some kind might be a possibility later.  Modding in specific deities is more along the lings of the Editors arc when you'd be able to add specific historical figures/items/etc. of any kind, and that's not going to happen for a while.</STRONG>

What about linking the concepts to each other, so that, for instance, a sun god is more likely to also be a god of farming than a god of smithing? To keep the complexity of the raw from ballooning geometrically, you could divide them into a couple dozen or so families, and have the families cross-linked with affinities and... uh... anti-affinities.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Leerok the Lacerta:
<STRONG>I look forward to when Dwarf Fortress is flexible enough to encompass atheism, monotheism, polytheism, and animism in all different cultures all coexisting at once.
</STRONG>

What about mono-polytheism, where several gods are somehow also one god?

ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 08:22:00 pm »

There are links now, hard-coded at this point.  That's "defined sphere relationships" from the dev logs.  You can see in the pantheons I posted that this is happening with some of them.  There are parent-child relationships, to avoid silly things like being a god of all animals... and fish.  There are also spheres that block each other, though I tried to keep that to a minimum so that interesting combinations would arise.  There are also spheres that go together, so that it'll be more likely to pick one after another.  Each god gets one branch, where it'll sometimes choose a sphere, then sphere that goes with it, then a sphere that goes with the second one, stopping either half the time or if it can't go any further.  20% of the time, a god gets two branches.  This led to the god that governed "light + day" but also "murder" on the posted lists.

And yeah, I don't plan to stick with this particular brand of polytheism exclusively, but it's a good and standard starting point.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2008, 08:42:00 pm »

quote:
What about mono-polytheism, where several gods are somehow also one god?

In what religion does that occur?

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2008, 08:45:00 pm »

In what religion does that MAKE SENSE you mean... >_>
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2008, 08:47:00 pm »

Hinduism.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2008, 09:15:00 pm »

What was the name of that one belief that many of the religions are worshiping the same god under different guises?

[ January 02, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2008, 09:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Leerok the Lacerta:
<STRONG>

In what religion does that occur?</STRONG>

Some forms of Christianity (Father, Son, Holy Ghost)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5