Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: fun changes to the raws  (Read 6621 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: fun changes to the raws
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2014, 05:41:02 am »

The only effect that snapping an ankle should have on a troll in battle is making it limp. Fainting in battle from broken bones makes absolutely no sense in evolution and would generally result in the species going extinct.

An adrenaline mechanic reducing pain but increasing bleeding would fix this.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2014, 06:06:33 am »

Most all species on this planet, ourselves amongst them feel pain and in mammals shock is one of the most lethal conditions a mammal can ever come down with. Extreme pain can cause your heart rate and blood pressure to fall and result in unconsciousness, even if you have a high pain tolerance. Having your bones pulped is one of the most painful things in the world.

An adrenaline mechanic would be awesome. I've always assumed it was a part of Dwarves going into trances, but trances are special.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2014, 08:44:42 am »

Hence the adrenaline mechanic. Creatures being incapacitated by broken bones is fine after the battle, but animals do not stop trying to survive because an ankle was broken. See this video for historical cases of people fighting on with grievous wounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF_K-P0AwfI
More recently, I heard a story from a serviceman in Afghanistan whose vehicle was destroyed by an IED. His vertebrae were chipped, but he only fainted after he had crawled to safety.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2014, 09:34:30 am »

There is a difference between a sprained ankle and one which has a compound fracture; animals never lose the will to survive, shock is involuntary.
Make no mistake I am not arguing that every time a Dwarf breaks their toes they should be dead in the water; I am arguing that removing that possibility altogether is more unrealistic than keeping it. Already there is a range of experiences people have in regards to shock, I myself have never seen some of the extreme examples others have reported of shock caused by the smashing of extremities. I've had to try incredibly hard just to get a human in arena mode to faint from finger breakage. Others have reported the opposite, that arrows and bolts almost instantly incapacitate their Dwarves by virtue of chipping bones. I still maintain that it is a matter of willpower on account of all the threads about adventurers complaining about the same thing all having dumped willpower as their dump stat; a look at my Fort's veterans also shows that they all have wills in the range of iron will, deep wells of patience and unbreakable wills. I still haven't seen them faint, even when they've had limbs ripped off or severed entirely by megabeasts.
Creatures being incapacitated by fractures is fine in battle. It's something that plagues mammals. Furthermore it's the point of weapons to kill the enemy, not let them crawl to safety before passing out.

Quote from: NHS
Autonomic nervous system malfunction

Fainting is most commonly caused by a temporary malfunction in the autonomic nervous system. This type of fainting is sometimes known as neurally mediated syncope.

The autonomic nervous system is made up of the brain, nerves and spinal cord. It regulates automatic bodily functions, such as heart rate and blood pressure.

An external trigger – such as an unpleasant sight, heat or sudden pain – can temporarily cause the autonomic nervous system to stop working properly, resulting in a fall in blood pressure and fainting.

It may also cause your heartbeat to slow down or pause for a few seconds, resulting a temporary interruption to the brain's blood supply. This is called vasovagal syncope.
The sudden appearance of pain is more important than the source of pain of the intensity of it. Hence why shock is termed shock.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2014, 01:20:53 pm »

There is a difference between a sprained ankle and one which has a compound fracture; animals never lose the will to survive, shock is involuntary.
Make no mistake I am not arguing that every time a Dwarf breaks their toes they should be dead in the water; I am arguing that removing that possibility altogether is more unrealistic than keeping it. Already there is a range of experiences people have in regards to shock, I myself have never seen some of the extreme examples others have reported of shock caused by the smashing of extremities. I've had to try incredibly hard just to get a human in arena mode to faint from finger breakage. Others have reported the opposite, that arrows and bolts almost instantly incapacitate their Dwarves by virtue of chipping bones. I still maintain that it is a matter of willpower on account of all the threads about adventurers complaining about the same thing all having dumped willpower as their dump stat; a look at my Fort's veterans also shows that they all have wills in the range of iron will, deep wells of patience and unbreakable wills. I still haven't seen them faint, even when they've had limbs ripped off or severed entirely by megabeasts.
Creatures being incapacitated by fractures is fine in battle. It's something that plagues mammals. Furthermore it's the point of weapons to kill the enemy, not let them crawl to safety before passing out.

Quote from: NHS
Autonomic nervous system malfunction

Fainting is most commonly caused by a temporary malfunction in the autonomic nervous system. This type of fainting is sometimes known as neurally mediated syncope.

The autonomic nervous system is made up of the brain, nerves and spinal cord. It regulates automatic bodily functions, such as heart rate and blood pressure.

An external trigger – such as an unpleasant sight, heat or sudden pain – can temporarily cause the autonomic nervous system to stop working properly, resulting in a fall in blood pressure and fainting.

It may also cause your heartbeat to slow down or pause for a few seconds, resulting a temporary interruption to the brain's blood supply. This is called vasovagal syncope.
The sudden appearance of pain is more important than the source of pain of the intensity of it. Hence why shock is termed shock.

Aye, small fractures can typically be overriden by adrenaline and willpower.  However... a serious fracture (compound) will very easily render someone unconscious.  Think less "stubbed toe" and more "I CAN SEE MY GOD DAMNED SHIN BONE RIPPING THROUGH MY LEG"  This will not only render you unconscious, but will probably kill you as well without immediate care. 

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2014, 01:47:38 pm »

However, back to the actual point of hte thread.  I like to add in [mat_leather] to scales and chitin.  Thus, when I send my axelords to kill those 10 useless crundles spooking my weavers, my refuse stockpile doesn't get inundated with worthless crundle scales.

Other than that, I add [child] tags to dragons and other non-breedable creatures.  While I think dragons CAN breed now, they hatch fully grown.  I'm never going to run a 1000+ year fort, but its still silly to have a hatchling born larger than its parent.   

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2014, 02:10:07 pm »

Nope, they hatch and grow normally.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2014, 02:25:39 pm »

What you guys mean is they hatch as sexually mature adults but their size is determined by the [body_size:years:days:xxx] tags.  Dragon hatch as sexually active midget adults smaller than a human, but unless your fort goes for a millenia they won't reach full size.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2014, 05:22:32 pm »

Only one mention of changing ethics to make eating sapients acceptable? I guess people have enough excess from regular sources that extracting organics out of goblinite isn't necessary.

Years ago I ported around various raw changes, ranging from re-naming roasts (to e.g. "cake" just to make Dwarven cooking even more facepalm) to making a cheat weapon that blends the best of whips and crossbows using just a single skill. Oh and tweaking skill rates, starting skill levels and removing punch/kick/scratch/bite attacks from dwarf raws. That last one was when I was obsessed with making military lessons as streamlined as possible.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2014, 08:01:49 pm »

Only one mention of changing ethics to make eating sapients acceptable? I guess people have enough excess from regular sources that extracting organics out of goblinite isn't necessary.
And make your Dwarves like Elves? Preposterous. Besides, they'd all get brain illness. More than usual.

I do occasionally make elf blood cause body tissues to dissolve and rot, and at one point I added what surmounted to a railgun that fired harpoons and had a battle axe bayonet on the end. That was a fun weapon.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2014, 08:40:06 pm »

Let's see. I take the adopts owners tag off of cats. I create a couple new castes of cat. One is a tiger that's only one third normal size. The other's an intelligent centauroid kitty that can use tools without adopting owners.

There's also the time I built a race of modified humans with castes that had Natural Skills in everything. Different skills for different castes. I never could get the naming right. For the first caste, the game just wanted to use the base creature name rather than the caste name. Even though it had a specific name. The other castes were perfectly fine.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2014, 08:51:02 am »

I already said that I had no problems with broken shins disabling creatures, though that may have been in another thread. It was minor extremity bones where this was an issue. Since shock is involuntary, willpower should not be as much of a deciding factor as it is now.

Dwarves do not eat sentient creatures since that would be far too elven. You are a little elven yourself if you added it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 08:54:04 am by Urist Uristurister »

For old times' sake.

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2014, 09:13:33 am »

How can I make goblin blood black and poisonous? I want to add some syndromes to it, like pain and dizziness, to make them stronger.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2014, 06:36:41 pm »

Organs have few pain receptors in them, so adding any there is bogus. Pain receptors should be concentrated around the skin and bones, but not at a level where dwarves faint from broken toes.

While not completely accurate, I prefer to think that the psychological effects of having a major organ damaged would contribute more to the effects we see in DF.
I usually only increase the kidney, spleen and eye receptors a significant degree.

Lowering pain receptors in bones to 5-10 is a bit low though. I use 13 and 2 good breaks usually will cause fainting. Acceptable as far as my needs go.

Are you sure?  I used 35 to 40 on the bones and they seemed to do that in arena.

2 chips would be the lower limit I saw (which is likely average), which Ive always imagined as more painful than breaks.
My experience is that broken bones tend to stack up quite quickly.
I use 10 most of the time, and agree that 5 is on the low side. The organ changes balance it out to an extent, and the feel I get from it seems almost like an adrenaline simulation.

Combatants will fight on with several broken bones, but will take the pain penalties and often pass-out awhile after the bones are broken.
I prefer this greatly to things passing out immediately upon the bone being broken.

hegchog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2014, 07:58:15 pm »

I normally give humans iron and steel, since copper is useless against anything iron or above.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5