Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Homosexual livestock need tweaking?  (Read 1840 times)

Sasquatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Homosexual livestock need tweaking?
« on: December 17, 2014, 07:21:28 pm »

Two games in a row, both of my boars have liked boars. Also in both games 2/3 sows have liked sows. I know I could start with more animals, or buy from traders, but this seems a bit much. The wiki says there is a 1.2% chance of homosexuality. I'm experiencing over 50% here. Out of 5 pigs, only 1 is interested in breeding.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Homosexual livestock need tweaking?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 07:28:31 pm »

Bad luck?
Well, you know I embarked with 6 animals, all of them are female! ::)

But after I bought some males from the merchants, soon I found I had to geld most of the males or my fort be drowned by kittens/puppies.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 07:34:29 pm »

How exactly are you determining your animals' sexuality? It could be that they're simply "uninterested" or "unwilling to marry", which has been brought up a number of times as a problem.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 07:50:51 pm »

You can't without using Therapist, unfortunately.

I just geld all adults and slaughter the extra. When the puppies grow up, I wait for new born puppies then geld and kill the older ones.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Sasquatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 08:16:23 pm »

How exactly are you determining your animals' sexuality? It could be that they're simply "uninterested" or "unwilling to marry", which has been brought up a number of times as a problem.

Dwarf Therapist

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 08:26:49 pm »

Bad luck?
Wasn't that a deliberate choice? They're sold by gender.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 08:48:09 pm »

Bad luck?
Wasn't that a deliberate choice? They're sold by gender.
No I always use "Play Now!". It's random.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 11:37:08 pm »

It's true there's only a 1.5% chance for homosexuality, but there's a far higher chance for asexuality or bisexuality. There's a roll for attraction to each gender with the default chances being 75% for not homosexual 20% for being willing to enter lover but not marrying and 5% for marrying with the reverse for heterosexual. For animals this ends up meaning a 25% of not having children because animals need to be willing to marry to have children. I think there's a simple fix in just allowing non-civilized creatures to breed at lover status leaving a 5% chance of not being able to have children which I think is good considering that it is something that can happen in real life.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 12:02:50 am »

If you add [ORIENTATION:MALE:0:0:100][ORIENTATION:FEMALE:100:0:0] to the female caste and [ORIENTATION:FEMALE:0:0:100][ORIENTATION:MALE:100:0:0] to the male caste, the given creature will be effectively heterosexual.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 12:47:52 am »

You can use gui/gm-editor with DFHack to make critters straight.

I'm not making a script for that because it makes me feel icky.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 03:17:57 am »

I'm not making a script for that because it makes me feel icky.
I'm just thinking about your male pregnancy thing and wondering how this is any worse.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 03:26:20 am »

Mostly possible sadism.

Sasquatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 03:09:07 pm »

That's the odd part though. I have 0 bisexual animals currently in this game. RNG hates me and doesn't want me to have food.

I will look into the DFHack thing to fix one of the boars. Hopefully I won't feel "icky" lol. :)