Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Theoretical spacecraft engines (following on from derail)  (Read 10155 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical spacecraft engines (following on from derail)
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 04:33:17 pm »

Space sails?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 04:39:25 pm »

What's the difference between the imaginary FTL tachyons and the real tachyons? Being named the same thing is kind of confusing.
The actual phenomenon does not travel faster than light.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 04:41:39 pm »

What's the difference between the imaginary FTL tachyons and the real tachyons? Being named the same thing is kind of confusing.
The actual phenomenon does not travel faster than light.

How do you tell if someone is talking about the fake one or the real one when they mention tachyons?

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 04:43:28 pm »

Why are writers of science bullshit fiction so fond of things going faster than light? It's not possible, we know it isn't, and there are actually suggested ways (Alcubierre drive, even wormholes) of getting around this barrier which are far more interesting than just making up nonsense.

To check which kind of tachyons people are talking about, just ask them to put "bullshit" in front of the fake ones. Problem solved. You can't tell otherwise, and it all gets very confusing.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 04:45:18 pm »

Why do the real ones have the same name as the fake ones?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 04:47:40 pm »

The real ones were originally thought to go faster than light, but that turned out not to be.

Science fiction had already picked them up at that point.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 05:01:56 pm »

Hence the planned disambiguation between real tachyons and bullshit tachyons, BTs for those "science" fiction writers who like acronyms.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 05:04:09 pm »

What are the real tachyons then? Are they something like neutrinos or?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 05:10:01 pm »

A real tachyon is a field with a negative squared mass. Ie, imaginary mass. IIRC, the higgs field is one.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 09:25:40 pm »

Just to carry over from the other thread, but my original explanations were based on the assumption that (bullshit) tachyons could exist and have mass (which, at the time of the creation of the Yamato cannon explanation, were still brand new ideas up for debate in the world of physics). I'd definitely agree that any sort of engine that was based on those concepts that I listed (which I think actually didn't get wiped from the other thread, since I hid them in spoilers in an otherwise valid post) would be totally invalid according to modern physics.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 09:27:50 pm »

ffs UUU, not everyone wants to read about fantasy elves or edgy as fuck spree killers in their fiction.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 09:35:45 pm »

Also, they could be EASILY weaponised. Make some highly heat-resistant wormhole generator, or have something which can project a wormhole. For the first, stick it near to a star as possible and open it upon the enemy, the latter, project one end of the wormhole INSIDE the star (or a neutron star, or black hole or whatever) then project the lined one upon an enemy.
Of course one of the major points of fighting is usually over something, most commonly resources. While a black hole based wormhole weapon would certainly be effective, it has the side effect of rendering whatever you use it on uninhabitable and unusable, permanently. Similarly a star based strategical wormhole weapon would certainly be effective at glassing planets, but unless you are okay with waiting for your planet to cool down from a hunk of molten lava (or have some way to shut down/remove the wormhole remotely) you aren't going to be getting anything from that planet for the next few billion years.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 05:42:20 am »

The other point is that the energy required to make a wormhole is rather significant, and both it and the Alcubierre drive rely on exotic matter, which hasn't been found yet. (Though theoretically, you could perhaps use some interpretation of quantum mechanics to make it work).

On that matter, An Alcubierre drive might have problems with weaponization as well. The interstellar vaccuum isn't empty, so the the ship would pick up particles and create a bow wave of highly energetic blueshifted particles.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2014, 05:49:10 am »

Why are writers of science bullshit fiction so fond of things going faster than light? It's not possible, we know it isn't, and there are actually suggested ways (Alcubierre drive, even wormholes) of getting around this barrier which are far more interesting than just making up nonsense.

To check which kind of tachyons people are talking about, just ask them to put "bullshit" in front of the fake ones. Problem solved. You can't tell otherwise, and it all gets very confusing.
Because it makes for good worldbuilding???
You seem to be criticising writers of a genre with fiction in its name for writing fiction.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2014, 06:00:15 am »

It makes good universe building if they just call them midichlorians or something and admit that they are magic and fictional particles which do not and cannot really exist. Trying to explain the impossible in terms of science cannot work.

How did people think that tachyons with real mass going faster than light were possible in the 1970s, when relativity specifically forbids it? Was the theory thought to be flawed in some way?

When did I ever mention edgy as fuck spree killers? That was an odd leap of logic.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 06:09:46 am by Urist Uristurister »

For old times' sake.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8