Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: The Save the World Thread  (Read 10948 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: The Save the World Thread
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2015, 10:31:24 am »

Natural diamonds have microscopic impurities not present in synthetic ones. So yes, you can tell natural from synthetic.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2015, 10:40:16 am »

So in other words natural diamonds are a lower quality product.

Also I thought I heard that there were people working on a way to produce defective synthetic diamonds, and it's not like most people have chemistry labs or electron microscopes in their houses anyway.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2015, 10:43:10 am »

Idea 26:  Start large scale funding and production of artificial diamonds.  Airdrop the diamonds all over the place to make diamonds worthless, thus ending the blood diamond trade.

I like the way you think. Hell, even if the blood diamond trade wasn't a thing I'd still support this idea because I hate jewelry too (now if there was a way to do this with gold)
Some people don't like fake things.  Diamonds will still be worth just as much.

Am I the only person who dislikes when people use "fake" to mean "artificial"? They're two completely unrelated concepts
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2015, 11:20:48 am »

So in other words natural diamonds are a lower quality product.

Also I thought I heard that there were people working on a way to produce defective synthetic diamonds, and it's not like most people have chemistry labs or electron microscopes in their houses anyway.
You can send in your diamonds to have them checked. And I doubt that it'll be possible to completely mimic the natural defects.

Also 'quality' is a subjective term. What I call 'high-quality cheese' may be just a horrible stinky waste of milk for someone else.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2015, 12:05:07 pm »

The "russian method" (uses presssurized geodesic crucibles instead of vapor deposition) should be capable of producing similar defects to those of natural diamonds.  The impurities are usually from nitrogen and specific flavors (isotopes) of metal ions found in the mantle of the earth, but not on the surface.  Properly seeding the growth medium with these materials under hermetic conditions prior to activating the hydraulic pressure system should produce diamonds of similar characteristics that would be much harder for gem cutters and jewelers to spot.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2015, 04:06:22 pm »

Idea 28:  All cows are now mandated to have Seal, Tiger and other valuable animal genitals grafted all over their backs.

If you can grow a ear on rat, you can grow hundreds of seal penises on a cow.  The benefits are three-fold! 

1)  Endangered animals are no longer hunted for the imagined medicinal properties of their gonads.
2)  The economic benefits of selling endangered animal gonads in bulk will be enormous. 
3)  Driving past farmland with these cows will be highly entertaining for everyone, raising the GNH of a nation.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2015, 04:13:10 pm »

Might not necessarily work; it depends on the skin of the cow in question.

Worst case, we'd have to grow the gonads on pigs.  It would be a bit dirty though and the medicine would no longer be be kosher.  :(

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2015, 05:12:13 pm »

Ooh, another of these threads.

So okay, if you want to solve the worlds problems, obviously the first step is to figure out what they are. Anybody have an idea of how to do that?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2015, 05:17:39 pm »

Purge the infidels and usher in a new era ruled by our overlords from the space between the cracks where only dreams may go?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2015, 05:24:22 pm »

Ooh, another of these threads.

So okay, if you want to solve the worlds problems, obviously the first step is to figure out what they are. Anybody have an idea of how to do that?

Easy.  Here are the BIG problems in my eyes, along with sub issues.

1)  Poverty
  - Hunger
  - Homelessness
  - Mental Illness
  - Access to Health Care
2)  Environment
  - Global Warming
  - Ocean Acidification
  - Air Pollution as a health issue.
3)  National Issues
  - Corruption
  - War
  - Bigotry
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 05:27:10 pm by Levi »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2015, 05:35:37 pm »

Old post but...

No, no, I'm pretty sure the sun's eventual expansion is the world's biggest problem. That's actually fairly likely to flat wipe it out -- most we're likely to manage any time soon is annihilation of most of the biosphere, which is kinda' like worrying about a minor mold infestation insofar as the world's concerned.

We must destroy the Sun before it destroys us.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2015, 10:52:15 pm »

Regarding corruption, What if we purged all pro-business lobbyists. That would be one way to get rid of regulatory capture. If only there were some way to do it without backlash.

EDIT:
What if they were subtly pushed into developing debilitating and potentially dangerous addictions

-------------------

Idea 26:  Start large scale funding and production of artificial diamonds.  Airdrop the diamonds all over the place to make diamonds worthless, thus ending the blood diamond trade.

I like the way you think. Hell, even if the blood diamond trade wasn't a thing I'd still support this idea because I hate jewelry too (now if there was a way to do this with gold)

On a related note, did anyone else root for the villains in the movie Hudson Hawk after they revealed their master plan?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:55:58 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2015, 12:42:50 am »

Idea 29: Shit, did you guys see Mad Max: Fury Road? That shit was tight, I wouldn't mind nuclear bombing everything into desert if we got motorcycles like that. And that guitar, hot damn. I'd go shirtless and throw grenade spears every day if I could. Poverty? Currency is a dead idea. World hunger? The only people alive congregate around the few hydroponic farms, so technically we're feeding everybody. Racism? Everyone's tan as fuck or paints themselves white, who gives a damn. Everyone is equal in their ability to drive a car and throw wicked fucking spears I mean oh my god they explode and everything I want to live in that world
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2015, 05:03:24 pm »

Man, why is almost every persons suggestion  "kill all the people" in this thread.  Its a bit depressing.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2015, 05:04:11 pm »

Snark is easy. Actual attempts to solve problems are hard.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8