Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fortress Discussion  (Read 1524 times)

Dwarven Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Discussion
« on: December 19, 2014, 06:16:48 pm »

I'm a new player to Dwarf Fortress, and I kind of suck at it. But that's not important, or what this thread is about. This thread is about fortresses. I'm hoping to create a completely militarized fortress with some quirks to it.

One: criminals will become expendable shock troopers who can only earn their forgiveness by a glorious, dwarven death. They will be trained, and some might be driven insane on purpose for research and my sheer curiosity. The best fighters will stark raving madmen or madwomen that take down elephants for exercise, but the very best will be a Dwarf that kills bronze clossi for fun.

Two: On Elves: Try to have peace with the elves, but dig a tunnel under the tree hugging campground that leads to the circus. When they cross the line, pull a lever that opens a door and unleash the clowns. Can I do that?

Three: Defenses: There will be two tunnels beside my fortress, each leading to Hell. When something big and ugly comes along, unleash the clowns, and hope Armok doesn't mind hordes of demons on the surface world being commonplace.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 06:21:22 pm »

One: Criminals will serve their time in prison or else a noble will get whiny and probably break something.

Two: Changing something in the RAW's will allow you to embark on pre-existing fortresses, forest retreats, and necromancer towers.

Three: Are you sure you won't immediately have all your dwarves die? Plus your fps will die.

Dwarven Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 06:24:59 pm »

I'm not really knowledgeable about the game's mechanics. My bad. I intend the prison being the first line of defense. And the second thing, what is the RAW? Nah, I'll just have layers of walls protecting the fort.   

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 06:27:10 pm »

And the second thing, what is the RAW?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Raw_file

These, my friend, are the RAW's. I personally don't change anything.

You can also use the Dwarf Fortress Starter pack, a continuation of the Lazy Newb Pack.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0 - Thread.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622 - Download.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:30:14 pm by Pencil_Art »

Dwarven Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 06:28:28 pm »

Thank you for the link. So, how would my fortress fare if I tried it out?

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 06:31:05 pm »

No idea. Haven't tried something like that yet.

Beware of climbers and jumpers.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Climber
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Jump
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:33:31 pm by Pencil_Art »

Dwarven Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 06:33:00 pm »

I see. I like to think it could work, but then again, I'd probably unleash demons and lava on the world.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 04:53:47 pm »

Actually, only happens if the 'injured party' is the noble and also if you have a justice system set up
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Justice

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 06:21:58 pm »

1. I personally don't use criminals for shock troops, rather, I use vamps/were-dwarves. They tend to be more expendable, because most criminals are just very unhappy dwarves.

2. If by campsite, you mean Trade Depot, then this is really easy. Just look for threads about Trade Depot Drowning/magma chambers.

3. Don't forget captured prisoners and trained animals. The clowns will path on the shortest route, so unless both are equal length, only one big tunnel will be necessary. Dodge traps also work well with prisoners (have them dodge into the air, and fall into a pit with the prisoners). Be wary though, clowns are magma-proof and can fly. They also scare little children.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Dwarven Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 11:36:59 pm »

I see. Thanks both of you for your advice. I guess I'm hoping too much will go as planned. I just want to prevent my dwarves from being elf food.And I want legendary axe beserker dwarves to add a little terror to my fortress.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 05:59:04 am »

Your ideas are confusing and dangerous.  Godspeed!

Dwarven Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 09:33:32 pm »

Confusing? Really? Isn't dangerous ideas a major factor in Dwarf Fortress?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 10:49:09 pm »

Confusing? Really? Isn't dangerous ideas a major factor in Dwarf Fortress?

I have no idea how you will implement the first one, I don't know at all what you mean by the second one, and the third one is near certain suicide.  All for the purpose of avoiding death at the hands of the elves, who in fact are friendly, passive, weak, and poorly armed.  So, yes, they are confusing, and yet gloriously dwarven magnificent ideas.

Dwarven Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 12:03:31 am »

Huh, now I feel bad about planning elf genocide. I think I might be over stepping myself here, but I think I'll see what I can and can't do. Now I just feel like making plans for when the Toady One brings back Boatmurdered era elephants with a vengeance with a high risk of becoming husks. 

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 12:06:07 am »

Clowns are normally quite powerful; most of the randomly generated ones are, and often you will need to spray those full of bolts before they die, as most of the melee dwarfs will likely die of syndrome.
Pages: [1] 2