Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Is bigoted thought without action inherently bad?  (Read 8836 times)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is bigoted thought without action inherently bad?
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2014, 08:19:26 am »

Well, it picks up internal associations between emotions and race (I believe they had other tests for gender and ageism on the site too). It doesn't remark on the justifications for such biases- it just indicates that there is a bias.

There's a local museum in San Diego that even has these tests in it. I find myself not entirely swayed by the validity of the method, but it's definitely true that people are making decisions they aren't even consciously aware of, including the kinds of data they'll absorb and act upon (hence "check your privilege").

I think like the studies you linked earlier, Audit studies are probably some of our most feasible rigorous applications of unconscious discrimination study without running afoul of ethical concerns. The most well-known probably being the Pager study which found that white people with criminal records received more job callbacks than black people without criminal records.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2014, 08:40:04 am »

I'm still wondering why the proponents of "statistical racism" don't worship jews.
They don't?

Well, I'm not aware that they do...
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2014, 10:28:12 am »

PTW, the racial profiling discussion seems rather productive.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2014, 02:36:18 pm »

I'm still wondering why the proponents of "statistical racism" don't worship jews.
They don't?

Well, I'm not aware that they do...
What do you mean?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2014, 05:12:31 pm »

Note my self-corrective edit
EDIT: Furthermore, you have to throw in risk of acquiring an STD despite proper use of a condom (note that if he isn't using one, both choices are awful). Since that risk is incredibly low (we're not talking pregnancy here, only STDs), then really both choices are equal.

That's incredibly naive for reasons that have nothing to do with the thread topic. You may as well suggest that it's safe to be in a car accident so long as you wear a seat belt.

Apologies to mods, but this is not at all "sexy talk," this is basic health education.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2014, 05:23:22 pm »

PTW, the racial profiling discussion seems rather productive.
I would like to think its more about establishing degree and solution to the problem.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]