Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: fun changes to the raws  (Read 6623 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: fun changes to the raws
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2014, 02:50:13 pm »

Aquifers are just a part of the DF landscape. If you want to avoid them, embark somewhere without them. They are also part of real geology.

My raws changes are reducing the number of pain receptors in small bones to stop creatures from fainting from broken toes in the middle of battle, removing the "trapavoid" tag from some creatures since it makes absolutely no sense (they do not actually avoid the traps, they just magically do not trigger them), increasing the strength of beasts' tissues and changing humans' attitude to the torture of animals to acceptable.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 02:52:04 pm »

Aquifers are just a part of the DF landscape. If you want to avoid them, embark somewhere without them. They are also part of real geology.
I would like literal lakes of water underground in pseudo-lakes.  But I suspect they would be too inconvenient to fort-making.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2014, 03:55:53 pm »

My standard change involves the tissues template, I greatly lower bone pain receptors (generally to around 5-10, bones break sooo often).
Additionally I increase the both the pain receptors and the vascular level in organs, relative to the organ. I also lower then vascular and pain levels in skin/scales/chitin.

This usually makes for far less passing out from broken bones, while making organ hits more devastating. And since multiple bone breaks are very common, multiple breaks will still cause a dwarf to pass out.

I find this tends to make combat more interesting and less frustrating.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2014, 04:01:28 pm »

Organs have few pain receptors in them, so adding any there is bogus. Pain receptors should be concentrated around the skin and bones, but not at a level where dwarves faint from broken toes.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2014, 04:05:10 pm »

Organs have few pain receptors in them, so adding any there is bogus. Pain receptors should be concentrated around the skin and bones, but not at a level where dwarves faint from broken toes.
So change them.  At half level, most dwarves will not faint until 3 or more bones suffer chips or fractures.

which, at that level, defeats the purpose of willpower and discipline.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2014, 04:08:27 pm »

You just need to train your Dwarves' willpower by frequently breaking their bones.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2014, 05:44:07 pm »

It should not really be a question of willpower. Animals do not faint in battle because a toe was broken.

Only the receptors in smaller bones should be reduced a lot, though receptors in all bones should be reduced a bit. I am fine with a broken shin disabling a dwarf, though fainting in battle would not happen because of adrenaline, but not a broken toe, finger or rib. I reduced the number of receptors in smaller bones by 2/3 and in bigger bones by 1/3, which made dwarves sensibly durable without creating Black Knight situations.

My main point is that this should really happen in the base game. It would be a very small but important change.

For old times' sake.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2014, 06:09:58 pm »

It should not really be a question of willpower. Animals do not faint in battle because a toe was broken.
Really I have not seen any of my Dwarves feint from a broken toe or finger in battle; I very much do believe it is a matter of willpower. For that matter I have not seen animals feint from stubbed toes either. The only time I have seen such a thing happen is in babies or in adventurers who treated willpower as their dump stat.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2014, 07:35:22 pm »

What I really mean is that adrenaline and the will to survive would stop many creatures from spontaneously fainting in battle, even with low willpower; all creatures should have a bit of willpower in that case.

Feinting is a valid and sometimes useful combat tactic and is not a result of being injured.

For old times' sake.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2014, 08:26:06 pm »

Pardon, that was a typo; fainting was what I meant. Most creatures do have that willpower. Most do not pass out from pain from stubbed toes. I've regularly had Dwarves have toes and fingers ripped off and remain functional. It is very much a measure of willpower, creatures which cannot stand even the slightest pain should not be able to stand their bones being liquified. Least of all in their extremities where their nerves are densely clustered.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Average human with average willpower and I had to smash his fingers with the glee of an angry mafia boss several times before I could get him to faint from pain.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2014, 08:28:36 pm »

Something has changed, then; I remember seeing a thread where a monster had passed out instantly from having a small bone broken and was quickly killed by a dwarf, and others were reporting the same.

For old times' sake.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2014, 08:50:04 pm »

Something has changed, then; I remember seeing a thread where a monster had passed out instantly from having a small bone broken and was quickly killed by a dwarf, and others were reporting the same.

This matches my own experience. Many a troll has been vanquished by snapping an ankle. It faints and then an obligatory decap is never far behind.

I greatly lower bone pain receptors (generally to around 5-10, bones break sooo often).

Lowering pain receptors in bones to 5-10 is a bit low though. I use 13 and 2 good breaks usually will cause fainting. Acceptable as far as my needs go.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2014, 09:03:11 pm »

Lowering pain receptors in bones to 5-10 is a bit low though. I use 13 and 2 good breaks usually will cause fainting. Acceptable as far as my needs go.

Are you sure?  I used 35 to 40 on the bones and they seemed to do that in arena.

2 chips would be the lower limit I saw (which is likely average), which Ive always imagined as more painful than breaks.
PKs DF Mod!

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2014, 11:01:20 pm »

I used to remove all animal men, but I'm too lazy now.

There used to be a mod to do it, but it hasn't been updated :(

Also, death to aquifers.

To get rid of all animal men just add this

[CV_REMOVE_TAG:BIOME]   
   [CV_NEW_TAG:FANCIFUL]
   [CV_NEW_TAG:DOES_NOT_EXIST]
to the [CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON] and[CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON_LEGLESS]

FANCIFUL is not nesicary, but I wanted them to show up in engravings. Note this will get rid of olm men, bat men, cave fish and cave swalow men as well.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2014, 05:20:22 am »

Display cases, for useless artefacts (and any other interesting things, like weapons with interesting kill histories).

Giving each entity a different naming theme for its wars (E.g. Wild or Nature for Elves, Evil or Ugly for Goblins, Leader for Humans).  Makes the histories a bit more interesting and entertaining, with such events as "The Battle of Hells*" or "The Attack of Flies", or "The Crazy Conflict" (fought over the mistreatment of plants).

* During which the three-eyed devil Omo Hexbattles the Greater Target killed the elf Ilime Glacierboards.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5