Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noob question: Put dwarf in cage  (Read 5687 times)

Harpya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noob question: Put dwarf in cage
« on: December 18, 2014, 05:13:45 pm »

Hi there,
I am desperate: My fortress is almost down, after a single weredwarf in combination with a forgotten beast wrecked havok. Now, I have five dwarfes left and one infected were-dwarven-child. Finally, it seems to be the only infected left. So, I have a fighting chance, but:

How can I put it in a cage so it cant infect others again? Even with the wiki, I cant figure it out. I so annoyed, I am even willing to use a cheat. Is there one with dfhack to heal the kid? Any help that is not "fun" is appreaciated.

Thanks!

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: Noob question: Put dwarf in cage
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 05:44:57 pm »

Dwarfs only trigger traps when they're unconscious. You can knock the kid out with a cave in and hope he lands on a trap. Or you can try to seal him in with constructed walls, although children are difficult to herd since they don't take jobs.

You can use DFHack to kill him or seal him in with obsidian, but I don't know of any way to heal him.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 05:51:05 pm »

You don't need a cage to contain the weredwarf.  Create a burrow inside one room, assign the child to this burrow and then wall off the room entrance after he/she has entered. That will keep him/her indefinitely, or until you'll come up with some creative use for the infected.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Harpya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 05:51:59 pm »

Thank you.

I tried the burrow solution, but the child does not go there on its own. Also... another weredwarf survived.

So, it seems I have to kill the units with dfhack. How can I do that? The readme of DFHack does not seem to have it...

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Noob question: Put dwarf in cagey
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 05:57:58 pm »

Put your cursor over the dwarves in question and type "liquids help" , I think. If that doesn't work, try Fluids.

Then use the help menu to create first a blob of water then a blob of lava at the cursor.
This will make the weredwarf an ex-dwarf.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 07:17:14 pm »

Maybe they can dodge into a trap?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 07:36:11 pm »

Build walls around it if it cannot move/when he sleeps ?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 07:49:18 pm »

If that works, you can just station a squad inside your trapped corridor and lock the door(s).
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 09:13:57 pm »

To trap children in a room, I put a statue in the room, then make the statue into a room. The kid goes in to admire the statue, and I lock the door into the room. I then have someone wall over the door, so the kid can't get out even after he destroys the door when he's a were.

To trap the adult, same method, or perhaps his bedroom or an office or some other workspace, or just put him in his own military unit and station him in the room. Then lock the door, and wall over the door. Presto, trapped dorf who can never get out.

If you have injured, assign a hospital with a door. When they're all in, lock the door, and wall in the hospital, then assign a new hospital for any who might be injured in a more mundane fashion (such as stubbing their toe when they're puking from sunlight exposure, to name a common example). I had a weregiraffe locked in a former hospital for years once. It helped, because every time the fort died (there was a weird thing happening with mass drowning suicides in that fort) it wasn't over, as he was alive and locked up until the next migrant wave arrived. So now I don't bother to kill the werebeasts. They're fine locked up.

I've never needed to use dwarfhack to solve this problem. Generally if I'm suspicious someone is a were, I trap them in a walled off room till I find out, then I can always deconstruct the wall later. After a particularly nasty weretortoise attack, I locked every dwarf in a different bit of the fort, waited a month, then watched the weres deconstruct their own doors and roam free. Each who did this got assigned to a unit, and later got put in the same room together. Then I just deconstructed the walls on the ones not infected, and they walled in their were-beast friends.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 09:21:41 pm »

Children can have their bedroom, so perhaps it is easier.

DTTTDB

D=Door
T=Trapped corridor
B=bed
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:23:23 pm by utunnels »

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 05:18:47 am »

I find the easiest way to get a dwarf where you want to be building a lever and designating it to be usable only by the dwarf in question. The easiest way to get a dwarf in a cage is by dropping it on a trap from a drawbridge, so if I were you I'd build a lever, short drawbridge and a door on one level, and a cage trap under the bridge. When the child goes to pull the lever, lock the door, and when he walks onto the bridge, retract it and drop him into the cage.

Harpya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 09:04:06 am »

Thanks for all the replies! I will try them out. With only three healthy dwarves left, it is kind of tricky and a fight against the next full-moon-time, but thats "fun", I guess.... ;-)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 09:34:41 am »

Children can have their bedroom, so perhaps it is easier.

DTTTDB

D=Door
T=Trapped corridor
B=bed

What on earth would the traps be for? Neither citizens nor beast-transforms trigger traps.

Children can have bedrooms, but it's a pain actually locking them into them, because as long as its mother is alive, a child tends to follow her around all the time. This setup with the extra corridor might help catching the child while it pays one of its half-second visits to the bedroom, though.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 01:04:30 pm »

So, it seems I have to kill the units with dfhack. How can I do that? The readme of DFHack does not seem to have it...

https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/blob/master/Readme.rst#exterminate