Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: (ISG) Goofy Rougelike III: Centaur Bowcaster  (Read 8493 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
(ISG) Goofy Rougelike III: Centaur Bowcaster
« on: December 20, 2014, 02:35:09 am »

What the hell is this?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What are the rules?

Aaaaaand without further ado, the intro to the game!

---

You are a Centaur, a fey creature with the upperbody and wit of a man, and lower body of a noble steed. Like most of your kind, you are a skilled shot with the bow, and unlike most of your kind you have trained yourself to use awesome magic in support of your Archery.

You have sworn fealty to Lady Charmy Flutterlashes, a Pixie of high birth, and possess the honor of being her champion. The job is easy enough, Lady Flutterlashes has some fame and fortune to her name, but seeing as the best (and only) knight she can attract is a level three Centaur such as yourself, she lacks the military and political influence that would make her a target. On most days your job consists of little more than patrolling the grounds, keeping her suitors from killing each other in duels, and throwing your mistress' one-night-stands off the property come morning.

Sadly, your life has recently been complicated by the disappearance Fuzzylumps, Lady Flutterlashes pet tiger. Since it vanished a month and a half ago, your mistress has been grieving deeply, and taking said grief out on you and the rest of her staff! As if to further ruin your happiness, as soon as Lady Flutterlashes began to calm down and ponder the purchase of a new pet, a letter arrived. A letter that will in all likelihood get you killed.

---

M'Lady,

I have acquired your pet tiger. She is being cared for, but if you ever wish to see her again, you will travel to my home, Castle Skullthorn deep in the black marshes, and become my fairy trophy wife. I look forward to your arrival and your agreement to my terms.

-Shogun Ryu Fisher

---

Your mistress, of course, has no intention of marrying this bothersome human, and has instead issued you a Suicidal Quest: travel to the human lands, brave the dreaded black marshes, assault Castle Skullthron, rescue Fuzzylumps, and carry out Fey Justice, (otherwise known as a cruel trick), against his captor! As an act of her generosity and rationality, your mistress gives you a full day to prepare for this journey!

You Begin Making your Preparations:

As you don't expect to make it back alive, the first thing you do is put together a quick will. You have few valuables that you will not be taking on the adventure with you, and fewer family members that you would leave such things to, so the entire process only takes you about 10 minutes. With what name do you sign the document?

Next you pay a visit to Lady Flutterlashes, who has kindly offered you a few items from her collection to help you on your way. Your mistress kindly bestows upon you an enchanted item for her collection, and allows you to borrow a single spellbook from the caster's wing of the manor library, which nobody but you ever visits anyway!

Choose a book, nerd:

Accept one of these Boons, you entitled loser:

Loading your new gear into your convienient Saddle Bags, you look at the clock and note that it is not even late morning. You still have plenty of day left to prepare, yet no obvious preparations left to make; You have already a bow, quiver, arrows, several enchanted arrows, and rations for the road. You could get a tent, but all resting tends to happen inside of Inns in this sort of game.

You got time to kill, what now?:

At long last the day ends and night does pass. A small procession of people from your mistresses' manor see you off on your madcap adventure! A quarter mile from home, you reach the first crossroads, and must make the first major decision of your Journey: the route you will take. There are four dungeons that you could pass through on your way to the human lands. Two of these dungeons lead east. Once you clear the lands of the Fey and Goblin people, the east route will take you mostly through frozen wilderness and small settlements. The other two dungeons are part of a southern route to the black marshes, which crosses many miles of land belonging to the demons, humans, and orcs, all of whom tend to be rather dangerous and warlike people.

Choose your first Dungeon, and try not to die there!

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) Goofy Rougelike III: Centaur Bowcaster
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 11:59:53 am »

Shameless bump so the daytime people can see this!

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 05:03:36 pm »

The name on the paper reads Sir Robert Hoovington.

We should take Flocking Fletchery to better save whatever earnings we accumulate over our journey and not have to buy arrows after every dungeon.

We should take the Ring of Cover as our boon to better show our undeniable superiority to those puny and disgusting bipedal archers.

We should spend our last day before departure trying to convince another staff member to join us on our journey and get away from Lady Charmy Flutterlashes.

We should head for Gumdrop Plains first. They should be easy to beat and if memory serves, most fey creatures love sugary sweets and I doubt centaurs are the exception.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 05:40:22 pm »

We should take Flocking Fletchery to better save whatever earnings we accumulate over our journey and not have to buy arrows after every dungeon.

We should take the Ring of Cover as our boon to better show our undeniable superiority to those puny and disgusting bipedal archers.

We should spend our last day before departure trying to convince another staff member to join us on our journey and get away from Lady Charmy Flutterlashes.

We should head for Gumdrop Plains first. They should be easy to beat and if memory serves, most fey creatures love sugary sweets and I doubt centaurs are the exception.
+1

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 06:29:29 pm »

Haha oh yes. My time to monopolize mechanical benefits with MS Paint drawings has returned!

I am so torn between please no and please yes for this one.

Ideally I think I'd want a somewhat grim name and a somewhat completely silly name, like Maugrim Pranceloaf or Bubbles Bloodhoof.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 06:39:33 pm »

Bubbles Bloodhoof.
While that is a very good name, I still prefer a first name that can be shortened if he does something that annoys us. Calling an esteemed knight Bob or Bobby should really get under his skin should the need arise.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 06:46:32 pm by nuclearwhale »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 07:22:23 pm »

Bubbles Bloodhoof.
While that is a very good name, I still prefer a first name that can be shortened if he does something that annoys us. Calling an esteemed knight Bob or Bobby should really get under his skin should the need arise.

Bubbles can clearly be shortened to Bub. My support is behind Bubbles Bloodhoof.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 09:33:53 pm »

In that vein of thought, I'd prefer Ser Flexington Slaughterhoof.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 09:44:41 pm »

In that vein of thought, I'd prefer Ser Flexington Slaughterhoof.

+1

Get -Flocking Fletchery

Get -Steel Barding

Do -You spend the day begging your mistress to grant you a second boon

Get -The Ring of Cover grants great protection against opponents thinking they can out-shoot you

Go to -The Forgotten City

Reason -Bonus AC and Cover will make us more survivable, (Is a Roguelike, duh.) The Transmutation book will give us great versatility with otherwise useless junk, and the Forgotten city is filled with "crazed hermits, (Who are likely unable to stratergize, but might have loot) bandits, (Who likely have loot) and aggressive ancient automatons (Who are made of Loot)"
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 09:46:19 pm by Shadestyle »
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Nunzillor

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 09:52:53 pm »

I quite like the name Bubbles Bloodhoof.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 10:09:48 pm »

I quite like the name Bubbles Bloodhoof.
I am OK with any name, so long as we munchkin the heck out of the starting gear.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 04:23:14 am »

Prelude: Unwarm Welcome

Turn 1

Hey guys. I'm weirdsound. I'll be your GM, or DM, or whatever you call it. Its basically my job force the characters to follow your demands, and to choose what consequences. And holy shit, I'm still huge. I still have not fixed that from the first game.

...Usually I'm a bit more of a control freak and like to personally stick my nose into things, but I feel a bit weird using these old pictures from summer 2013. I'll have nuclearwhale help me take some new ones later, but he is asleep now, so I guess I'll step aside for this turn and utilize more traditional narrative techniques until I get this fixed.

"I must rejoice and be merry, for the murderous GM hath turned his back upon me, leaving me free to act in a fey manner, and frolic until his return."

...said the hapless centaur, unaware of the fact that although the GM has erected a tiny and temporary fourth wall to hide behind, that he still intended to run this game in the typical evil fashion. The quest was still on.

"Curses! But a silver lining lines this dark cloud! Your continue presence means that I will surely be receiving the items that the players have voted upon, no?"

...assumed the Centaur correctly. The first gift he received from the players was a simple one, a name. Several were considered, but in the end the GM chose the moniker Sir Bubbles Bloodhoof for his hero, because he liked it the best. Next came the material goods, and as nuclearwhale was the only poster to receive an explicit '+1', his suggestion became reality. Sir Bubbles received the book Flocking Fletchery and a ring of cover from his mistress!

"Huzzah! I bask in the glory of your generosity m'lady, and will exault your kindness until my inevitable death in your service!"

---

"...m'lady?"

Sir Bubbles wondered why his mistress was so quiet. What he couldn't know was that the GM decided that she was not important enough to make a pog for. Should this game last long enough for the Knight to complete his quest and return victorious, said game master plans to have Lady Flutterlashes killed or kidnapped to introduce further conflict anyway.

"Ah. I see. While that is most regrettable, I know in my heart of hearts that I will surely be able to save and/or avenge my mistress when the appointed time arrives. I also know in my heart of hearts that the GM can't get out of producing a pog for the ally the atomic sea-beast hath prescribed me."

Sir Bubbles was correct...

"...........Hi."

"Oh sour misfortune! Am I to be stuck traveling with this useless serving wench?"

Indeed Sir Bubbles was to be stuck with the servant. Out of Lady Flutterlashes's entire staff, only the Handmaiden Tulipsparkles Shyone agreed to travel with the valiant knight. This sheltered pixie posessed little training or experience outside of drawing baths for Lady Flutterlashes, and hand feeding said lady grapes, one tiny fruit at a time. Even Tulipsparkles weapon, a particular fine smelling baton, seemed like something that would be useless on the field of battle. Perhaps Sir Bubbles could find her some gear, a proper class, and teach her to defend herself in this cruel world, but it was far more likely that her function on the upcoming adventure would be that of a short lived meat-shield.

"Humph, I hope the players do not force me into using a lady for such imoral purposes. That would be just wrong. But I do digress; That is everything, is it not? Shall we proceed onward to the Gumdrop Plains?"

"...um .........yeah ....Lets travel."

And so travel the party did, until they reached the trippy and psychodellic magical barrier between the lands of the proper fey and the Gumdrop Plains. Inside this boundry they happened upon a trio of gentlemen baked of the finest gingerbread...

"Halt! By the power vested in us by the second floor dungeon boss Peanut Butter Deecup, we must politely inform you that ugly and ravenous fey creatures such as yourselves are forbidden from entering our sacred and delicious homeland."

"I see. Then speaking with the authority of my title of Champion to Lady Charmy Flutterlashes, I must declare that we shall pass, and that furthermore you sirs are cads and scoundrels!"

"Your words cut deep and your intentions are truly vile. I DEMAND SATISFACTION!"

"I invite you then, fools, to slay me if you are able!"

".........yikes."

And thus the first battle of the third goofy Rougelike campaign began, and the GM did then remind his players to consult the link and spoilers below for relevant information on the battle. Said game master did then also reminded his players that no fourth wall seperates their posts from the eyes and ears of the party.

Party Information and Bestiary:

Battlemap:

Town/Dungeon Map:

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 07:42:36 am »

Gingerbread men! Have you considered that the Earth is often called Gaia (a female name) or Mother Earth?! This means that every time you use your weapons through her air, you are attacking not only a woman but a mother!

FOR SHAME, GINGERBREAD MEN! HAVE YOU NO HONOR?!

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 07:55:05 am »

FOR SHAME INDEED!
And how could you ever think of battling in such a mishmash of colours! I demand we battle on an even grassy plain, to truly show each other our strength!
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 08:32:51 am »

Violent Insistence on Manners: When a character or player says something offensive or obscene, a Gingerbread Gentleman gains a +1 Damage bonus to his next successful attack. The bonuses granted by this ability can stack.
IronyOwl cancels Things: Sputtering in horror.

Okay, so:

Quote from: Gingerbread
7 HP
13 AC
Melee Attack (Rock Candy Rapier): +6 Attack Bonus, 1d6+2 Damage (+1 Att, 1d6+2 vs Tulipsparkles)
Ranged Attack (Marshmallow Dueling Pistol): +2 Attack Bonus, 1d2+1 Damage (+3 Att, 1d2+2 vs Bubbles; -3 Att, 1d2+1 vs Tulipsparkles
Quote from: Bubbles
17 HP
5 AC
Melee Attack (Hooves and Legs): +2 Attack Bonus, 1d4+2 Damage (+2 Att, 1d4+5 when moving at least 5 tiles)
Ranged Attack (Elderwood Longbow): +5 Attack Bonus, 2d4+2 damage
Quote from: Tulipsparkles
4 HP
11 AC
Melee Attack (Fragrance Baton): +1 Attack Bonus, 1d2+1 Damage (10% chance to heal instead, 10% chance to apply unknown buff/debuff)

So essentially:

Bubbles has a 60% chance to hit a Gingerbread Gentleman at range, and a 5/8ths chance of one-shotting one if he does. He's guaranteed to two-shot if he fails to one-shot, which all boils down to requiring (I think) needing a little over 2 turns for each one on average.

The Gingerbread Gentlemen, meanwhile, have a 100% chance to hit Bubbles in melee, or 95% if 1s always miss, and deal just a little over a third of his health on average when they do hit. So they need three turns to kill him, statistically. They're considerably less dangerous at range: they still have a 90% chance to hit, but do a mere ~1/7th of his health when they do.

Tulipsparkles' attacks are probably not worth mentioning unless Bubbles manages to nick one down to 2 or 3 HP. Which is I guess likely, so: She has a 45% chance to hit and deals a little over 1/3 of their health on a hit, which actually makes her not a bad executioner, as she has nearly a coinflip's chance of finishing off anything Bubbles didn't roll abysmally low for, and a literal coinflip's chance of anything he did.

Unfortunately, she's still squishy. Reluctant as they are to blemish her fair frame with repeated stabbings, they've still got a 55% chance to hit her in melee, followed by a 1/3 chance to one-shot her and a guaranteed 2-shot. Actually, that still means they need a little less than 3 turns to kill her on average, so she's nearly as tanky as Bubbles statistically; however, she's also much, much swingier. Bubbles can't be one-shot under any circumstances; Tulipsparkles can be one-shot rather easily if she gets hit in the first place.

TL;DR: Everyone is made of tissue paper. Keep Bubbles out of melee at all costs, and ideally out of pistol range for as many targets as possible. Tulipsparkles is a lot harder to kill than 4 HP implies, but will still die instantly on a bad roll, so we should only use her to finish off wounded targets if we really have to.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5