Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: lazy doctors... i should sue them!!! (jk)  (Read 1608 times)

justicarab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
lazy doctors... i should sue them!!! (jk)
« on: December 20, 2014, 05:52:20 pm »

so i have 3 injured dwarfs, all of them with something "torn apart and infected" (foot toe and/digit) and a smashed infected foot sounds like a serious thing, especially when few of them are military.... i have a hospital with thread/cloth, buckets, splints and soap. is it something i'm missing?
This forum is the most helpful and polite i have ever seen. always happy to help my many post and to you all i say thank you so much for making me feel welcomed!

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: lazy doctors... i should sue them!!! (jk)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 07:14:16 pm »

Are the dwarves in the hospital, or are they still staggering about your fortress?

justicarab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 07:53:37 pm »

the hospital is empty and a few of them are training
This forum is the most helpful and polite i have ever seen. always happy to help my many post and to you all i say thank you so much for making me feel welcomed!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 08:16:25 pm »

Well then it was their own fault.

Urist: No!!!! I won't go to see the doctor! I need no doctor!!!
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

justicarab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 08:22:19 pm »

haha, so even though dwarf therapist is saying it's infected and smashed, they're ok? or is this a...

"save me from the stubbornness of dwaves"-gandalf.. moment

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 08:32:35 pm »

I don't know. It seems infected dwarves usually don't need treatements (no antibiotics?).
But a rotten dwarf(usually has a fever) can be treated as far as I can tell, the surgeon will cut the rotten tissues (can be dangerous since the dorf loses a lot of blood).

A full hospital set includes: thread, cloth(?), soap, splint, plaster powder, traction bench, bed and bag.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Health_care#Equipment

Well actually I only saw traction bench in use for one time, and I never saw how they apply a cast.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 08:36:15 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 08:46:27 pm »

If a dwarf doesn't start the rest task, usually they won't ever. There are ways to knock them out and force it, though. Consider a cave in.

justicarab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 09:21:26 pm »

well they have had the infection tag for months, maybe year+ on dwarf therapist....

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 09:27:30 pm »

If only 1 or 2 wounds is infected, it usually won't kill a dwarf. Each infected wound causes effectively blood loss, so it will make your dwarves more vulnerable to dying of that, I think.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 10:45:52 pm »

I didn't know til recently that water quality can cause infections :| Apparently they need to get water from a tile that doesn't have a muddy bottom (which means just make your main hospital water area 2-z deep, then they'll get water off the top tile, which has no floor)..

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 11:12:28 pm »

It helps to have a many z-level deep well, but if they're not going near the hospital, the wound won't be washed. The best way to cure infection is soap, though, not just water.

If they really won't go to hospital, you could arrange a nonfatal "accident" for them to be re-injured. Then while they're in hospital, both injuries will be treated, not just the new one. Some of them will go in to the hospital for the slightest injuries, others will refuse the hospital even though they have only three limbs instead of the four they were born with. It all depends on their temperament, I think.

Trivia: Dwarf Therapist is not necessary to see the injuries they are carrying around. I play vanilla, and can still see if a dwarf has a broken toe or an infected wound.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

justicarab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 12:34:59 pm »

the injury is over 2 years old lol (by checking dwarf, not therapist, thank you for advice). so is the infection permanent?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 01:05:57 pm »

Infections can last for years, but I believe I've seen occasional cases where it is healed spontaneously. As far as I know, doctors don't heal infections (but rather, wounds can get infected while the doctors tour around the golf courses rather than treating the patients).

justicarab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 01:15:11 pm »

so what am i to do about all these smashed toes and fingers?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 02:24:05 pm »

Infections function gameplay-wise basically as a very slowly bleeding wound. Healthy enough dwarves will be able to replace their blood fast enough to counter it and suffer no ill effects (except maybe a slight ability to bleed out easier from future wounds), while less healthy ones (or ones with bigger wounds) will eventually become faint and pale and then "succumb to infection". If the wounds are that old than they shouldn't be having any ill effects on your dwarves, so I'd just ignore them.

And yeah, the only way for infections to heal is naturally.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2