Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fighting off the Circus  (Read 4781 times)

Conradine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fighting off the Circus
« on: December 20, 2014, 02:52:56 pm »

I've turned all the 52 dwarves of my hamlet in militia, to solve clothes replacing problems. After 9 years most of them reached Legendary level in Discipline and Proficient to Expert in most fighting skills. A full squad ( 9 + commander ) of them are full time professional Axelords. I mined much Ematite and Marble, made a lot of steel and used the melting trick to get even more. My militia have chain leggings, high boots, gaunlets, shields and battle axes at Masterpiece, helms and chain shirts at slightly lower level. Their militia commander is my retired adventurer, demigod, Superdwarven in all fighting attributes. I never tried to mine adamantium and fight demons before.
What do you think, are my soldiers a challenge for Hell?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:07:27 am by Conradine »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting off Hell's armies
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 02:56:57 pm »

Yes and no.  Your military won't be more ready, but they might still crumble to disease or fire brought by the demons. There are a lot of demons, each the size of FB so you have to make certain you take them on your own turns, where you can pile on each one, rather than letting them outnumber you.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Conradine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 03:17:23 pm »

I've read they are trap proof, but upright spikes activated by lever should still do the trick. What about a 10 tiles tunnel with 100 menacing steel spikes?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 03:30:05 pm »

Make the mechanisms out of steel to make sure the spikes survive. I would also say that how ready your Fort is also depends on how wealthy it is. The wealthier you are the more clowns you'll get.
At any rate I've got 150 soldiers wearing masterwork steel and adamantine with combat skills all in the legendary range and I still don't want to touch the bastards in a fair fight. They're all almost as big as FB's (making them far larger than Dwarves, rendering blunt weapons useless and giving them a clear advantage) are all fliers (meaning if  they ever reach the surface or open rooms you're in for a struggle) have a host of webbers, syndrome slingers and firebreathers (shields are mandatory) and pray you never get a metal clown. One of my greatest Fort downfalls happened when my all-legendary army fought and killed every almost single last one of them... All except one metal scorpion which tore through my Dwarves's ranks like a steel axe through paper.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 03:39:51 pm »

Sounds like fun. Do it OP.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 03:59:56 pm »

Survival depends entirely on what kind of clowns the procedural generation has whipped up in your world. Well trained warriors will have a good chance against anything that can be hurt with weapons, if they can get a chance to use their talents.

In a recent fort I had a go with pure military might, without any traps or other supporting equipment. I had over hundred warriors ready, trained since early childhood and equipped with the best adamantine and steel gear the fort could produce. They were as ready as they could be. So I opened a tunnel leading directly from hell to fort's meeting hall and had the warriors meet the demons at the half way point.

They won, but two thirds of them died in the process. Most of the demons didn't give much trouble but one type slung fireballs and had fire breath AND deadly dust, all at once. They were simply impossible to get near and were responsible for most of the soldier deaths. In the end my few remaining marksdwarves were the ones who saved the day after most of the legendary weapon lords had been wiped out by fire or paralyzing syndrome.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Conradine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 06:41:36 pm »

Mmmmmh...

I read somewere about a "fountain of vampireness" project. What about vampire supersoldiers vs demon? Vampire are immune to sindromes right?

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 08:02:57 pm »

I only managed it via a massive spearspike array, it sounds like you are doing the honorable thing. Soldiers CAN kill them in close quarters, the one time I succeeded I had a civillian actually dig a demons brains out with a scratch before he died. They don't need any internal organs except their brain and heart, anything else is pointless. Chopping bits off is a more surefire bet and in the latest versions crushing and smashing would also work. Remember that no matter how good your soldiers are if they get hit even once they become basically useless, while your enemy cannot feel pain and can kill with any limb they please.

When you make the mistake of doing this, make sure you give us the story here after! I'm rooting for you!
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 08:12:48 pm »

If the demon has a dust attack, you melee dwarves are likely to die. Otherwise, a demon are as strong as a well equipped legendary dorf. It is luck that rules. Dodging is as important as fighting, because a demon can 1-hit a legendary fighter.

For some reason, melee duel in DF usually(90%) ends up in one side beheading the other. I saw two battles had completely different results.

1) I sent a squad to finish off a half-dead demon. I thought they could kill it without a problem, but unfortunately the demon killed five of them, include two legendary dorfs, before it was beheaded by another dorf. The demon simply snatched their head off.

2) Two legendary dorfs fought three demons(no dust nor breath attack). I sent a squad to kill three demons who broke into my basement. Two of them ran faster and reached the targets before others. I was busy at that time so when I saw the problem, the two dorfs were already dead, but not before they dragged two demons with them.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 09:00:25 pm »

If you want to improve further you can give them greaves rather than leggings and give them breastplates in addition to their chainmail. I think they can even wear three chainmail shirts and one breastplate total if you want to really armor them up. It will be quite heavy though so they'll probably need legendary armor user. I've also heard that normally at least a small amount of the adamantine is safe to mine, the very top of it. So maybe mine a bit of it to give your best soldiers adamantine weapons.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 09:42:37 pm »

Dwarf Fortress only has one spoiler, and this is it. It's generally considered impolite to spoil the existence of hell for new players. After all, hell is best experienced first hand. Please consider changing the title! A better title might have been Fighting off [spoilers].
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 09:53:01 pm by Taffer »

Conradine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting off the Circus
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 12:09:37 am »

Done. Changed the title. Sorry!

Greaves are good but they give only 90% when melted, I made leggings because I could melt and reforge them again and again until I got them all Masterpiece and gaining steel in the process.

I'll give you the story when I'll be done with this!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 05:28:36 am »

Good luck Conradine!

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 06:06:51 am »

I'd advise you to release any and all captured enemies on them to thin down their ranks. Also, all pets. A normal amount of pets is capable of killing at least a few demons. Otherwise, good luck!
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Brunste

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 10:44:25 am »

I'd advise you to release any and all captured enemies on them to thin down their ranks. Also, all pets. A normal amount of pets is capable of killing at least a few demons. Otherwise, good luck!
In addition to this, build a long hallway with many drawbridges sealing off rooms. Connect those rooms to your trade depot and funnel year after year of elf merchants and warriors until all the rooms are full. After your slave army is gathered, open hell and the doors at the same time.

I am 100% confident that this plan will work in your favor, at least in the sense that you'll end the lives of many elves.
Pages: [1] 2