Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: fun changes to the raws  (Read 6620 times)

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
fun changes to the raws
« on: December 19, 2014, 12:48:17 pm »

I was wondering what changes you guys usually make to the raws when you play, nothing major, but the little things that give you an interesting or more fun experience. For example I usually get rid of the aquifers by changing all references to "[AQUIFER]" to "(AQUIFER)", and I usually add ITEMS_AMMO to lead because I don't really have any other use for lead(?). Similarly I sometimes add the tag to war train any interesting beasties I capture.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:26:09 pm by wooks »
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: fun changes to the raws
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 01:04:31 pm »

[FLIER] + [CREATURE:DRAGON]

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 01:08:41 pm »

[FLIER] + [CREATURE:DRAGON]
Indeed.  Clearly dragons were meant to fly, as they have wings.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 01:16:35 pm »

I make hemp and cotton more common add in the display case and make all stone the same color.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 01:20:13 pm »

Little things . . .

Kobolds get [mischievous]
All siege thresholds get lowered
I give dwarves daggers
I started giving horses and boars such trainable tags

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Kraegan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 01:42:58 pm »

I also remove aquifers, I add the ability to make a bed out of stone and cloth.  Because let's face it, if you can make a dresser out of stone you should be able to make a bed!  I also add practice workshops from the wiki, but I power them with dead vermin which if you have a cat or two adds up pretty quick.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 07:22:47 pm »

Lead's nice to make Lay Pewter with, which has a pretty Teal color. Beyond that it's good for vertical/horiztontal bars, constructions you don't care about seeing, and training your low-level metalcrafters and blacksmiths.

Besides removing Aquifers, I like to change Sandy Loam, Loamy Sand, etc to count as Sand tiles. Small quality-of-life things like that.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 07:34:52 pm »

I used to make my dwarves eat other sentients, but no longer.

Now I add [LIKES_FIGHTING] to dwarves, and make them more proud-warrior-race-guy types.

Also modding dragons so they are more fun is always good.

Also remove half of the creatures... really they give nothing good else be in your map and be useless. Giant thrips, I'm looking at you, damn it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 07:38:50 pm »

Lead's nice to make Lay Pewter with, which has a pretty Teal color. Beyond that it's good for vertical/horiztontal bars, constructions you don't care about seeing, and training your low-level metalcrafters and blacksmiths.

Besides removing Aquifers, I like to change Sandy Loam, Loamy Sand, etc to count as Sand tiles. Small quality-of-life things like that.
O_O  I like this idea.

I used to make my dwarves eat other sentients, but no longer.

Now I add [LIKES_FIGHTING] to dwarves, and make them more proud-warrior-race-guy types.

Also modding dragons so they are more fun is always good.

Also remove half of the creatures... really they give nothing good else be in your map and be useless. Giant thrips, I'm looking at you, damn it.
LikeFighting is literally functionless and slated to go obsolete because of the new emotion overhauls.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 07:48:19 pm »

I hope I can change them to remove some population related limit.
For example, goblins will siege even if you have only 10 dorfs. Or you can become the mountainhome if you have created enough wealth (yeah, everyone is a nobel, what?)

I really want to play a trap master style game, hehe, that is a handful of dorfs sitting in their control rooms, drinking booze and pulling the levers.

Yeah, I know some of those are hard-coded.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 08:56:16 pm »

I make tons of animals shearable, like yaks, mink, and chinchillas, among others.  IRL, musk ox fleece is actually considered one of the finest luxury fibers and is coveted by hand spinners.

I have made unicorns war trainable and tamable.  Best modding decision I ever made.  Finally, something attractive about good biomes: an animal that is good for fortress defense and can fuel a large part of your economy.  Masterwork unicorn bone greaves are worth 1104 urists a pop, great for trade.  A war unicorn also slew the giant that invaded recently.  For pretty prancing ponies, DF unicorns sure don't fuck around.

More importantly, I made giant toads trainable, so I can have Battletoads and combine two impossible-to-win games into one.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 09:08:41 pm »

DF unicorns are hardcore motherfuckers.

I usually give goblins a good tech boost, so they come clad in full iron or steel as opposed to their usual patchwork crap. I also make every animal war trainable, because there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 09:47:00 pm »

Code: [Select]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
                The gender tag lets it know how breeding works.
                [FEMALE]
                [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
                To add beards, put square brackets around the following:
                [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS]

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 10:56:12 pm »

I remove the Aquifers, too.  Sometimes i play with adding new prefstrings that I find appropriate.  I want to mod in toms of new gems,but never get around to doing it.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 12:05:13 am »

Code: [Select]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
                The gender tag lets it know how breeding works.
                [FEMALE]
                [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
                To add beards, put square brackets around the following:
                [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS]

This is terrifying.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5