Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bone weapons and civ use?  (Read 1205 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Bone weapons and civ use?
« on: December 21, 2014, 12:53:03 pm »

I'm wondering how I could make a civ use bone weaponry and armour. I did some testing in arena mode, using dfhack's changeitem, and bone cutting weapons come up better than obsidian and wood, but worse than copper. How would I get a civ to make, wield, and widely use bone and obsidian weaponry? And leather and bone armour?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Bone weapons and civ use?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 01:01:06 pm »

Your own civ members can be assigend bone armor and weapons by using "use specific item" in the military:equipment screen, and you pick out the item one by one.

Other civs, allies and invaders, will never use bone weapons or armor.

You can make a metal which has all the properties of bone, call it "bone", and they will use it, if you give them a free reaction to produce it. It wouldnt naturally occur in the world, but traders and invaders would arrive with "bone" items.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 01:03:27 pm »

I guess I'll have to work on replicating bone as a metal then.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 03:53:41 am »

Your own civ members can be assigend bone armor and weapons by using "use specific item" in the military:equipment screen, and you pick out the item one by one.

Other civs, allies and invaders, will never use bone weapons or armor.

You can make a metal which has all the properties of bone, call it "bone", and they will use it, if you give them a free reaction to produce it. It wouldnt naturally occur in the world, but traders and invaders would arrive with "bone" items.

Well, that all is true only if you dont use scripts, mat_type/mat_index pairs of bone materials may be assigned to entity resource lists, thus making them think bone is their armor material, so they will spawn with bone armor (and presumably trade that armor too), I only did short test of this in 34.11, but that worked, siegers came in with bone armor on them (i was using dwarf bone for goblins, you can use whatever you wish and assign any mats to armor list)
Marital status manipulator
Custom item descriprions
Natural Balance Mod (2013-2015) development suspended...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 05:39:52 am »

Nice, could you point me to the script you use?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 12:02:13 pm »

Oh, and can you show me how to make that script run? I don't quite understand Dfhack enough to do stuff like that.

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 11:17:37 pm »

Nice, could you point me to the script you use?

I did it manually using gm-editor, the data for melee weapons stored in df.global.world.entities.all.<entity ID>.resources.metal.weapon
there are pairs of mat_type and mat_index values, which encode the materials. Its not hard to make a script to add bones to weapon mats to all EVIL civs (i think best run it with SC_WORLD_LOADED event

Well i added random material of my modded dwarf :) that could be bone or whatever you wish.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:22:35 pm by Raidau »
Custom item descriprions

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 11:21:31 pm »

-
Custom item descriprions