Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A surveyor's life for me  (Read 2467 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A surveyor's life for me
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 10:24:56 am »

Plan B:  Steal steel anvils.
The scene of the (planned) crime.

Dismantled some forges, stole some steel anvils. Actually, only one. I melted it down and got one steel bar.

And a little later, here we are with the first thing off the new forge.

So why an enormous steel corkscrew? A little secret that most dwarves in the business already know. Things are going to be a bit repetitive for a while around here. After a day and a half I have four steel bars, and no charcoal. At this rate I estimate it will take 30 days to be fully equipped in steel. Eh, I don't have that much patience. Anyway half a day later ...

*steel short sword* ladydwarves and gentledwarves. Boo-yeah! :D

I give the other three steel short swords that didn't come out as well to my companions. I also 'give' Luc, the Human swordsman, a steel anvil. He says, "How kind, thank you!" Sucker. :P Now I don't have to carry it everywhere. I'm not sure what do do or where to go next, I'll sleep on it.
()==[:::::::::::::>

deepfield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 10:31:33 am »

Enjoying this :) Good job!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 12:53:03 pm »

I mark the date: 27th Granite, 200. About 12 days since I started my journey. Looking back, I have found several potentially interesting sites, but I can't say that one stands out as outstanding. The volcano site had no trees, the savannah site had few trees, the site with the huge river had no iron ore. The jungle on the edge of the mountains by Buffrack was promising, to be honest honestly it would probably do quite well. I've got a taste for travel, though, and I want somewhere with scenery that will make dwarves step back in wonder when they first arrive. I have barely travelled over 1/16th of the world. I think I can do better.

Well, dramatic speeches are all very well but it's hard work that butters parsnips.

I decide to follow the river to the North, and South, where it exits the rocky foothills of the mountains by Ivoryink. The north tribute is pretty uninspiring. In a word - flat. No gorges, waterfalls or cliffs.

On the way south I stop by Ivoryink and make myself a sweet new *honey badger leather cloak*. Tun, the macedwarf, got a +jaguar leather cloak+.

The south tributary is even more boring than the North. Although we do spot the exact point at which a brook becomes a river.

I haven't been to Lovelyanvil yet, although I've met the supposed Baroness of Lovelyanvil. Lovelyanvil is close to a goblin Darkpit. A fortress in that location would at least be interesting and, for some dwarves 'fun'.

I decide to head north.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 02:02:46 pm »

Whoa! They grow their insects big around here!

A fortress around here is going to need plenty of cage traps, I believe.

Uh-oh. We encounter a small group of Giant Capybara and Disem, one of my companions, charges them. They may be timid but they are also HUGE. I hope this doesn't end badly. And now a giant slug. Luckily my companions prove more than sufficient to the challenge.

A few hours' walk further north I come across an interesting site in the hot dense jungle where two tributaries of a river join.

It is about half way between Ivoryink and the dark pit Lostmalign. The river runs through a gorge and turns sharply left and right through a hilly landscape. The area is plagued by alligators and is not far from where we saw those giant animals. It also has Dolomite, Magnetite and white sand.

Just after crossing a river gorge right next to the goblin dark pits I run into a trio of alligators. The first one spots me, and I have to fight it. I take it down easily, then I get cocky. I kill the second one from behind. The third one is tougher. It grabs onto my right foot and won't let go for anything. Until my foot lets go. From my leg.

I liked my right foot. It was my favourite one. With the shock, or something, I can't seem to use my sword? I batter it repeatedly with my shield but to little effect. It was a drawn out battle but my companions finally turned up and finished it before I bled to death.

But will this be the end of my travels?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 04:05:55 pm »

Well, here we are.

This is going to take a bit of getting used to.

Lovelyanvil is right next to a lair, known as 'shellsbirds', a roc lurks there. Not a place I want to visit with only one foot. Or, indeed, at any time. Lovelyanvil has a lot of looms, and I have a backpack full of thread. Apparently I have no idea how to work looms, though, so I drop the thread here.

This area is still in the Dolomite/Magnetite/White sand geological region. Further down there is tetrahedrite and kimberlite. Quite a lot of kimberlite, in fact. This would probably be a good place to go hunting for diamonds, for those with the patience. Lovelyanvil is quite cosmopolitan, with more humans than I've ever seen in a dwarf site before. Deep in the fortress I meet the Queen Consort. The Queen herself isn't in this fortress, I've seen her before far away.

I'm getting quite good at walking with a crutch. Not that it compares to having two feet, but I'm coping.

I'm tempted to turn East towards the sea. I've never been on a beach before. North is the fortress ruin Cobaltsly, but in the end I decide to turn back West and visit the Fortress Windrings. There's a patch of this land near there that I have skirted around but know nothing of, and it niggles at me like a pebble in my boot. Which reminds me, I can only wear ONE of the *pond leather high boot*s I made now. (sigh).

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2014, 04:55:06 pm »

The surface outcroppings of rock on the mountains and foothils between Lovelyanvil and Windrings continue to be mainly Dolomite and Magnetite. Just before Lovelyanvil I come across a gentle waterfall where a brook falls from the mountains to the temperate forest below.

I spend a while being soothed by the mists there. The best sort of waterfall is one where you can't fall in and drown.

Windrings is an interesting fortress in that the dwarf fortress is surrounded by goblin towers. This is obviously somewhere the dwarves liberated from goblins, although who owned if first I don't know.

Crap! It appears the goblins have taken the fortress from the dwarves, not the other way around!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Now Recruiting! : A surveyor's life for me (or YOU)
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2014, 06:11:40 am »

With one foot I cannot hope to run. Like my cowardly companions do. Still, at least I know they have my travel journal with them. The mountain hall my yet use that information to found a new fortress. Maybe they'll even put up a memorial slab for me. I turn to the goblins and make my stand.

Well, what now? That is up to you!

The mountain hall needs a new surveyor to prepare a fortress site. You can either travel to one of the locations I've described in this thread, or go further afield. If you are interested reply here. I suggest the next player stick with it until their hero dies or until they successfully prepare a fortress site. Take as long as you like and report the results. Please don't cheat with LegendViewer or similar. :P

I'm putting the save file up on DFFD. The save uses Phoebus' Graphics Set, dfhack and the latest Adventurer Fort version. I will also upload a version with everything pre-installed into a copy of DF 0.40.19 for Windows.

This game requires dfhack so should not be updated past DF 0.40.19 until dfhack has been.

File: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10318

File w/DF included: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10319
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 06:46:55 am by ptb_ptb »
Pages: 1 [2]