Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: (ISG) Goofy Rougelike III: Centaur Bowcaster  (Read 8494 times)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) Goofy Rougelike III: Centaur Bowcaster
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 08:44:08 am »

Hang on, I want to make sure here, a characters AC is deducted from an attackers attack roll, right? And is the attack roll different from the damage roll?
Edit: in that case, we actually have good chance to dodge any ranged attack, as we get 12+ AC from our ring of Cover, giving us 17 AC in ranged combat altogether.
So in that case we only have a 30% chance of getting shot, requiring a 15 to Nat 20 for us to even get hit, so ranged combat is really where Bubbles can shine, as you said, even if it does hit, at max 4 damage, which is 25.25% of our health while at minimum, we get 3, which is about 20.66666Rep.

Speaking of, are you sure you haven't got that gingerbread Marshmellow pistol attack bonus against bubbles wrong? The bonus Our gingerbread guardian got was only a 1+ on a successful damage roll, so we would still be getting a 2+ on their attack bonus.
Ninja Edit: Ah, I see, forgot about the gingerbread guardians other power.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:03:28 am by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 11:40:56 am »

How could you ever think of battling in such a mishmash of colours! I demand we battle on an even grassy plain, to truly show each other our strength!

"You raise a good point, good sir, but alas, the purpose of this battle is to keep these foul predators away from our even frosted plains. Letting them in just to fight would defeat the purpose!"

Gingerbread men! Have you considered that the Earth is often called Gaia (a female name) or Mother Earth?! This means that every time you use your weapons through her air, you are attacking not only a woman but a mother!

FOR SHAME, GINGERBREAD MEN! HAVE YOU NO HONOR?!

"Egads! The... The... the IMPLICATIONS!"

And thus the Gingerbread Gentlemen were deeply distracted by an idea that challenged their patriarchal worldview, and because this was to be a fairly easy tutorial battle, the GM decided that this distraction was enough to make them skip their first turns. The players were then invited to suggest two opening moves for each party member!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 12:33:28 pm »

Bubbles: Get juuust into range to shoot one. If you kill it, shoot another one. If not, shoot it again.

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 12:41:20 pm »

Bubbles: Get juuust into range to shoot one. If you kill it, shoot another one. If not, shoot it again.
+1
Let's have Tulipsparkles hide behind Bubbles. While the fine gentlemen we are opposing would never attack a lady, it can't hurt her to stay out of the crossfire.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 06:28:28 pm »

Violent Insistence on Manners: When a character or player says something offensive or obscene, a Gingerbread Gentleman gains a +1 Damage bonus to his next successful attack. The bonuses granted by this ability can stack.
IronyOwl cancels Things: Sputtering in horror.
The Gingerbread Gentlemen, meanwhile, have a 100% chance to hit Bubbles in melee, or 95% if 1s always miss, and deal just a little over a third of his health on average when they do hit. So they need three turns to kill him, statistically. They're considerably less dangerous at range: they still have a 90% chance to hit, but do a mere ~1/7th of his health when they do.
Smidgeon of a correction; the Gingerbreaders have a +1 bonus to attack and damage when attacking someone who has a ranged weapon equipped, like our bow.  The Ring of Cover reduces their chance to 50%.  So they deal minimum 3 damage to Bubsy, half the time.  We would survive, on average, 11 attacks from them, and die on the 12th.  We would survive, guaranteed, 4 attacks from them.  What we should do is waste time to challenge each Gingerbread man to a dueling standoff; 1 versus 1, until a party emerges victorious.  This will, in theory, multiply the number of "battles" we are in to 3 (although eliminate Miss Sparklepants from being in any battle).  The risk involved rises with this strategy, as if we successfully hit both times of our "surprise rounds," we are, on average, going to kill, however risk decreases if we miss either attack or roll under average damage.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 06:42:54 pm »

Wait, 50 percent would mean that the gingerbread men would win on a 11 to 20 roll, but with 17 AC they could only hit us on a 15 to 20 roll, so it's actually a 30%, right?
Also, remember that they can hear us, so now you've spilt the beans on our master plan.
Alan help.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 06:46:03 pm »

Wait, 50 percent would mean that the gingerbread men would win on a 11 to 20 roll, but with 17 AC they could only hit us on a 15 to 20 roll, so it's actually a 30%, right?
Also, remember that they can hear us, so now you've spilt the beans on our master plan.

Except that this is a gentlemanly thing, challenging to duels.  The overall risk is greater to us if we duel them.  About the AC; they have a +4 to hit us, so it's about 40% to hit.

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 06:52:29 pm »

Can we have some information on the effects of the various arrows in Bubbles' arsenal? We may have something that makes the battle easier. Also, are candy beings vulnerable to Flesh to Living Arrow? While they are likely at least partly biological thanks to flour and cornstarch and the like, I'm not sure if they count as alive.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 07:36:33 pm »

Except that this is a gentlemanly thing, challenging to duels.  The overall risk is greater to us if we duel them.  About the AC; they have a +4 to hit us, so it's about 40% to hit.
Actually, they have a 3+, two from that Marshmellow pistol! and one from the duelist skill, the Violent Insistence on Manners skill only increases damage by 1, not the actual attack roll.
Alan help.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 08:14:09 pm »

Hang on, I want to make sure here, a characters AC is deducted from an attackers attack roll, right? And is the attack roll different from the damage roll?
Edit: in that case, we actually have good chance to dodge any ranged attack, as we get 12+ AC from our ring of Cover, giving us 17 AC in ranged combat altogether.
So in that case we only have a 30% chance of getting shot, requiring a 15 to Nat 20 for us to even get hit, so ranged combat is really where Bubbles can shine, as you said, even if it does hit, at max 4 damage, which is 25.25% of our health while at minimum, we get 3, which is about 20.66666Rep.

Speaking of, are you sure you haven't got that gingerbread Marshmellow pistol attack bonus against bubbles wrong? The bonus Our gingerbread guardian got was only a 1+ on a successful damage roll, so we would still be getting a 2+ on their attack bonus.
Ninja Edit: Ah, I see, forgot about the gingerbread guardians other power.
Smidgeon of a correction; the Gingerbreaders have a +1 bonus to attack and damage when attacking someone who has a ranged weapon equipped, like our bow.  The Ring of Cover reduces their chance to 50%.  So they deal minimum 3 damage to Bubsy, half the time.  We would survive, on average, 11 attacks from them, and die on the 12th.  We would survive, guaranteed, 4 attacks from them.  What we should do is waste time to challenge each Gingerbread man to a dueling standoff; 1 versus 1, until a party emerges victorious.  This will, in theory, multiply the number of "battles" we are in to 3 (although eliminate Miss Sparklepants from being in any battle).  The risk involved rises with this strategy, as if we successfully hit both times of our "surprise rounds," we are, on average, going to kill, however risk decreases if we miss either attack or roll under average damage.
I totally forgot about the Ring of Cover! And may have forgotten to include their duelist damage bonus!

So yes, we're massively harder to kill at range than I thought. They indeed have a mere 30% chance to hit us for... I think 1/5th of our health? Meaning they need 16 and 2/3 turns to kill us, statistically and solo.

I wonder about that duel exploit, though. Plus, we do want Tulipsparkles leveling up, and a relatively easy tutorial fight would be a good place for her to do that.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 08:28:19 pm »

Course, you have to remember her weapon has a 10% chance to heal any enemy.
Actually, I don't think any of the characters have EXP, all it says is how many encounters before they level up, so that's nice.
Edit: Also, little nitpick, the Gingerbread men attack TulipSparkles actually have a 50% chance to hit her in Melee, not 55% and TulipSparkles herself seems to have a 40% as she needs a 13 to 20 roll to hit with a 10% chance if she hits to heal her enemy.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:36:43 pm by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
Alan help.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 07:37:54 pm »

Can we have some information on the effects of the various arrows in Bubbles' arsenal? We may have something that makes the battle easier.

Nuclearwhale inquired about the special arrows, invoking the following paragraph of exposition. Arrows made out of cold ir-

THWAP!

"Hey guys. Got the new pictures in. Sorry I took a bit long. Holidays happen. Hang one one second while I finish off this third person narrator, okay?"

POW! SPLAT! ZWORT! PEWPEWPEW! *KABOOOOOOOM!*

"There we go. Much better! ...Wait a second. THESE PICTURES ARE TOO BIG! Dammit... And I just blew up my third person narrator. Bubbles, this is on you now. You are going to have to run the adventure first person style for a bit, until I figure out how to shrink these things. NO CHEATING, OR ELSE YOU'll GET IT WHEN I GET BACK!"

"What glorious circumstances! My fate is now in my own hands! On my honor I will play fair. Now then... where were we?

As yes, one of the players has requested information on my stash of special arrows and spells! Arrows made of Cold Iron are designed to mess up fey beings royally; They inflict twice the damage, twice over, on such creatures... and since I am such a creature myself, I need to wield them carefully and avoid ones upon the dice when I fire them.

The Scorpion Chain arrows drag their victims six boxes towards the shooter. They excel at punishing casters and other creatures who are hard pressed to inflict injury without provoking the dreaded AoO. They can also provoke such bonus attacks directly by dragging a hapless delinquent past allies who are competent melee combatants. It is proper form to scream 'get over here' at the top of one's lungs when loosing a device such as this from one's bow.

Living arrows are aware and in approval of their master's will. They actively aid in executing agile and accurate attacks. Not only are they more likely to hit, both critically and in general, but one who shoots a living arrow will never be subjected to the dreaded AoO while doing so.

Heavy Arrows are heavy indeed. They are a bit harder to aim than their normal brethren, but bring better abuse upon those who receive their business ends.

Piercing Arrows fly right through their first target, and can hit something behind them as well. Should one have the fortune of landing a critical hit, it will punish everything in its path until it reaches the end of the map!

As for the spell, I have some confidence that it will work on these vile knaves, but I would rather not cast a melee ranged AoO provoking spell on something that has skill with a sword. 

...Luckily, I think these fools are too busy contemplating the Powderminer's words to notice I am insulting them and reap the benefits from it. Shall I notch some arrows and open fire?"

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2014, 07:52:47 pm »

Just shoot them with the normal arrows until they die.

This is early-game, man, no need to waste supplies.
Just waste them.

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2014, 08:03:14 pm »

Just shoot them with the normal arrows until they die.

This is early-game, man, no need to waste supplies.
Just waste them.
I wasn't planning on using any of our special arrows, I just noticed we didn't know what they actually did, and asking is defiantly better than figuring it out via trial and error.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2014, 08:35:56 pm »

That wasn't addressed to you :p
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5